Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago area advice (Lemont)

Old Oct 3, 19, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club plat-Hertz 5*-AA gold-Marriott gold-Hilton silver

I am familiar with downtown Chicago, but not the surrounding area. May have a last minute work trip to the Lemont area. One of us will fly into O'Hare and the other will fly into Midway or drive. We will need one rental car. We would like to stay in an area where we can walk to a few fun places for good beer and good food. It also wouldn't hurt to be near where we can get easy transportation to downtown Chicago in the evening. We are open to staying at any major chains.

I am doing some searches online and not finding anything that is jumping out at me. Where should I be looking at staying?
Old Oct 6, 19, 7:10 pm
glg

Apologies to any FT'ers from Lemont, but it's practically Iowa to people in the city. You are not likely to find place where you can walk period and there isn't easy transportation to the city. The Metra line serving Lemont (Heritage Corridor) only runs a total of 7 trains a day and they're all in peak direction (3 into city in the morning, 4 out in the evening).

The closest I can think of that would be decent in transportation and some walking would be downtown Naperville, but I don't think there are a ton of hotels there and it'd be at least a 25 minute drive to Lemont in the morning, quite possibly worse.
Old Oct 7, 19, 2:39 am

Programs: AA exp 2mm Hertz 5*
I might suggest you look at staying in Downers Grove area. On Ogden Ave there are a few motels. A mile or so south you will find a Metra station to downtown. There are some shops around the station area. A few miles East is Clarendon Hills and Hinsdale, both have pleasant shopping areas with restaurants around their respective train stations. So while it is not walking distance, it is a short Uber jump.

it should be a 30 minute drive from Downers to Lemont. The rail service from Lemont to Chicago is what I would call spotty. From Downers/Clarendon/Hinsdale, much more service.

There are hotels in old town Naperville, and much in terms of dining and shopping, but the traffic can be a bit much. Right now it shows 25 mins, but in a few hours that would be closer to 40/45 mins.
Old Oct 7, 19, 5:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by glg View Post
Apologies to any FT'ers from Lemont, but it's practically Iowa to people in the city. You are not likely to find place where you can walk period and there isn't easy transportation to the city. The Metra line serving Lemont (Heritage Corridor) only runs a total of 7 trains a day and they're all in peak direction (3 into city in the morning, 4 out in the evening).

The closest I can think of that would be decent in transportation and some walking would be downtown Naperville, but I don't think there are a ton of hotels there and it'd be at least a 25 minute drive to Lemont in the morning, quite possibly worse.
+1 on downtown Naperville. The Naperville River Walk area is pretty nice and it is very walkable. There are restaurants, bars, cafes, shops, etc. I did a hotel search on Google Maps and only found two places to stay nearby: a Hotel Indigo and a small B&B. I've never stayed at either. But I have eaten at a few of the restaurants and walked around. It is a pleasant place.

If you stayed at the Hotel Indigo, you would be a two block walk form the center of downtown Naperville and have a 15 - 20 minute walk to the Naperville Metra (commuter rial) station with a full schedule of trains to/from downtown Chicago. Staying at the B&B would put you about a 5 block walk from downtown Naperville but a shorter walk to the train (10 - 15 minutes).
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:02 pm
glg

Even at Naperville that has some train service against the rush, realize that you're looking at a little over an hour each way to get into Chicago.

You honestly might be better off extending your trip if you want to spend time in the city.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Lemon is not exactly a bustling metropolis, so compromises are going to have to be made.

If you want to stay close to your work site, you can find decent hangouts in Lemont (like Nick’s for a burger and a beer), but you’re not going to have easy train access to the city. As others have mentioned, the closest Metra suburban commuter rail runs infrequently. However you can drive a short distance to catch a different line (Southwest Service) from Palos which runs more frequently.

Downers Grove and Naperville will offer more nightlife and more frequent train service via the BNSF line, but they are a good drive (30+ minutes) from Lemont every day. Avoid Joliet.

If you really want the city experience, you can stay in the city and do the reverse commute out to Lemont every day, but that’s a long drive 2x/day. And parking is expensive.
Old Oct 11, 19, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club plat-Hertz 5*-AA gold-Marriott gold-Hilton silver
Thanks all. We ended up at the Aloft in Bolingbrook. There was a shopping disctrict that we could walk to that had several bars/restaurants that weren't too bad. We did shuttle one night to downtown Naperville, but decided to pass on going downtown Chicago.

Search this Thread