Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why isn’t there a human attendant for the toll by exit to ORD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Part of housing costs is the cost of paying the associated taxes/fees to live and use the home.] It's the total cost of housing and what you get for the money spent on housing -- inclusive of taxes and other fees -- that influences how people behave with regard to where and when to live somewhere and where and when to live at or move somewhere else.
No question about it. It wouldn't be unusual in some areas around Chicago for the monthly tax escrow amount to be higher than the P&I on a loan. We had looked at a property in the past where our tax would be $200 more per month than our loan payment. That certainly makes you think about it.

Originally Posted by gaobest
It’s still a bargain compared to San Francisco except I’ll estimate very low appreciation since there’s so much land. SF has land limits.

Even with high prop taxes, the prop is cheaper compared to sf.
California is a pretty unique situation within the US. High property cost, rent, taxes, and cost of living. It's a perfect storm that you don't see in a lot of places. Illinois, in comparison, is in a completely different category in terms of cost. I remember a co-worker outside of LA telling me about the starter house they bought for $750k, this was about 8 years ago. That would be a mini-mansion in many Chicago suburbs.

Chicago is really an affordable, great place to live. The one noticeable exception is the taxes, and maybe more importantly how that tax revenue seems to be wasted (bringing us back to the whole toll road topic!)...but let's not devolve into IL politics, that's a better OMNI thread .
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:49 pm
glg

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I can't speak for Chicago but it is easy to have a property tax of > $15000 in N or NW Cook County or Lake County on an assessed value below $500k.
He said "in Chicago", not "in the Chicago burbs". Chicago's tax rates are lower than most (all?) burbs. My estimate was based on multiplying my own assessed value and tax bill. It helps having that "loop" thing with lots of value. Even if many of those buildings are criminally underassessed. Hoping when Kaegi's people get a shot at downtown, there is some improvement.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Chicago’s residential property tax rates are relatively high (when looking at the largest cities across the states), even as they aren’t as high as in various suburban parts of the Chicago metropolitan area. And in Chicago, they’ve been rising over recent years.

It’s all part of comparing total housing costs and other living costs and what you get for the money. And the property and other taxes and user fees in the Chicago metro area — Chicago proper too — are part of the total housing cost picture, which in turn is a big part of the comparative living cost picture.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 6, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.