Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Illinois Tollway shuts down all cash and exact-change lanes.

Old Mar 14, 20, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Effective immediately, the Illinois Tollway has shut down all of the cash lanes (both attended and unattended) and all vehicles must use the I-Pass lanes (unattended). If you don't have an I-Pass you will have 7 calendar days to pay your toll at the Illinois Tollway web site. In order to pay at the web site, note the date, time, and toll plaza number. The toll plaza number is on large signs over the toll plaza and can also be found on maps on the web site.

Note that the Chicago Skyway (the tollway from the south side of Chicago to Indiana) is not part of the Illinois Tollway system.

All of the major car rental companies have registered their license plates with the tollway authority. This means that they will automatically be billed for the tolls when you pass through an I-Pass lane. The rental companies will, in turn, bill you for the toll plus a modest convenience charge.

https://www.illinoistollway.com/medi...d832862entryId
Old Mar 15, 20, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Will be interesting to see if they re-open them. Florida Turnpike moved rather quickly to eliminate all manual lanes a few years ago.

The “modest convenience fee” is why as a Chicagoan, I own three SunPass transponders. Never had an incidence of getting charged by RAC company when using my own transponder. Yes, a pain, but beats the convenience charge.

Last edited by Snuggs; Mar 16, 20 at 5:50 am
Old Mar 31, 20, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Illinois tollway system is great if you have a transponder.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
E-Z Pass works too.
Old Apr 1, 20, 12:32 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
As a kid growing up in Milwaukee, I considered it great fun to be the one to toss coins into the toll baskets when we drove into Illinois. I don't know why that was so much fun for me, but when you're a kid, you enjoy fun wherever you find it, and you don't wonder why it's fun.
PresRDC and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:08 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
E-Z Pass works too.
Yeah, when you buy the transponder at an Illinois rest area along the tollway, what you get is EZ-Pass. It's good in most states east of the Mississippi.
gretchendz likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: