Wiki Posts
Search

Jet-lagged Sleep in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Jet-lagged Sleep in Chicago?

I'm planning on booking tickets where I'm arriving early in the morning into Chicago, and won't be leaving until the evening. What's a good place to get some sleep in Chicago during the day?

There's a Hilton or two that will do a day rate, but is there an easier/less expensive way? Should I try booking a hotel for a night, and try to see if they had a room to let me check in early? Are there any other (hopefully less expensive) options?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by diburning
I'm planning on booking tickets where I'm arriving early in the morning into Chicago, and won't be leaving until the evening. What's a good place to get some sleep in Chicago during the day?

There's a Hilton or two that will do a day rate, but is there an easier/less expensive way? Should I try booking a hotel for a night, and try to see if they had a room to let me check in early? Are there any other (hopefully less expensive) options?
There are several options for day rooms at/near O'Hare. To be totally transparent, I have never used them as I live about 20 minutes from ORD. Just do an internet search for "O'Hare hotel day rooms" and you will see the sites for searching or the properties themselves.

In general the Hilton is the most convenient for getting to/from the terminals as it is connected via underground tunnel to the airport itself. It also tends to be the most expensive. There is nothing there except the hotel and the airport. Many of the other hotels that offer day rates are also a but isolated but all should have a free airport shuttle.

If you want to be able to get away form the hotel and do something, I would look for a day rate at one of the properties on River Road in Rosemont near the convention center. There are stores, movie theaters, restaurants all within a mile.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cheltzel
If you want to be able to get away form the hotel and do something, I would look for a day rate at one of the properties on River Road in Rosemont near the convention center. There are stores, movie theaters, restaurants all within a mile.
I agree. Have to assume the OP is going to want to eat at some point if he's there all day! I've actually stayed at one of the Marriott's there when I arrived home (ORD) at midnight and had a meeting in Rosemont at 8 am the next morning. Forget which it was, but it was a relatively cheap rate for a nice hotel. I had my car, but I assume most of those hotels will have shuttles too.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
So

The easiest (but not the cheapest) is the Hilton attached to the airport--you can walk right into it from the airport. Having said that there about a dozen or so hotels very close with airport shuttles. If you want to shop, the nearby mall is full of outlet stores for name brands.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
As one who has done MRs into ORD, the Hilton ORD is the simplest solution for sleep. And they have day rates.

If you do go over to Rosemont and any of the properties there, a reminder that the shuttles do sometimes take a bit longer to get back to the ORD gates simply because of traffic and the distance that needs to be traversed. And, if you have later departing flights, clearing security when there's no Pre-Check as well as having to hoof it over to Concourse C if you're flying UA eats up time as well.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.