St Louis Hotels Advice

Old May 9, 19, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None
St Louis Hotels Advice

Going to St Louis for Cards/Cubs game 7/30-8/2. Would like to stay close to Busch but prices are pretty steep. Don't know St. Louis and the good neighborhoods other than downtown for a good experience. Would like to be in area where there is some liveliness.
Old May 9, 19, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Central West End, University City and Clayton.
Old May 10, 19, 6:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Central West End, University City and Clayton.
+1

You might find it easier to get to the game via public transit if you stay in the right area. Here is a link to the St Louis light rail system map. There is a stop very close to the ball park. The Central West End stop is a bit south of the hotel area in the CWE, it is actually in the middle of the Barnes-Jewish/Children's Hospital medical center. The Clayton stop again is a bit south of the main hotel area of Clayton. By "a bit" I mean 3 or 4 blocks. There two more stations just past Clayton (Richmond Heights and Brentwood/I-64) that are close to some decent hotels, shopping and restaurants. I've never tried walking to these last two stations so I would coordinate with your hotel if you stayed there to make sure they are easily accessible.
Old May 10, 19, 11:00 am

I wouldn't classify Clayton as lively. Maybe for a business lunch. CWE or U City on the Loop would fit the bill though. I'd check AirBnb, too. I see some good options in both places. You might also consider Lafayette Square or Soulard if you don't mind taking a rideshare to the stadium.
Old May 10, 19, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium View Post
I wouldn't classify Clayton as lively. Maybe for a business lunch.
There are quite a few bars, sports bars and restaurants in Clayton, especially on Central Avenue and Forsyth Blvd.
Old May 21, 19, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Clayton was lively when I lived in the area 20 years ago. I went back in April, and the place is a ghost town at night. The Loop was lively, albeit it feels too commercialized now, but still a fun place.
Old May 24, 19, 7:42 am
Original Poster

We ended up booking Moonrise Hotel... seemed interesting and in and interesting area... we'll see if the choice is the right one.
Old Jun 23, 19, 6:33 pm

If you like live music, see if anybody interesting is playing at Blue Hill or the Pageant. They're both fun venues, albeit very different. The Pin Up Bowl is next door too if you want to bowl and have a drink.

I'm not a shill for Joe Edwards, I swear.
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for taking time to answer... since we are there for two Cards night games we will only have one true day to make the most of our St. Louis visit. I guess the Arch and Busch Brewery and possibly a quick visit to the zoo.
Old Jun 24, 19, 1:00 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by JackHenry View Post
Thanks for taking time to answer... since we are there for two Cards night games we will only have one true day to make the most of our St. Louis visit. I guess the Arch and Busch Brewery and possibly a quick visit to the zoo.
The City Museum is well worth going to if you're able, ESPECIALLY if you have kids (but it's also fun for adults even if you don't have kids).
chgoeditor likes this.

Search this Thread