Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

ORD Terminal 5 discussion (more recent posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD Terminal 5 discussion (more recent posts)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:35 pm

If one is flying Frontier from Terminal 5, is one allowed to go through security at Terminal 1, 2, or 3, and take the Terminal Transfer Bus to Terminal 5, or is this not allowed because one does not have a boarding pass for an international flight?

Last edited by guflyer; Nov 8, 2019 at 10:24 am Reason: I made a mistake and typed "fling" instead of flying
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
If one is fling Frontier from Terminal 5, is one allowed to go through security at Terminal 1, 2, or 3, and take the Terminal Transfer Bus to Terminal 5, or is this not allowed because one does not have a boarding pass for an international flight?
If you scroll to a few older posts there are multiple discussions of this. You likely could pass security in Terminal 3 but, given the timing of the airside bus, the actual time savings is probably negligible.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by AAguy1979
If you scroll to a few older posts there are multiple discussions of this. You likely could pass security in Terminal 3 but, given the timing of the airside bus, the actual time savings is probably negligible.
Thank you very much for your response, it is greatly appreciated. Upon searching the thread, I could not find the answer, but perhaps the search function did not work as well as intended. Whenever I have taken the TTB from T3 to T5, I have been asked to show both my boarding pass and my passport. So this made me wonder whether I would run into an issue if my boarding pass was for a domestic flight on Frontier.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by guflyer
Thank you very much for your response, it is greatly appreciated. Upon searching the thread, I could not find the answer, but perhaps the search function did not work as well as intended. Whenever I have taken the TTB from T3 to T5, I have been asked to show both my boarding pass and my passport. So this made me wonder whether I would run into an issue if my boarding pass was for a domestic flight on Frontier.
I posted this data point in the dedicated busing thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31531454-post237.html

tl;dr: I cleared security at T3 for my F9 flight, and just showed them my ID when asked for a passport. 10 minutes total from CP8 to gate M1.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:17 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I am glad to know that this can be done and is very helpful for the next time when I fly F9 out of Chicago.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by linglingfool
When I was last through in late September, there was a full Pre line established, complete with another gatekeeper to check you had been given one of the laminated Pre cards. Much different and better experience than the last time I was through in June.
Yes, it's changed from what it was in the early part of the summer.

Now, at some point in the middle of they evening they may stop giving out those laminated Pre cards. One evening earlier this month, I went via the PreCheck line at T5 and they didn't hand out the cards despite us all having PreCheck on our boarding passes and using the PreCheck noted line on the way to the TSA travel document checker. And an earlier time when they handed out the cards, the TSA at the screening checkpoing still wanted electronics out before letting the bins with bags go through the regular baggage scanner.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:34 am

Does anybody know if the T5 baggage re-check hall operates 24/7? My international flight won't arrive until 8:30pm and my connecting flight with United leaves the next day at 7am. I am fairly sure that I could get my bags tagged all the way to my final destination, but would like to avoid having to bring those bags to the domestic terminal myself.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
The recheck desk is certainly open, but I have no idea if they'll accept the baggage that early.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by linglingfool
The recheck desk is certainly open, but I have no idea if they'll accept the baggage that early.
If the bag is already tagged, the people working there tend not to even look at the details of the baggage/reservation all that closely in my experience. Most times they seem to not look closely at all when my bag is already tagged for the onward flight, and I just hand it over on the sub-12 hour overnight connections at ORD. It's when my bag requires tagging at ORD for the flight from ORD onward that I end up having to deal with airline reps who pay closer attention.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
LX announces that their Terminal 5 lounges will not reopen. As posted by one of the moderators on the LX forum (link).

LX's lounge complex in T5 will not reopen, they have returned the property to the airport and will make arrangements with a contract lounge.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 12:32 pm
BCH

Originally Posted by cheltzel
LX announces that their Terminal 5 lounges will not reopen. As posted by one of the moderators on the LX forum (link).
That lounge was nothing special, and there is another Star Alliance lounge still (SAS, I believe) that LX flyers can use.

Maybe AmEx can lease that space for The Centurion Lounge - although it's probably waaaaaaay too small for that.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by BCH
That lounge was nothing special, and there is another Star Alliance lounge still (SAS, I believe) that LX flyers can use.

Maybe AmEx can lease that space for The Centurion Lounge - although it's probably waaaaaaay too small for that.
None of the lounges in T5 are anything special. The BA First Dining is pretty good, but their lounges are just OK.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cheltzel
The Swissport lounge across from the AF-KL lounge was open last month for Priority Pass use too.

The SAS lounge was not open last month even to SAS business class flyers, so we went to the Swissport lounge using PP — not the closed old Swiss lounge — as the AF-KL lounge didn’t want us for some reason and the other ORD T5 lounges weren’t relevant (if they are even open).

Not sure when SAS will reopen its lounge at ORD, but my ORD-CPH flights — even last month — have been overwhelmingly empty in all classes of service since mid-March 2020. Once business class travel volume picks up for SAS flights out of ORD, then I’d expect to see it reopen. But it may come down to how much the airport wants to charge for the space in the years ahead and how many Star Alliance business class customers there are out of ORD T5. .

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 5, 2021 at 7:29 am
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Swissport lounge across from the AF-KL lounge was open last month for Priority Pass use too.

The SAS lounge was not open last month even to SAS business class flyers, so we went to the Swissport lounge using PP — not the closed old Swiss lounge — as the AF-KL lounge didn’t want us for some reason and the other ORD T5 lounges weren’t relevant (if they are even open).

Not sure when SAS will reopen its lounge at ORD, but my ORD-CPH flights — even last month — have been overwhelmingly empty in all classes of service since mid-March 2020. Once business class travel volume picks up for SAS flights out of ORD, then I’d expect to see it reopen. But it may come down to how much the airport wants to charge for the space in the years ahead and how many Star Alliance business class customers there are out of ORD T5. .
I'm glad to see that Swissport lounge is open again. Prior to the pandemic, it was the contract lounge for Turkish (and others) and we will have a TK flight coming up early in 2022. Hopefully we will have accoess to this lounge when we fly.

We will be flying on QR in a couple of days and hopefully I will be able to post a mini trip report here as to how the AF/KL lounge looks these days.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:15 pm

In the AF/KL lounge now and it is pretty basic. Some cold cheese sandwiches in the refrigerator. Lots of chips and other snack items. Cold pop and beer in the refrigerator. A couple of decent wines available for free pour. About 6 bottles of hard spirits for open pour as well. Currently about 6:15 PM and the lounge is about 40% occupied.

The Swissport Lounge is open. Verified it is serving TK passengers. I walked the length of the M concourse and I did not see any other lounges open.

I forgot to add that we were pleased to see the addition of a true TSA Precheck line at T5 . We went through security line 10. Through security at around 5:00 PM in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jun 9, 2021 at 4:10 am Reason: Add Precheck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.