Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

ORD Terminal 5 discussion (more recent posts)

ORD Terminal 5 discussion (more recent posts)

Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why are TSA screeners at ORD T5 screening checkpoints still so often stubbornly demanding passports be used for the passenger ID at screening checkpoints. The last time in this situation, I did the screening checkpoint shuffle because I wasn’t going to dig out another acceptable form of ID — and do another ID dance on demand by the TSA TDCer — when my GE card meets the TSA’s published and other formal standards for acceptable passenger ID to clear the screening checkpoints.

That the GE card may not scan so easily for a database check doesn’t invalidate the card from meeting the TSA’s formal ID requirements.
I know this is late, but let me ask the TSA Stakeholder Representative about this.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ords
I know this is late, but let me ask the TSA Stakeholder Representative about this.
Thanks.

And while at it, perhaps a reminder that the TSA should stick to TSA policy about ID not being required of minors to clear the TSA travel document check & screening checkpoint. Passengers having to dig out passports again — including for children, when not required under federal regulations — slows things down more than minimally necessary.

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I noticed recently that screening at SFO (and LAX) asks for ID only, not boarding pass, as the system has them linked. I should try my GE card next time (rather than my Real ID).
I used my GE card as ID to clear the screening checkpoints at SFO this summer, but I also hand paper boarding passes as per my usual habit with them. GE cards accepted as usual for ID @ SFO, unlike with what I’ve repeatedly observed at ORD T5 even this summer. At ORD T5, I’ve had to do the security checkpoint shuffle to stick to my GE card as ID routine — not always, but too often.
vanillabean likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 3, 2021 at 5:28 am
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
It was posted in the BA forum that the BA lounges in T5 are open again. My last T5 departure (this past June) the BA lounges were closed.

Has anyone more recently noticed if the BA lounges are open or not?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cheltzel
It was posted in the BA forum that the BA lounges in T5 are open again. My last T5 departure (this past June) the BA lounges were closed.

Has anyone more recently noticed if the BA lounges are open or not?
They were not open on 9/3/21.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Went through T5 in May and September. To call it a terd hole is an insult to terd holes. The AF/KLM lounge was always awful, but is now truly terrible as the construction has blocked all the windows. Hub 51 is the best place to spend time, but it is very crowded. And it too is not very good. Bottom line, the terminal is an embarrassment. Hopefully it gets better after the construction.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Went through T5 in May and September. To call it a terd hole is an insult to terd holes. The AF/KLM lounge was always awful, but is now truly terrible as the construction has blocked all the windows.
Yes, I like the SFO one much better.

The SAS lounge was very closed a week ago,

Old Sep 24, 2021, 2:16 pm

They were not open on 9/3/21.
The post on the BA forum was last week. Hopefully someone who goes through T5 soon can give an update.

Went through T5 in May and September. To call it a terd hole is an insult to terd holes. The AF/KLM lounge was always awful, but is now truly terrible as the construction has blocked all the windows. Hub 51 is the best place to spend time, but it is very crowded. And it too is not very good. Bottom line, the terminal is an embarrassment. Hopefully it gets better after the construction.
I couldn't agree more with your opinion on the current state of T5. The sad part is the AF/KL lounge is possibly one of the high points of a departure from T5.

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Yes, I like the SFO one much better.

The SAS lounge was very closed a week ago,
Did you get a chance to see if the BA lounge was open?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Did you get a chance to see if the BA lounge was open?
My wife tells me she noticed the BA lounge was closed as we walked by.

The Swiss across AF/KLM was open, but the no-PP sign was outside much of the time even though seats appeared available.

We spent our time at the very crowded AF/KLM lounge. Liquor was self-serve.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: UA MM
Can't you say that about everything going through a major reconstruction?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:14 pm

Linked is an article from last week on ORD T5 construction status. Several recent aeriel photos are included.

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/o...ruction-photos

Last edited by JimInOhio; Sep 27, 2021 at 9:33 pm
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Linked is an article from last week on ORD T5 construction status. Several recent aeriel photos are included.

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/ohare-airport-terminal-5-expansion-construction-photos
There is a disconnect between the text in the URL and the actual target URL contained in the link itself.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:32 pm

There is a disconnect between the text in the URL and the actual target URL contained in the link itself.
Thank you. I *think* it’s fixed now.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:16 am

Thank you. I *think* it’s fixed now.
I was looking for the photo gallery on the original target URL and couldn't find it.

Now we need a betting pool on when T5 will actually be completed.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:30 am

I was looking for the photo gallery on the original target URL and couldn't find it.

Now we need a betting pool on when T5 will actually be completed.
Do you see the "Gallery" link in the first image now?

As for when it will be done, maybe the DL forum folks have as good idea as anyone.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:54 am

Do you see the "Gallery" link in the first image now?

As for when it will be done, maybe the DL forum folks have as good idea as anyone.
I've international departures (2 in all) already booked & scheduled for 2022. After the ATS fiasco, I am expecting absolutely nothing when it comes to facilities and services at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.