Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Arrival time for DTW->YUL direct flight?

Old Sep 12, 17, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

My wife is flying out of DTW tomorrow to YUL on Delta. Direct flight, no checked bags. Delta's website recommends arriving 3 hours prior to flight, which seems awfully excessive for a flight that's only 1:50 in duration. (I contacted Delta on Twitter; they simply repeated the boilerplate from the website.) The aircraft is a CRJ-700. What time would you recommend arriving?
Old Sep 13, 17, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins View Post
My wife is flying out of DTW tomorrow to YUL on Delta. Direct flight, no checked bags. Delta's website recommends arriving 3 hours prior to flight, which seems awfully excessive for a flight that's only 1:50 in duration. (I contacted Delta on Twitter; they simply repeated the boilerplate from the website.) The aircraft is a CRJ-700. What time would you recommend arriving?
It's a question of your risk tolerance. With online check in and TSA Pre I would personally be fine with 60-75 minutes, but I hate waiting at airports. DTW security with Precheck is usually very fast.
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by jadecocoa View Post
It's a question of your risk tolerance. With online check in and TSA Pre I would personally be fine with 60-75 minutes, but I hate waiting at airports. DTW security with Precheck is usually very fast.
60-75 sounds good to me. Definitely not more than 2 hours with no checked bags.
Old Sep 13, 17, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*
What I think would matter most is if she can check in online. If so, and she gets a boarding pass, she won't need as much time on arrival at the airport. If DL won't permit online check in and she has to go to the ticket counter, then a lot more time will be needed for document verification.

eta: just realized this post is probably too late anyway
Old Sep 13, 17, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. We more-or-less decided on getting her there two hours early, and that was more than enough time. (Probably excessive, but her online check-in didn't give her a seat assignment, so an earlier arrival left time for other options.)

Search this Thread