Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Is there any valid reason why MDW doesn't have priority lanes yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure why they didn't in the past, but now that MDW is completely rebuilt, with way more security space than ever needed, why on earth don't they have a priority lane yet?

CLEAR just started service there, but what's stopping the Priority lane for airlines (Fly By, etc.)?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Way more space than ever needed? You apparently haven't been to MDW on a busy travel day when the security line is backed up past the escalators into the terminal, or on rare occasion as far as the parking garage entrance.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Way more space than ever needed? You apparently haven't been to MDW on a busy travel day when the security line is backed up past the escalators into the terminal, or on rare occasion as far as the parking garage entrance.
I've absolutely been in that parking garage in line before. 4 lanes with two body scanners and a pair of TSA lanes to handle that many were way too few.

You obviously haven't been there since they've re-done everything?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
So I'm confused. You seem to know how inadequately small the security area is. How do you see converting an existing line into a priority line as a way to speed things up? They are just going to jam up at the scanners where the lines will have to zipper. It would be mildly interesting to know whether any of the airlines would be willing to pay for this feature.

They could expand things, if they dumped the food court, but the airport owner would suffer reduced tax revenues and judgng from the press on the last catering contract shakeup, limit their (alleged) kickback targets.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN does not have F/J, so "priority" would be based on status. Status presumes a relatively regular flier and my guess is that market research shows that those folks likely have Pre-Check. Priority does not speed up screening, just a shorter line and a relic.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Snuggs
So I'm confused. You seem to know how inadequately small the security area is. How do you see converting an existing line into a priority line as a way to speed things up? They are just going to jam up at the scanners where the lines will have to zipper. It would be mildly interesting to know whether any of the airlines would be willing to pay for this feature.

They could expand things, if they dumped the food court, but the airport owner would suffer reduced tax revenues and judgng from the press on the last catering contract shakeup, limit their (alleged) kickback targets.
While the TSA administers these areas, I believe that the airports and/or airlines at a specific location actually pay for the construction and maintenance of the security facilities. If this is true, then it is a question for the CDA and WN as I believe WN is something like 90% of the traffic at MDW.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cheltzel
While the TSA administers these areas, I believe that the airports and/or airlines at a specific location actually pay for the construction and maintenance of the security facilities. If this is true, then it is a question for the CDA and WN as I believe WN is something like 90% of the traffic at MDW.
Priority areas and lanes are paid for by the administration of the airport. That could be a carrier, or the airport authority (however it is operated). The only matters TSA regulates is access to Pre-Check.

If you fly round-trip 4x a year, Pre-Check costs $2.13 each time you use it. That includes the use of the mag., shoes, 3-1-1 and other features. On average the line moves 7x the speed of a standard line whether priority or not.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Often1
WN does not have F/J, so "priority" would be based on status. Status presumes a relatively regular flier and my guess is that market research shows that those folks likely have Pre-Check. Priority does not speed up screening, just a shorter line and a relic.
Back in 2019 at MKE, I encountered a Pre-Check line that was about twice as long as the priority line. I was eligible, so despite having Pre-Check, I used the priority line. Turns out it would have been faster to use the longer Pre-Check line as it moved way faster.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
Back in 2019 at MKE, I encountered a Pre-Check line that was about twice as long as the priority line. I was eligible, so despite having Pre-Check, I used the priority line. Turns out it would have been faster to use the longer Pre-Check line as it moved way faster.
It's a common misconception as well as rant on FT.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It's a common misconception as well as rant on FT.
That experience made me appreciate Pre-Check all the more. It's really noticeable in a Pre-Check line when someone gets the routine wrong and slows everything down. It's noticeable because it doesn't happen that often. Happens all the time in the other lines.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dhuey
It's really noticeable in a Pre-Check line when someone gets the routine wrong and slows everything down. It's noticeable because it doesn't happen that often..
I get having a bad day, or being preoccupied, but about half the time I'm standing in Pre-Check behind one or more that act like they have never flown before. All you can do is stand and wonder, how or why did they get Pre-Check...
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:28 am
Suspended

I get having a bad day, or being preoccupied, but about half the time I'm standing in Pre-Check behind one or more that act like they have never flown before. All you can do is stand and wonder, how or why did they get Pre-Check...
Sadly there is no IQ minimum for GE or Pre-Check.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:29 pm

I'm not sure what current practices are, but there have been lots of passengers given one-off Pre-Check eligibility. I think it was something of a marketing ploy to encourage more sign-ups.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:54 am
Original Poster

They upgraded the security area and finished it last year. It's HUGE now. Which brings me to my question. There's no reason they shouldn't have Priority lanes at this point. They already have CLEAR, which is probably because they lobbied to be there first - but.. there's 10x more room now than they probably need at MDW.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dbornack
They upgraded the security area and finished it last year. It's HUGE now. Which brings me to my question. There's no reason they shouldn't have Priority lanes at this point. They already have CLEAR, which is probably because they lobbied to be there first - but.. there's 10x more room now than they probably need at MDW.
There is no "they". WN has to pay for a priority lane if it wants one. That can be an expensive proposition at an airport where they can't split it with 9 other carriers.

CLEAR is there because CLEAR is paying.

I have to imagine that WN has looked at the market and figured out the reality that widespread priority lanes are dodo birds, The market it seeks has Pre-Check, CLEAR or both. Put another way, how many are jumping ship to another carrier over this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.