Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to stop for lunch on the drive from StL to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP
Best place to stop for lunch on the drive from StL to Chicago

Driving from StL to Chicago on Thursday this week. Any recommendations on places to stop for lunch on the way that’s not a chain or fast food and reasonably near to I-55? Or should I just head out super early and grab lunch when I get to Chicago? Will be staying in the vicinity of Wrigley Field. TIA!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Head out early and eat in Chicago. Anything other than fast food on the way would be a bit of detour as I recall from the drive.

When you get there, I'd probably head toward Southport and Addison area for lunch (I like Butcher's Tap for about 50 beers on tap, but there's quite a bit if you go a couple blocks south on Southport), or you could find something along Clark St. near Wrigley. Cubs are in Cincinnati, so it will be a nice calm Thursday on Clark.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
If you do get hungry along the way, stop at Chuck's Southern Comforts cafe in Darien. It's right off the 55. It's the best southern food I've had in the Midwest (and I grew up in Louisiana). But in general, way more options in Chicago.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:55 pm
glg

Cozy Dog in Springfield if you like corn dogs.
https://www.cozydogdrivein.com/
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Merichka’s in Joliet is a place worth stopping. A little out of the way but very unique. I’d make sure to get the garlic butter on the side if you order a po’ boy.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:47 pm

I believe we usually stopped at DQ right out of Decatur. It's nothing special, so if you're looking for something actually good, yeah, just eat in Chicagoland. You could check out the Lincoln museum in Springfield too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.