Reload this Page >

Staying in Chicago area for 3 weeks this October

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staying in Chicago area for 3 weeks this October

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
How is the site coming along? The start date for my arrival has been pushed back like three times. I’m supposed to fly out October 3rd. I have my own EZ pass, so I’ll bring it. I know the car rental company will charge extra. I have iPhone, so Google maps, etc., so won’t need GPS. The description of the immediate is very helpful, thank you.
Before I started working here, I thought that it went live due to seeing trailers in the yard already. But now, as you say, It's delayed. I don't know many details yet as it's not my site. Hopefully the launch goes well and you don't spend too much time here.
As far I know, I will be still be on site in October. I live 20 minutes away, so this will be the closest site I've worked in the last 5 years. I spent some time at MDW7 and that one is half hour away, everything else is a flight away or two hour away.
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
It looks like there aren't nicer hotels in Homewood, so you'll probably get a hotel in Calumet City or further west in Tinley or Orland Park. In that case I suggest you stay in those two as there is a bit more to do than further east towards Indiana.
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Putnik
It looks like there aren't nicer hotels in Homewood, so you'll probably get a hotel in Calumet City or further west in Tinley or Orland Park. In that case I suggest you stay in those two as there is a bit more to do than further east towards Indiana.
Were you at the Matteson FC? That's about 4 blocks from me. Or is there another FC going up in Markham?
Forgot about downtown Homewood and Flossmoor,, both very nice. Good call.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:17 pm

I was not at the Matteson FC, that's also a new one. Another recent one was in University Park, right next to I57. There is a new FC in Markham too, right off 159th and next to 294.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Away team has been pushed back to 10/17. Well, more time to plan.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Its been something watching Matteson being a beehive of activity one week and appear all but idle the next two. Feel free to reach out with anything else, and you can pm me if you like.
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Snuggs
Its been something watching Matteson being a beehive of activity one week and appear all but idle the next two. Feel free to reach out with anything else, and you can pm me if you like.
I’m going to Markham. IGQ1 is the building designation. I’m excited to be on the Away Team. I’ll just need to make a few new plans as I will have weekends off. Chicago is a huge city.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:49 am

Sorry about that, but we're still having material and manpower issues. Hopefully both get solved this week.

Originally Posted by Snuggs
That's how Amazon does it. Hurry up and and then wait.

I’m going to Markham. IGQ1 is the building designation. I’m excited to be on the Away Team. I’ll just need to make a few new plans as I will have weekends off. Chicago is a huge city.
Fall in this area is fun. Most people that aren't local to site have hotels in Tinley Park, so that's where you'll probably end up.

This is my first time with the new generation of AR buildings so I'm pretty excited to see it run.

Here's the city from the 5th floor break room.

Last edited by Putnik; Sep 20, 2021 at 6:55 am
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
The reason why I want to try deep disk pizza, is because I’ve never had, but my go to is thin crispy crust. There’s a place in Squirrel Hill, in Pittsburgh, Aiello's, which is my favorite. I always ask for extra thin and crispy. As for the Second City, and the Blues Brothers attractions, thank you.
A bit off topic, but if you are a wine drinker you might want to check out my personal "go to" wine merchant who is a few miles west of Matteson just off I-80 in New Lenox.

https://www.thewinecellargroup.com/joliet/

Call/email Eric (the manager) and see what the specials/sale items are when you are around. I can often get very decent European wines that normally retail for $15 - $25 (or more) a bottle for close to half price. I drive down there a couple of times a year (it is a 45 minute drive from my house in the NW burbs) and fill up the cargo are of my sport-ute with multiple cases.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:42 pm
BCH

If you're looking to try some great restaurants, here are my faves:

- Ema. It's Mediterranean in River North neighborhood. Easy to get to and lots of things to see around it, too. But make reservations now.
- Aba. Sister restaurant to Ema, above. Similar cuisine but a bit more upscale vibe (at least to me). Make reservations now.
- The Little Goat diner. In West Loop neighborhood.
- Quartino's in River North. Italian classics in a great, casual and modern setting. My favorite place to sit is upstairs on the balcony.

I'm not much of a shopper, but rather than Magnificent Mile, I'd suggest Oak Street shopping (turn West on Oak Street off Michigan Avenue) and meander from there. Or Armitage Street (take the L to "Armitage" stop). Or Clark Street in Andersonville.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Sorry about that, but we're still having material and manpower issues. Hopefully both get solved this week.

Fall in this area is fun. Most people that aren't local to site have hotels in Tinley Park, so that's where you'll probably end up.

This is my first time with the new generation of AR buildings so I'm pretty excited to see it run.

Wow, what a view! Five floors, that’s a huge building.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
A bit off topic, but if you are a wine drinker you might want to check out my personal "go to" wine merchant who is a few miles west of Matteson just off I-80 in New Lenox.

https://www.thewinecellargroup.com/joliet/

Call/email Eric (the manager) and see what the specials/sale items are when you are around. I can often get very decent European wines that normally retail for $15 - $25 (or more) a bottle for close to half price. I drive down there a couple of times a year (it is a 45 minute drive from my house in the NW burbs) and fill up the cargo are of my sport-ute with multiple cases.
I’ll pass this info on, but I don’t drink.

Last edited by CosmosHuman; Sep 21, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BCH
If you're looking to try some great restaurants, here are my faves:

- Ema. It's Mediterranean in River North neighborhood. Easy to get to and lots of things to see around it, too. But make reservations now.
- Aba. Sister restaurant to Ema, above. Similar cuisine but a bit more upscale vibe (at least to me). Make reservations now.
- The Little Goat diner. In West Loop neighborhood.
- Quartino's in River North. Italian classics in a great, casual and modern setting. My favorite place to sit is upstairs on the balcony.

I'm not much of a shopper, but rather than Magnificent Mile, I'd suggest Oak Street shopping (turn West on Oak Street off Michigan Avenue) and meander from there. Or Armitage Street (take the L to "Armitage" stop). Or Clark Street in Andersonville.
Great ideas, thanks. Looking to go to the Nike store..
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For restaurant ideas, go to the CommunityBuzz forum and look for various (and frequent) Chicago area DOs focused on a meal. Join if one coincides with your dates, but also look at past DO threads for restaurant recommendations. The usual organizer is an adventurous foodie.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:54 pm

Wow, what a view! Five floors, that’s a huge building.
It seems to me that it's the tallest building between here and Chicago. It's pretty big. 4 full floors of AR field.
CosmosHuman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.