Wiki Posts
Search

visiting Chicago in December - am I crazy to consider it

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
visiting Chicago in December - am I crazy to consider it

My daughter really wants to see Hamilton. The research I have done shows me that Chicago is the most affordable place for tickets. We will likely have time the week before Christmas to head up to Chicago to see the show and do a few other things as well. I know I like to avoid ORD in the winter because of the potential nasty weather. Am I crazy for even considering doing this? How often does the city shut down (or is so miserable you don't want to go outside) in December?
gretchendz likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Ha! We just booked a mid-December trip to Chicago - including Hamilton tix ;-) I live in the South now but have appropriate clothing to bring, should the forecast be anything from bearable to truly awful. I love cities during the holiday season - seeing decorated shop windows and exploring Christmas Markets is also part of the fun for me.

[because I grew up in the Midwest and New England, I often like to travel for more of a taste of winter than I can get at home - but it doesn't always work out for me. Visited MKE one January to help my sister plan her wedding and they had a heat wave of 60 degrees & sunny when I wanted 20 and snow!]

Am looking forward to other responses!
ksucats and gretchendz like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
First of all, the city rarely shuts down. I remember one time in the last 5 years where govt, etc. was shut down for a day. But I could still put on my boots and walk 3 blocks to my neighborhood pub for dinner! ORD is another story though. December is a pretty safe month however. Most years we don't have lasting snow until after Christmas. There's always the chance you'll hit a freak storm that will close ORD for a few hours or a day, but there's probably less chance of that in December than a thunderstorm in June closing it.

That said, it's possible that it will be cold. Sometimes mid-December is 45 degrees, and sometimes (less often) it's 4 or 5 degrees. Our average temp is high 30's in December.
ksucats, Hoyaheel and gretchendz like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
You're Not Crazy!

Especially if it has snowed, the city is beautiful at this time of year. Michigan Avenue is decorated with beautiful little lights. The Christmas market is great. Beautiful German ornaments, fun places to eat and drink Gluhwein Shopping is awesome, of course. Bring coats, gloves, hats and boots and you'll be fine

There will be other Christmas shows at the theaters large and small if you have more nights than just Hamilton. The Art Institute is amazing. The windows at Macy's (formerly Marshall Field) are always worth a visit (and a short walk from the Christmas Market.)
Hoyaheel and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz

There will be other Christmas shows at the theaters large and small if you have more nights than just Hamilton.
This is a worth noting. It's not as hip or cool as Hamilton, but the Goodman plays A Christmas Carol (traditional version) every year, and it's a good show.
Hoyaheel and gretchendz like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:16 pm
glg

January/February is usually when it's really bad. All the worst snowstorms, the worst cold, etc. Make sure you plan for cold, but don't be shocked if it's in the 40s or 50s and nary a snowflake to be found.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:06 pm
BCH

Here are a few reasons why it's a great time to visit Chicago:

- With or without snow, the city is beautiful. The major streets (like Magnificent Mile, State Street, etc) are lined with lit-up trees.

- The tourist attractions are less crowded (even the indoor ones) and the more special experiences (including luxury hotels) are more affordable.

- Winter-specific activities for families, like ice-skating at Millennium Park, Chriskindlemarket at Daley Plaza, and Zoo Lights (fun for all ages).

- Plenty to do indoors, from museums to theaters. This forum has some threads dedicated to it already.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask if you need any specific advice from us locals.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Thanks everybody. I am looking forward to this trip now, even though I really don't give a darn about seeing Hamilton. I am willing to spend up to $250 per night and am finding lots of good choices. I am leaning towards the Embassy Suites because my daughter is a pain when she has to hear my wife and I snore and she can be in the other room. :-) I am also considering getting 2 rooms at the Hampton in the theater district. I am willing to stay at any Holiday Inn, Marriott or Hilton so if there is something out there I need to look at, let me know. I want to stay under $250 and have a door in between my daughter (and son) and my wife and I.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I got an email last week about Hilton specials in Chicago and we ended up booking at LondonHouse in a river view room. The rooms look pretty small, though, so probably not ideal for your family. Now I keep getting other email specials, looked at a Gold lounge room at Fairmont (they had a "one day free with 3 day booking" special) but we decided the reviews on the rooms there didn't look great. I can cancel the LondonHouse if we find something we like better....But I agree with what has been said - pretty good prices for nice(r) properties!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:10 am

Tough to get a 2br in downtown Chicago for under $250. You might find something on AirBnb. But if you want a hotel, the Embassy Suites might be the best for that price. If you have a choice, I think the Downtown one is slightly better located than the Mag Mile one (neither is actually on Michigan Ave. if I recall). The Downtown is maybe a block from the red line, which is good alternative to and from the airports (with 1 transfer to either airport) when there is traffic. The Hampton Inn is a good location for the theaters and the Millennium Park area, Art Museum, etc. But, IMO, a lack of good restaurants -- which simply means you may have to jump in a taxi if it's cold.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:55 pm
glg

The one plus of the Hampton is that it is literally on top of the theater where Hamilton is running. The Hampton lobby is on the 9th floor or something like that with only a small entrance with elevators/bell stand at ground level. I don't think there's direct access from hotel to theater, but it's like 25 feet down the sidewalk. If this is a short trip centered on the show, the Hampton is a reasonable pick. If it's a longer trip, you may want to go closer to the Mag Mile depending on your interests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.