Fargo to nowhere

Old Jul 13, 19, 7:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 101
Fargo to nowhere

Unthinkable opportunity for new competition in and out of Fargo, ND. Besides Frontier the fares are atrocious to anywhere. The only decent fare is TO Los Cabos, Mexico, but forget about getting back! Interjet to ORD then miles (web specials on AA available, but still 8,500 miles). The 3 major airlines all fly in and out, but aren't doing anyone any favors there! Shame, shame, shame, one for each.
GeraldHouse is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 10:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Central California
Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Posts: 6,459
It is that way in many small market airports. That pesky supply and demand.
abmj-jr is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 10:36 pm
  #3  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,819
As TravelBuzz is for general topics, we will move this to the Midwest-USA destination forum. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
JY1024 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 19, 9:34 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 101
Agreed. Google Southwest Map to see the huge gap in their mid northwest coverage also. It seems that since NWA got merged into Delta those in the mid northwest are left out in the cold. A good example of price collusion if someone cared to take on the big 3 airlines. So many duplicate prices to the same destination from all 3 airlines.
GeraldHouse is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 4:03 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,273
Originally Posted by GeraldHouse View Post
Unthinkable opportunity for new competition in and out of Fargo, ND. Besides Frontier the fares are atrocious to anywhere. The only decent fare is TO Los Cabos, Mexico, but forget about getting back! Interjet to ORD then miles (web specials on AA available, but still 8,500 miles). The 3 major airlines all fly in and out, but aren't doing anyone any favors there! Shame, shame, shame, one for each.
You’re lucky those AA award seats are even there still, since they will likely be going away to large extent at such mileage prices or even away at higher mileage prices. And I expect UA will be pulling a DL soon, so using miles to get to ORD will be almost as bad as using miles to get to MSP.

The US3 strategy for these small regional airports in the Upper Midwest and nearby areas is sort of like with luxury hotels: they prefer to avoid discounting and choose to have space go unused rather than lower prices “too much” and fill the plane in a way that conditions customers to expect “too much” “discounting”.

GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 4:08 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,630
Would it make sense to drive to MSP (in good weather)? Also, would Sioux Falls be any better? (I assume the answer is no for other smaller airports in ND.)
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 4:18 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 101
>3.5 hours drive to MSP from either Fargo or Sioux Falls.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Would it make sense to drive to MSP (in good weather)? Also, would Sioux Falls be any better? (I assume the answer is no for other smaller airports in ND.)
Snow risk Oct - Apr. So add a hotel night stay at least one way.
No married segments from either Fargo or Sioux Falls.
All 3 airlines more or less match high prices to anywhere.
GeraldHouse is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 6:43 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,273
Originally Posted by GeraldHouse View Post
Snow risk Oct - Apr. So add a hotel night stay at least one way.
No married segments from either Fargo or Sioux Falls.
All 3 airlines more or less match high prices to anywhere.
Wasnít there snow risk in May too a couple of years back? The late May snow then surprised me as I had never before seen that much new snow come so late in the spring in the upper half of MN and WI that have been my playground. UP is a sort of different story, but not even there then.

Given the rip-off mileage ticket prices AA and DL have been trying to hit me with for short-haul flights to ORD and MSP respectively and given the regular paid ticket prices to get those flights, I must say that some people may have money to save at least one-way by using ITA matrix to come up with throwaway ticketing options. Once in ORD or MSP, the fare compression amongst the US3 airlines isnít as bad as it is at the regional MN and WI airports.
GUWonder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread