How Is Chicago for Travel These Days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Is Chicago for Travel These Days?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fine with me if there's a handy mobile app.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Fine with me if there's a handy mobile app.
IDPH Vax Verify is interoperable with the SMART Health Card standard.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX Gold
If one if fully vaccinated and boostered in another country, will these business establishments honor the vaccine certificate issued by a another country?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by boybi
If one if fully vaccinated and boostered in another country, will these business establishments honor the vaccine certificate issued by a another country?
Depends on the establishment. I've been to some where they did a close look at the vaccine card to match my ID and others where they just waved me in with a quick flash of the *back* of the vaccine card and no ID check. Bottom line, they want your business.
boybi likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I went to Chicago 12/21-22. Everything felt normal though to go to the Lyric Opera we had to show proof of vaccination and ID which caused a big bottleneck to get in. The fact that it was cold did not help.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
New requirements due to Covid spread

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/site...quirement.html
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
To say nothing of the rampant car jackings and “flash-mob” attacks on both retail locations and individuals. Sure, your actual odds of being affected are small, yet they are 10x - 20x what they were.
LETTERBOY, cheltzel and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Snuggs
To say nothing of the rampant car jackings and “flash-mob” attacks on both retail locations and individuals. Sure, your actual odds of being affected are small, yet they are 10x - 20x what they were.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy
I didn’t post this to forward any political or social view point. I’m not looking to turn this into an anti Chicago thread. If one person arrives in our beleaguered city with an increased situational awareness, it’s worth the cost of the eye roll.

I only feel guilty for not posting this weeks/months ago. These things are happening in the heart of our city, not in the mean streets where I grew up. It’s winter: How can it be getting worse?

Please travel safe, but also, keep your situational awareness and travel smart. We want you back here in better days.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Is it true about more crises in Chicago? Nytimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/28/u...e=articleShare

Violence in Chicago is a pressing concern, as carjackings, shootings and homicides all spiked in 2020 and 2021.

On Wednesday night, a police officer on patrol downtown shot a man. The authorities said that the man was inside a vehicle taken in a carjacking, and that someone in the car had fired at the police. Days earlier, an 8-year-old girl was shot and killed while crossing a street with her mother in the Little Village neighborhood; a 16-year-old was later charged with murder.

Donovan Price, a pastor who goes to shooting scenes to assist victims’ families, said his work felt particularly bleak in the past year.

“The amount of children shot in general, the amount of mass shootings, just the feel that things were out of control,” said Mr. Price, who lives on the South Side.

Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
Is it true about more crises in Chicago? Nytimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/28/u...e=articleShare
Nobody likes the mayor of Chicago, tale as old as time.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:46 am

If you are from a major US city, you already know how it is. Chicago is not unique.

LA blames their DA. They are casting a recall vote to send him back to SFO.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Snuggs
If you are from a major US city, you already know how it is. Chicago is not unique.

LA blames their DA. They are casting a recall vote to send him back to SFO.
We don't want him and in the midst of recalling our own DA. Both these twits should start a practice for pro-bono work, because that's about all their services would be worth.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Chicago is always great, and it's a world class city in so many ways. It remains on my sort of longish short-list of preferred major cities for living/working and to host visitors; and it remains on my short short-list of preferred major US cities. Are there things that I don't like about Chicago? Sure, but that can be said about a lot of great cities around the country, and yet that doesn't change what makes Chicago a great city to visit and even stay.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:21 am

Chicago is a great place. Biz people around the country have told me that they love to hire Chicago-ians for their moral compass and work ethic. As a child my (extended) neighborhood boasted the Pullman Car Company, Bernie Mac and the birthplace of the Special Oympics (notwithstanding the shameful and pathetic claims of the Kennedy-Shriver family). That's just one neighborhood. What a great place. And it's my life long home. Where I've build six thriving businesses.

If I asked someone how things were in a place I am unfamiliar with because current affairs begged the question about safety, I would wonder why they are telling me how much they like the place. But, maybe that's like the blind date thing: "What do they look like?". "Well, they have a great personality". Maybe plastic surgery is what we need. The foundation seems strong, just a little ugly on the edges right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.