Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Super Bowl hotel advice-MSP

Old Jan 22, 18, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

We can get rooms (overpaying at an embarrassing level)
at the Hilton, AC Marriott, or Hampton Inn in downtown Minneapolis. Which is the best hotel of the lot? Any big differences in location? Wed like central but maybe not directly in what might be a party all night zone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:54 pm

Try Air BnB

Originally Posted by Mickidon View Post
at the Hilton, AC Marriott, or Hampton Inn in downtown Minneapolis. Which is the best hotel of the lot? Any big differences in location? Wed like central but maybe not directly in what might be a party all night zone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hey buddy you might want to try Air BnB to see if you can get something within walking/staggering distance to the stadium.

Also if you have any type of top tier hotel status that's the first place to start. my favorite MSP hotel is the Kimpton........have fun
Old Jan 22, 18, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wordsew View Post
Hey buddy you might want to try Air BnB to see if you can get something within walking/staggering distance to the stadium.

Also if you have any type of top tier hotel status that's the first place to start. my favorite MSP hotel is the Kimpton........have fun
Thanks, but these are my three choices. Do not want an Air BnB - trying to pick the best of a mediocre lot here.
Old Jan 22, 18, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
at the Hilton, AC Marriott, or Hampton Inn in downtown Minneapolis. Which is the best hotel of the lot? Any big differences in location? We’d like central but maybe not directly in what might be a party all night zone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Both the Hilton and AC Marriott are downtown. The AC is brand new (less than a year old) while the Hilton was renovated within the last couple years; I'd guess it was built around 1980. The stadium is walkable from either property, but it's a longish walk of about a half hour and almost all outdoors rather than inside the skyway system. I'd suggest the AC because its location is about a block or two (versus about six blocks for the Hilton) from the light rail line to the stadium, airport, and Mall of America. From both the Hilton and the AC, you're within about a block or two of the big party on Nicollet Mall, although the Hilton is much closer to the exhibit and memorabilia sale in the convention center. I'd also consider the north loop neighborhood (bars, restaurants, and entertainment places) to be walkable from the AC but not the Hilton.

I suspect that the Hampton Inn is good for a Hampton Inn and it's also fairly new, but to me the place doesn't seem to be quite downtown. It's much farther from the light rail, Nicollet Mall, and North Loop than the other two hotels with nothing much of interest in the immediate neighborhood. Walking distance to the stadium is about the same, but there's no advantage to trying to take the light rail option as you'd have a long walk to the closest light rail station. I'd pass on the Hampton Inn unless it's considerably cheaper.

None of these hotels are obviously in a party all night area. YMMV.
Old Jan 22, 18, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also, watch your reservation like a hawk. Depending on the premium you paid, the risk of being walked in favor of someone paying some order of magnitude more than you, may matter.
Old Jan 26, 18, 12:16 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Mickidon, where did you end up booking? We have flights and game tickets, but are coming up empty on hotels that are decent, within an OK distance from the game, and a chain (willing to go with a non chain option), even for cash. I wonder if prices will drop as we get closer to the game? Our flight prices have been all over the map - we got flights for $632 r/t out of Bos, so were pumped about that!
Old Jan 26, 18, 4:15 am

Hilton downtown is nice but not great. They renovated recently. Last time there I got upgraded to a suite, it was very nice. If you have status at a hotel chain or a credit card with status now would be the time to use it.
Old Jan 26, 18, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sallycat View Post
Mickidon, where did you end up booking? We have flights and game tickets, but are coming up empty on hotels that are decent, within an OK distance from the game, and a chain (willing to go with a non chain option), even for cash. I wonder if prices will drop as we get closer to the game? Our flight prices have been all over the map - we got flights for $632 r/t out of Bos, so were pumped about that!
We ended up booking at the AC Marriott (thanks to all who helped above) at a very high price. From everything I've read, demand for this game has been lower than the norm and people expect that rooms will free up a few days before the game when room blocks are released by the NFL and others. If you are patient, I'll bet you will find something closer to game day. I wasn't and clearly jumped the proverbial gun, but I didn't want to worry about it. As someone suggested upstream, Air bnb is an option and they do seem to have some well located offerings close to town.
Good luck. Now to find the warmest possible clothing!
Old Jan 26, 18, 11:44 am

The problem is that none of the hotels are showing availability, OR, are not allowing point bookings. The best I can do is a few Marriotts way outside Minneapolis' metro area (we have SPG/Marriott and Hyatt status between the 3 of us) but status doesn't help if nothing's available.
Old Jan 26, 18, 2:23 pm

We ended up booking at the AC Marriott (thanks to all who helped above) at a very high price. From everything I've read, demand for this game has been lower than the norm and people expect that rooms will free up a few days before the game when room blocks are released by the NFL and others. If you are patient, I'll bet you will find something closer to game day. I wasn't and clearly jumped the proverbial gun, but I didn't want to worry about it. As someone suggested upstream, Air bnb is an option and they do seem to have some well located offerings close to town.
Good luck. Now to find the warmest possible clothing!
Thanks! I am more on your wavelength, I'd rather lock something in and wait, but my husband and dad are more of the "wait and see" approach and are telling me to cool my jets until next week. We were fortunate, we booked our flight there for ~$130 out of PVD on DL, and were scrambling on the way back (we missed the boat on the $550 direct MSP-BOS on UA earlier in the week), but snagged the 1:30 redeye back from MSP-BOS on DL at $510 yesterday on a whim, so they were basically like, "see, if you wait, you can get your precious SPG nights...". Air BnB is not an option to my dad (husband and I are totally down) - my dad is kind of a snob and is willing to pay for a "decent" hotel, it's just finding one at this point.

