Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL late arrival rental car?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:56 am
Original Poster

STL late arrival rental car?

I’m flying into STL this week at 10:50pm. Thanks to COVID all the rental agencies close at 10:00pm and don’t offer any sort of after hours pick up. Does anybody know of a rental agency in STL that can accommodate my late arrival?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:05 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by youranut
I’m flying into STL this week at 10:50pm. Thanks to COVID all the rental agencies close at 10:00pm and don’t offer any sort of after hours pick up. Does anybody know of a rental agency in STL that can accommodate my late arrival?
While a bit of an unorthodox solution, maybe try Turo to just rent/borrow a car for a day or so until the rental agencies open up the next day.

Or if you're staying fairly close to STL, Uber/Lyft to your destination then go back the next day to rent a car.
youranut likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e
While a bit of an unorthodox solution, maybe try Turo to just rent/borrow a car for a day or so until the rental agencies open up the next day.

Or if you're staying fairly close to STL, Uber/Lyft to your destination then go back the next day to rent a car.
thanks for the suggestion. I’m traveling on from STL into the boonies (about 3 hours). I had checked Turo and the selection in STL isn’t good. The reasonable cars wanted $75 to deliver to the airport and I would probably also have to pay to get out of the parking lot. It will be just as cheap to get a room. But I’m still looking for a rental agency that will accommodate a late arrival.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
National and Alamo are open until midnight (they share a location).
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Airport locations usually stay open until arrival of the last flight, even if after their posted closing time. They have to be there for delayed arrivals. You may want to call the location you want to verify,
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Airport locations usually stay open until arrival of the last flight, even if after their posted closing time. They have to be there for delayed arrivals. You may want to call the location you want to verify,
Hate to say it but folks at some of the STL rental sites aren't the most clueful so they may or may not feel the need/urge to provide the service you're indicating based on pre-COVID experiences.

I will say that at some smaller airports I have seen the service where they stay open until late flights arrive. I wish the OP well in trying to get a clear answer back from the rental car location of interest as to whether they'll commit to being open when he/she arrives.

David
youranut likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
National and Alamo are open until midnight (they share a location).

their posted hours says 11pm. I called to ask if they would accommodate my late arrival and they said they wouldn’t. I called all the rental agencies and got the same answer. I got a room and saved a days rental.

Last edited by youranut; Jul 24, 2020 at 7:24 pm
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by youranut
their posted hours says 11pm. I called to ask if they would accommodate my late arrival and they said they wouldn’t. I called all the rental agencies and got the same answer. I got a room and saved a days rental.
A wise choice. Pre-Covid I can remember flying back to Pittsburgh, a mid-size airport, and my flight being delayed a couple of hours. Avis (nor did any of the other rental car companies) stay open to meet the last flight of the day. Fortunately since it was my home town, I just uber'ed home instead. Of course my experience is only one data point. Never the less since then I now think twice about using rental cars for the last flight of the day.

--Jon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.