Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

15 min layover at ORD terminal 1 (SFO-ORD-YYZ)

15 min layover at ORD terminal 1 (SFO-ORD-YYZ)

Old Dec 31, 18, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Unhappy 15 min layover at ORD terminal 1 (SFO-ORD-YYZ)

Edit: My transfer gates are literally right next to each other (both in the same concourse and terminal)
Hi, (also I'm giving u all my flight info so please don't murder me)

So it literally just dawned on my that I only have 20 minutes to get on a plane

I'm departing from SFO to ORD and I arrive at 4:52pm then I have to get on a flight to YYZ? at 5:55 but boarding is at 5:15.
Here are some factors: My flights are both in the same terminal (terminal 1), just kind of far so I don't have to change terminals or anything (going from gates B to C at ORD), i'm boarding group one so I'm likely to board around 5:20-5:30? Chicago is currently raining I believe? So I'm hoping it doesn't get delayed due to weather conditions. This was the only connection available for the price, and this is honestly the latest I could fly due to other circumstances. It usually takes way to long to get off the plane whcih means I'll probably get off around 5 ish 5:05 (I'm sitting in row 12 aisle)? Technically there is a 1hr3min layover, but clearly not. Just wondering what I should do or get some sort of reassurance that everything will be okay!

Last edited by jennaz0000; Dec 31, 18 at 1:50 am
Old Dec 31, 18, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MCT is ~40 minutes iirc, so no worries if your inbound is close to on time.
Old Dec 31, 18, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
MCT is ~40 minutes iirc, so no worries if your inbound is close to on time.
What does MCT stand for? i'm just more worried about delays from SFO to ORD due to the weather :/
Old Dec 31, 18, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jennaz0000 View Post
What does MCT stand for? i'm just more worried about delays from SFO to ORD due to the weather :/
Minimum connection time (as measured from scheduled arrival to scheduled departure).
Old Dec 31, 18, 1:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Minimum Connection Time, the mimimum amount of time from arrival to departure of your next flight that an airline is willing to sell a ticket for, when connecting in a certain city. It varies by city, by airport, by airline(s) involved, by whether it is a domestic-to-domestic or domestic-to-international connection etc, It is based on the amount of risk that an airline is willing to accept if you were to misconnect. Not to be confused with SCT - Sensible Connection Time.
Old Dec 31, 18, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Edit: My transfer gates are literally right next to each other (both in the same concourse and terminal)
Hi, (also I'm giving u all my flight info so please don't murder me)

So it literally just dawned on my that I only have 20 minutes to get on a plane

I'm departing from SFO to ORD and I arrive at 4:52pm then I have to get on a flight to YYZ? at 5:55 but boarding is at 5:15.
Here are some factors: My flights are both in the same terminal (terminal 1), just kind of far so I don't have to change terminals or anything (going from gates B to C at ORD), i'm boarding group one so I'm likely to board around 5:20-5:30? Chicago is currently raining I believe? So I'm hoping it doesn't get delayed due to weather conditions. This was the only connection available for the price, and this is honestly the latest I could fly due to other circumstances. It usually takes way to long to get off the plane whcih means I'll probably get off around 5 ish 5:05 (I'm sitting in row 12 aisle)? Technically there is a 1hr3min layover, but clearly not. Just wondering what I should do or get some sort of reassurance that everything will be okay!
If the ORD-YYZ flight is on time, that flight will likely still be open to boarding passengers until at least 5:35pm or 5:40pm if not even for 5-10 minutes later. Also, SFO-ORD flights tend to have a somewhat shorter actual flight time than the time the airline budgets into their schedules for ticketing purposes or can even make up some of the delay time at times. As long as your SFO-ORD flight leaves SFO no more than 20 minutes late, I would expect this to go over fine most times even if not always. Worse case, the airline can re-book you to YYZ if your flight is delayed too much. But that is assuming you have this all on one ticket.
Old Dec 31, 18, 4:00 pm
glg

While this is pretty much too late to help OP, you don't have to be at the gate at boarding time. Just 10 minutes before departure (ie 5:45). Looks like the SFO flight is about to arrive (5:05) and the connection is C15-C28, so OP should be just fine.
Old Dec 31, 18, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by glg View Post
While this is pretty much too late to help OP, you don't have to be at the gate at boarding time. Just 10 minutes before departure (ie 5:45). Looks like the SFO flight is about to arrive (5:05) and the connection is C15-C28, so OP should be just fine.
To be precise and presuming that this is UA, it is T-30. Even for a domestic flight it is T-15.

T-10 is when the flight should be closed, but that is not the same as the deadline for passenger boarding as the difference is intended to permit offloading no shows and boarding standbys.

OP is unlikely to be offloaded until just before the gate is physically closed, but if the flight is overbooked and at risk of oversale, UA will offload a no show before paying IDB/VDB.
Old Jan 1, 19, 10:31 am
glg

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
To be precise and presuming that this is UA, it is T-30. Even for a domestic flight it is T-15.
Yeah, but OP was on a connection, so they'd certainly try to wait until close to T-10, especially when they know that OP just landed. It's not a no-show, it's a misconnect at that point...
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by glg View Post
Yeah, but OP was on a connection, so they'd certainly try to wait until close to T-10, especially when they know that OP just landed. It's not a no-show, it's a misconnect at that point...
I would not be sure about that at all. UA will certainly offload misconnects as no shows at T-15/30 (and downgrade as well) if it faces an oversell of the aircraft or a cabin.
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would not be sure about that at all. UA will certainly offload misconnects as no shows at T-15/30 (and downgrade as well) if it faces an oversell of the aircraft or a cabin.
These recent posts belong in the UA / Mileage Plus forum, IMHO. Regardless... this past month I had a 15 minute connection at ORD on UA and the gate agent didn't give away my F seat or anything of the sorts. If I wasn't the last to board, I was close to it.
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would help to know tha airlines and whether the OP has a single ticket/PNR.

This seems to be a legal connection, but typically for international flights (again typically including the transborder flights from the USA to Canada) one is officially required to be one board by T-30 versus about T-15 for a domestic flight. YMMV.
Old Jan 1, 19, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It would help to know tha airlines and whether the OP has a single ticket/PNR.

This seems to be a legal connection, but typically for international flights (again typically including the transborder flights from the USA to Canada) one is officially required to be one board by T-30 versus about T-15 for a domestic flight. YMMV.
My mileage did vary. I was connecting from domestic to Canada and the actual connection time (due to MX delay from CLE) was 14 or 15 minutes... fortunately two very close gates. There was no enforcement of T-30 or anything close to it. Though I'm not sure, airlines generally use that as their guideline for originating passengers and not known connections.

Story: Years ago on CO, I was on a very late flight from CLE to EWR (WX and MX). The person next to me was trying to get to Beijing and was even on her phone making backup arrangements before we took off from CLE. Arriving at EWR, an agent called for this person at the a/c door and said she'd walk her over to her flight to get her on and close the door. I think we were already past official departure time for the PEK flight.
Old Jan 1, 19, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
These recent posts belong in the UA / Mileage Plus forum, IMHO. Regardless... this past month I had a 15 minute connection at ORD on UA and the gate agent didn't give away my F seat or anything of the sorts. If I wasn't the last to board, I was close to it.
The OP's connection was and is legal, full stop.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:06 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
The OP's connection was and is legal, full stop.
Agreed. The OP's title is a bit misleading. The OP was talking about arrival time vs boarding time. The connection in question is 63 minutes which is totally legal (40 minutes MCT for a T1 to T1 connection). The only thing that may slow the connection down would be the GA doing a quick passport check (if not already done with initial check in at SFO).

Search this Thread