Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Is Minneapolis/St Paul worth visiting (spring/summer)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I've only been to Chicago, never seen much of the Midwest though I was in Texas recently. How is Minneapolis and/or St Paul (only going in the spring/summer)? Is it really that special of an experience traveling there?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
I wouldn’t say that it’s a special experience, but I visited last May and was pleasantly surprise. I liked it a lot more than I do Chicago. They actually have a lot to offer (things to do). If you’re into the outdoors, they have tons of places to kayak and bike, some hiking trails, lots of fishing... also, for a place with such extreme winters, they have a massive amount of rooftop bars, which you could really get to take advantage of during your spring/summer visit.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
The Mall of America is a must see. If you've never been on a BIG 10 campus, U of M is worth seeing and the sky walk downtown is interesting to see.

Bob H
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I would consider no shopping mall on earth, even the Mall of America, to be a "must see."
BearX220 and theSaladDays like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Couple of nice art museums in Minneapolis and lovely park just adjacent to the downtown area. State capitol. The Mall of America is big but basically it is a regular mall that's 2 or 3 times as big as the usual one with a few entertainment activities. You could spend a day or two doing things but not really a tourism destination to travel to specifically.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Minneapolis also has some excellent restaurants if you like that sort of thing.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA, NW
We have a chain of lakes surrounded by parks and walking/biking trails, the Tyrone Guthrie theater and numerous other theaters, the Minnesota Orchestra, the Minneapolis Institute of Art, the Walker Art Center (modern art) and sculpture garden, the Summit Avenue historic district in St. Paul, the St. Paul Cathedral and Capital, the Como Park Conservatory, professional baseball, football, basketball, and hockey teams.

It's a smaller and more pleasant metropolitan area than Chicago.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Minneapolis is great in the spring and summer (at least if it’s not too hot) if you like outdoor activities too. Biking and boating (or even fishing) around the area is nice. And for typical urban activities (like restaurants, bars, museums), it’s got a lot going for it too.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:29 am

We've been to Mall of America about 15 years ago and plan to go back in a couple months for a couple days or so. Also plan to take a drive to Chicago since we have never been there. Any tips for this. Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JBord
Minneapolis also has some excellent restaurants if you like that sort of thing.
.....and craft breweries.

I'd add the Russian art museum to the list, plus the Stone Arch Bridge, the Mill City Museum, and the Guthrie (go for the architecture and include a performance if there's a play that interests you). The UMn campus has a Frank Gehrig building on the river that's an art museum. Some people would want to visit the Prince home/studio (expensive and you should book in advance), maybe the new Vikings training center.....and there's a museum (the Bakken, connected to the founders of Medtronic) devoted to electricity. Others want to see the Mary Tyler Moore statue and two zoos (plus the aquarium in MOA).

Depending on dates, you might enjoy events such as the Aquatennial, Spark stay out all night weekend (not sure of the official name), restaurant week, special times that historic houses are open, nights at the Minnesota Zoo, etc.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
And if you are an AvGeek, you can also visit the Northwest Airlines History Center, not far from the MoA and airport.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:53 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I would consider no shopping mall on earth, even the Mall of America, to be a "must see."
Not even the South China Mall, in which the car parks were converted into badminton courts?

As for a response above about rooftop bars, if I had to deal with that winter, I too would rush to take advantage of those spots as soon as decent weather came around!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
We've been to Mall of America about 15 years ago and plan to go back in a couple months for a couple days or so. Also plan to take a drive to Chicago since we have never been there. Any tips for this. Thanks
That is a 400+ mile, six-hour drive through featureless, dull country -- are you sure? Tip would be to fly.

But if you drive be sure to stop at the Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha, WI or Ehlenbach's Cheese Chalet in DeForest, WI and load up on cheese curds, summer sausage, and New Glarus.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
That is a 400+ mile, six-hour drive through featureless, dull country -- are you sure? Tip would be to fly..
As Midwest drives go, this one is above average. Rolling and forested sections and several rock outcrops, since I-94 skirts the Driftless Area. Also the possibility to detour one direction along the Mississippi for its prettiest stretch. Not the usual corn fields for the most part going either way. Kenosha is not really on the normal direct way, unless going to Chicago's North Shore.

Agree that Minneapolis is off the usual tourist track (as is 90% of the USA) but there's plenty to do and without a lot a tourists that's a plus.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by BearX220
That is a 400+ mile, six-hour drive through featureless, dull country -- are you sure? Tip would be to fly.

But if you drive be sure to stop at the Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha, WI or Ehlenbach's Cheese Chalet in DeForest, WI and load up on cheese curds, summer sausage, and New Glarus.
If you avoid I-94, you can see some quite lovely scenery by following the Mississippi River down as far as LaCrosse, Wisconsin, and taking Highway 14 through Viroqua, Westby, and Spring Green, where you can see Taliesin, architect Frank Lloyd Wright's home. This takes you to the attractive university city (and state capital) of Madison. From there, you can either hop onto I-90 for a quicker trip to Chicago or you can continue southeast on a secondary highway to see more rural scenery. With either option, the trip will take all day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.