Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Massive taxi times at ORD

Massive taxi times at ORD

Old Jun 4, 19, 4:59 am

Programs: AA exp 2mm Hertz 5*
Yeah, ORD is now like DFW. Makes you want to throw in the towel.
Old Jun 7, 19, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Snuggs View Post
Yeah, ORD is now like DFW. Makes you want to throw in the towel.
My international arrivals into ORD are increasingly feeling like my AMS arrivals -- with longer times from landing to plane door open after they opened a new runway than used to be the case before expanded take-off-and-landing capacity.

Between the outage of the ATS and the increased times from landing to gate arrival, ORD is pushing me to shift back to DL/SkyTeam more than would have otherwise been the case.
Old Jun 11, 19, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
My international arrivals into ORD are increasingly feeling like my AMS arrivals -- with longer times from landing to plane door open after they opened a new runway than used to be the case before expanded take-off-and-landing capacity.

Between the outage of the ATS and the increased times from landing to gate arrival, ORD is pushing me to shift back to DL/SkyTeam more than would have otherwise been the case.
Iím confused. Doesnít DL/Skyteam share the same runways and taxiways? And hence have the same issues? Or are you using them to avoid ORD completely?
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: AA exp 2mm Hertz 5*
DL/Skyteam connections would primarily be thru ATL, BOS, SLC, MSP, SEA.... But not ORD.
So, Yes, I think he means avoiding ORD completely.... Like I avoid DFW...
Old Jun 12, 19, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by milepig View Post

Iím confused. Doesnít DL/Skyteam share the same runways and taxiways? And hence have the same issues? Or are you using them to avoid ORD completely?
One of my ways of minimizing use of ORD as a transit airport is to fly DL/Skyteam airlines more. ORD isnít always my final destination and/or origin.
Old Jun 14, 19, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

One of my ways of minimizing use of ORD as a transit airport is to fly DL/Skyteam airlines more. ORD isn’t always my final destination and/or origin.
I sort of figured out you were likely connecting - thanks for the clarfication.

Yes, ORD is now as bad as the North Sea runway at AMS of the one that's across the highway at FRA. It truly feels like you're taxiing from Wisconsin!

I still don't have clarification as to whether how much of this is temporary due to ongoing runway construction and how much will be a forever reality. If the later, it might just force me to MDW and into the arms of SW (shudder). With the ride on the Orange line just as convenient (for me) and taking half the time continuing to use UA at ORD for domestic travel is making much less sense, I can never use my miles for INTL travel anymore in any case and I fly enough INTL to keep *Gold. Sounding more and more like a no-brainer.

I would think it would be the same for people who live on the cusp in the Northern burbs and can choose between ORD and MKE. These times are changing the equation.
Old Jun 14, 19, 12:05 pm

My mix of connecting at ORD and of originating/terminating trips at ORD are about the same this year when it comes to my international travel, but my comment indeed was about trips where ORD was not my O&D and just X on the tickets.
Old Jun 14, 19, 7:39 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
The total taxi time was 30 minutes.
About 25 minutes for us on a regional jet flight from Milwaukee last month. I think we spend more time taxiing than flying. I love Chicago but hate O'Hare.
Old Yesterday, 9:39 am

Yesterday evening:

Landed on 10R on the very south edge of the airport which I think is known as providing the longest taxi times.

Made it to the penalty box right next to our gate at the T1 / C concourse in 13 minutes, 45 seconds. Had we not been held there, my guess is the total time from leaving the runway to the gate (C 31) would have been about 16 or 17 minutes.