FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   Are airlines dropping Chicago - London route? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1976356-airlines-dropping-chicago-london-route.html)

sidesix Jul 1, 2019 11:47 am

Are airlines dropping Chicago - London route?

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone out there is in the know about the Chicago-London route.

I've been looking to book flights for December - however Norwegian has no flights available after October (Are they dropping the route?)

Also, British Airways, seems to have really low availability/no tickets for sale on some flights in the week before Christmas (is that usual so many months ahead?)

JimInOhio Jul 1, 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by sidesix (Post 31258703)
Hi there,

I've been looking to book flights for December - however Norwegian has no flights available after October (Are they dropping the route?)

Also, British Airways, seems to have really low availability/no tickets for sale on some flights in the week before Christmas (is that usual so many months ahead?)

Wamos flies as a contractor for Norwegian on the O'Hare - Gatwick route. Reviews are generally very poor.

JBord Jul 1, 2019 3:45 pm

It's not unusual for airlines to change or reduce their flight schedules around the December holidays, especially for international flights. I don't know about BA specifically, but the US airlines often do it. Very little business travel happens at that time of the year, and I suspect personal holiday travel has a few peak days.

PsiFighter37 Jul 1, 2019 4:33 pm

I thought LHR slots were use 'em or lose 'em - so would be surprised if there was any decrease to Heathrow...

GUWonder Jul 1, 2019 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 31259639)
I thought LHR slots were use 'em or lose 'em - so would be surprised if there was any decrease to Heathrow...

Norwegian doesn’t fly to Heathrow. It goes to London-Gatwick.

Norwegian is cutting back on large parts of its US route network due to financial insecurity and performance on long-haul routes in particular, and they can’t afford to keep LHR slots if they even had any to keep.

US and UK airlines with Heathrow slots seem to shift them around to serve other US cities at times or to ramp up or down service to some places as they see fit based on demand to fly across the Atlantic.

Snuggs Jul 2, 2019 6:37 am

I used to fly ORD>LHR on Thanksgiving. Last two years very limited flts that week, and almost none on Thanksgiving on BA/AA. What flts there were, were booked out. Definitely no deals to be had. I don't think either are at risk of loosing their slots.

RobS Jul 2, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 31259639)

I believe LHR flights can be discontinued for up to 80 days during the season without losing the slot.

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by RobS (Post 31262759)
I believe LHR flights can be discontinued for up to 80 days during the season without losing the slot.

Given the expensive trade in LHR slots and how some airlines re-allocate their use even without trading them to other airlines, it should be clear that LHR slots aren’t all tied to specific city pairs.

TribalistMeathead Oct 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by sidesix (Post 31258703)
Hi there,

It's just suspended for the winter, it comes back in March. Though, with BA's basic economy fares cheaper than Norwegian's fares, unless LGW is more convenient for you, I can't think of a single reason to fly Norwegian.

BearX220 Oct 27, 2019 8:23 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead (Post 31666239)
I can't think of a single reason to fly Norwegian.

Those premium class seats on Norwegian's Dreamliners can sometimes be had for less than the legacy airlines' economy class. So... reasons.

Norwegian just had a very profitable Q3 and lined up Chinese financing for 27 new A320neos, so it looks like they'll be around for awhile.

https://www.aerotime.aero/zivile.zal...737-max-impact

https://www.ft.com/content/652f2104-...3-eca8fc8f2d65

AAguy1979 Nov 8, 2019 5:24 am

I don't think anyone has dropped this route. BA and AA dominate with their joint venture and I believe United has 3 (sometimes 4?) flights daily. Norwegian did drop the route for winter but the Gatwick flight returns next spring, beginning March 29 and departing Chicago 5x a week (Sun, Mon, Weds, Thurs, and Fri) for April (spring break I'm guessing) and then 4x a week (Sun, Mon, Weds, Fri) through October 23. I need a one-way flight back to ORD in September and have booked with Norwegian so, fingers crossed, they'll survive. I couldn't stand the idea of paying $250 for the "privilege" of using miles on AA/BA when I could buy a premium economy flight outright for $525 on Norwegian. But I'd encourage the purchase of some ancillary travel insurance for ANYONE booking Norwegian that far out. Just make sure the policy includes Norwegian as a covered carrier for financial default (Allianz, my go-to, didn't). I'm sure I could fight the charge with AMEX but better safe than sorry.