Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Henry Ford Museum - How Much Time?

Old May 21, 2017, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United

Looking to visit the Henry Ford Museum in June. How much time should be budgeted for a visit? I would say I am fairly average as far as how much time I tend to spend in a given museum.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I spent a full day there many years ago and felt rushed to see everything I wanted to. Thought I would do the morning in the village and afternoon in the museum, but found many more things of interest in the village than expected (like a parade leading to an old fashioned baseball game - and we wanted to stick around and see that).
Old May 21, 2017, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I went to HRM on Xmas Eve a few years ago & spent a solid 1/2 day there. The museum & the village are separate. You can do both the village & HR in a day, but you'd need to hit the ground running at 9:30 at one of them & go full out until 5pm between them when they both close.

I stayed at The Dearborn Inn (think it's about a mile or so from HFM; owned now by Marriott) in the Edgar Allan Poe cottage (smaller replica of EAP's real cottage). TDI was created by Henry Ford in 1931. I'd recommend it.

Edgar Allen Poe cottage: (in June odds of getting EAP as a free upgrade are probably zip, as TDI has a lot of weddings. But the rooms in the main building are nice & the property has an exec lounge.

Cheers.

Not sure you're interested, but I took over 350 photos when I was at the HRM. It's a pretty cool place. They can be found here:

Henry Ford Museum

Cheers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 22, 2017 at 7:24 am Reason: merge
Old May 22, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Depends on Your Interests

Originally Posted by kavok
Looking to visit the Henry Ford Museum in June. How much time should be budgeted for a visit? I would say I am fairly average as far as how much time I tend to spend in a given museum.
You can easily spend a whole day at the Museum--and that's without doing Greenfield Village. They do have a "Highlights" brochure if you are pressed for time.

P.S. What looks like blood on the chair Lincoln was sitting in when he was shot, is not Impressive nonetheless

There are whole galleries devoted to silver, gems, etc.

The car display is impressive of course.

The Dearborn Inn (Marriott) is a nice nearby hotel choice.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Thanks for the tips and photos. Based on the descriptions, I think I may just have to choose either the village or museum to see, as my time in the DTW area is limited. I will have to look into that Marriott property though...

Obviously if weather is poor, I will choose the museum, but all else being equal, would you recommend the museum or village if you could only do one? Note that I intend to return and see whichever of the two I miss at some point in the future.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since the museum isn't weather dependent & GV isn't open during the winter (GV closed Jan 1-April 14, only open on weekends in Nov & some very limited dates in Dec), I'd suggest GV for your June trip & save the HFM for the next trip.

I also took pics of The Dearborn Inn when I stayed there (obviously it was holiday time, as you can tell by the gingerbread Santa & reindeers).

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 23, 2017 at 10:30 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.