Great call on the clothing - we have ordered a ton of those hand warmer packets, long underwear, etc.!
Old Jan 29, 18, 6:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Out of curiosity, I tried to quickly check hotel availability for the Super Bowl earlier today and found nothing Hyatt or Starwood for Saturday and Sunday, even trying to use top tier elite guaranteed availability by logging into the respected websites. Looking at days earlier in the week, most Hyatts are available at relatively reasonable rates while SPG seemed to have the Westin downtown for over five hundred dollars for a regular room (not that outrageous for a big event when downtown hotels are all full) plus Sheraton Midtown and Sheraton Woodbury (neither of which would be a convenient location for the stadium or other activities, although Midtown would obviously be much closer than Woodbury) available earlier in the week. Surprisingly, the Marriott website looked more promising, with a number of extended stay properties and both ACs (downtown and at the MOA, both on the light rail line to the stadium for game day) showing availability, although at elevated prices; this is probably elite availability too, but there was no such indication.

BTW, I've heard rumors (but haven't noticed a media source or official statement) that the city of Minneapolis has been clearing out all the homeless shelters downtown in order to use them for overflow housing. SO, if you find that your hotel wants to walk you to Chicago or your AirBnB has accepted multiple reservations for the same space (or doesn't exist at all....), there's apparently some sort of a bed for you that might be better than sleeping on the cold streets or in the skyways (prohibited in Minneapolis anyway). YMMV.
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:57 pm

It's snowing. Flights to MSP could be impacted.

Also, expect cold weather through the weekend, with a range of nine below to nine above on game day.
Old Feb 1, 18, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's snowing. Flights to MSP could be impacted.

Also, expect cold weather through the weekend, with a range of nine below to nine above on game day.
Thanks for your updates. Packing now and trying to figure out what level of boots will be needed - do you expect that boots capable of trekking through snow will be need (just staying
in the downtown grid?) or just warm low boots with good traction?

Availability of hotels keeps increasing and I'm sure the weather isn't not going to tempt any last minute trips to be planned.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:21 am

Thanks for your updates. Packing now and trying to figure out what level of boots will be needed - do you expect that boots capable of trekking through snow will be need (just staying
in the downtown grid?) or just warm low boots with good traction?

Availability of hotels keeps increasing and I'm sure the weather isn't not going to tempt any last minute trips to be planned.
Watch the forecast, but I'd opt for the warm low boots with traction. City sidewalks and streets are generally clear of snow, but there's a bit of ice when one steps off the sidewalk to cross a street. In many but not all places you can step over or around the slippery spots, but I wouldn't want to be outside in any footwear with smooth soles. Don't forget a serious hat and warm gloves or mittens, plus a scarf and your warmest coat with sweaters to layer underneath it.

BTW, traffic this morning seems to be fine. In fact, all three parking ramps at Target Center (downtown around 6th Street and Hennepin, so about a block or two away from the center of the party stuff on Nicollet Mall in the downtown shopping/business district) had lots of space and no lines around 9:30 am, although the garage at Government Center (several blocks on the other side of Nicollet Mall) was full. Many downtown businesses have been encouraging employees to work from home if at all possible, and it seems to be working (so far). OTOH, parking facilities are charging premium event prices (I heard $65 but don't know details) and some are rumored not to be honoring monthly parking contracts. ADDED: Event parking on campus this weekend (the Minneapolis campus of the University of Minnesota, East and West Banks--the campus lies on both sides of the Mississippi River, starting just on the edge of downtown near the stadium--is likely to cost $40; the stadium is walkable but parking spaces are limited.

Enjoy your long weekend in the frozen north. If you're brave and want to venture a bit beyond the downtown core (but still walkable if you're energetic), there's a zip line over the river. You can also go over to St Paul to see the ice castle. IIRC there's also public outdoor ice skating there, free and with skates to rent. The light rail goes to St Paul with one transfer (normally at the football stadium).

ADDED: There are even more police/military helicopters flying around today than earlier in the week.

ADDED FRIDAY: Now there are small aircraft with banners flying around over downtown.

This morning I saw (presumably heated, but maybe not?) garage parking being offered at the downtown Embassy Suites for $75 per day/night (which is extraordinary here, albeit not so much for NYC etc.) while the Renaissance and residence Inn at the Depot still had their sign up offering a daily rate of $9 for anyone arriving before 9:00 am. Yesterday evening all of the downtown parking ramps and garages seemed to have space; I saw one price sign for $20, but most of them weren't posting prices.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 2, 18 at 4:45 pm

Search this Thread