Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total shutdown of ATS at ORD May 30

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:35 pm

Tribune article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...xwq-story.html

Fun facts:

"The fleet has been expanded from 15 cars to 36 cars. Service operates every three minutes, and each three-car train can carry 147 passengers. The train makes five stops, and the trip from Terminal 1 at one end of the tracks to the rental car and transit facility at the other takes 10 minutes"
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
Tribune article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...xwq-story.html

Fun facts:

"The fleet has been expanded from 15 cars to 36 cars. Service operates every three minutes, and each three-car train can carry 147 passengers. The train makes five stops, and the trip from Terminal 1 at one end of the tracks to the rental car and transit facility at the other takes 10 minutes"
It would be nice if it made 6 spots with the extra stope being the old economy lot station that still exists and has not been torn down yet.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:06 pm

”…the trip from Terminal 1 at one end of the tracks to the rental car and transit facility at the other takes 10 minutes”
Did they speed it up? I seem to recall it taking 15 minutes from Lot E to Terminal 1.

Originally Posted by Putnik
It would be nice if it made 6 spots with the extra stope being the old economy lot station that still exists and has not been torn down yet.
Makes sense to me! Use that lot instead of the ones that require a shuttle bus. What are they going to do with the Lot E space?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rare
Did they speed it up? I seem to recall it taking 15 minutes from Lot E to Terminal 1.

Makes sense to me! Use that lot instead of the ones that require a shuttle bus. What are they going to do with the Lot E space?
I didn't time it but I rode it a more than half dozen times in March from 1 to the MMF and vice versa and 10 seemed rather optimistic to my mind, especially when in-station dwell time is considered at T1, T2, T3, and T5. Maybe it has been sped up, or maybe it's just my impatience

What's odd is it essentially does stop at whatever the ghost station between the MMF and T5 is (I'm assuming that's the Lot E referenced) -- it doesn't open the doors, and I don't believe it comes to a complete stop but it slows to a crawl shortly before and takes a while to get back up to speed after... I
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I didn't time it but I rode it a more than half dozen times in March from 1 to the MMF and vice versa and 10 seemed rather optimistic to my mind, especially when in-station dwell time is considered at T1, T2, T3, and T5. Maybe it has been sped up, or maybe it's just my impatience

What's odd is it essentially does stop at whatever the ghost station between the MMF and T5 is (I'm assuming that's the Lot E referenced) -- it doesn't open the doors, and I don't believe it comes to a complete stop but it slows to a crawl shortly before and takes a while to get back up to speed after... I
Lot E is used for employee parking. Due to approach path of 27C, the FAA required the station to be closed.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ords
Lot E is used for employee parking. Due to approach path of 27C, the FAA required the station to be closed.
This is the one we're talking about? Was it too tall or was there some other conflict? I can't imagine it's much taller than the trains.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:55 am

This is the one we're talking about? Was it too tall or was there some other conflict? I can't imagine it's much taller than the trains.
Correct, this is the one.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
When I was stuck on a dead train a few weeks ago (I think I described that situation up-thread) we were stopped just past the right edge of this picture and had a few planes pass directly over us at a not-that-much-margin-for-error altitude (it made for some pretty cool planespottig) -- I'd guess the station is probably close to double the height of the trains but perhaps more importantly is a fixed object vs. the trains which are transitory.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
That station could be moved a block south to not be in direct path of 27C, but If it wasn't moved when ATS was down for years, it's probably not going to get done now.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Seems to be the way the software handles passing a station that is not served. I've seen other Innovia automated people movers do this, e.g., the PHX Sky Train and SFO AirTrain.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:05 pm

There may be a maximum speed given the clearance to the platform. If this is the case, they could demolish the station or just grind back the platform a few inches to decrease total travel time to the MMF.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:33 pm

Hi all,

is it confirmed that the ATS is running now?

thanks
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Andrew Dolphin
Hi all,

thanks
It's been operating for a half a year now.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Andrew Dolphin
Hi all,

thanks
24x7 every 2-3 minutes. Possibly less frequent during the night, as I have not taken it after 9pm or before 6am.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:34 am

Is taking the ATS to the MMF to an Uber a decent option in order to save some money on the fare? Rides seem much cheaper when you book them to/from the MMF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.