Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago lumped into Midwest?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:18 am
glg
Original Poster

Thumbs down Chicago lumped into Midwest?

Without any announcement, it appears that the Chicago forum has been disbanded and lumped into the Midwest forum. I looked, there's no talkboard vote on it, there's no announcement.

If this was a larger "no more city based forums", it'd be one thing, but NYC, LA, SF and LV still have their own forums.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Talkboard was disbanded several months ago. The change was and is being discussed in the new Suggestion Box forum.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:35 pm
glg
Original Poster

Okay, I checked Suggestion Box, but I didn't see that thread because the title said *nothing* about consolidation of forums.

Since it appears a Californian made the decision, it's unsurprising that LA, SF and LV stayed but Chicago and DC got axed.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:09 am

I just voiced my concern as well.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:38 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I see that the LA and SF forums have about 20-22K posts each, while the combined Midwest forum has about 29K. Anyone recall how many Chicago had as a standalone?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:53 am
glg
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I see that the LA and SF forums have about 20-22K posts each, while the combined Midwest forum has about 29K. Anyone recall how many Chicago had as a standalone?
According to the other thread, the "problem" is that the Midwest forum had "too few" posts, so they decided the solution was to put Chicago into it to "perk it up". I would encourage anyone else who thinks this is backward reasoning to join in the thread linked above.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by glg
the "problem" is that the Midwest forum had "too few" posts

That is a "problem" a lot of us Midwesterners don't mind at all!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Washington D.C. got lumped in with "Mid-Atlantic" too which I also disagree with.

For what it's worth, I was in my second TalkBoard term when the decision to disband TB was arbitrarily made. I argued against it vehemently but to no end.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
I check the Midwest forum periodically to see if I learn anything new or if I have the answer to a question, but I rarely look at the Chicago forum.
This "clutters" the Midwest forum and makes it time-consuming to locate the non-Chicago posts. Makes the forum much less valuable/interesting to me.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
I check the Midwest forum periodically to see if I learn anything new or if I have the answer to a question, but I rarely look at the Chicago forum.
This "clutters" the Midwest forum and makes it time-consuming to locate the non-Chicago posts. Makes the forum much less valuable/interesting to me.
So both the Midwest and Chicago folk are unhappy. Great move all around.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
Yes, and just the opposite for me. I will not be sorting through the Midwest forum to search for Chicago threads very often.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by milepig
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:06 am
glg
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, and just the opposite for me. I will not be sorting through the Midwest forum to search for Chicago threads very often.
Yep. Having to weed through threads about Cleveland and Omaha isn't going to keep me coming back. This plan to "perk up" the Midwest may end up with fewer total posts.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by milepig
Sounds like some of the MidAtlantic and DC folk are in the same situation as the Midwest and Chicago forum folk. At least I've not heard of DC referred to as being part of flyover country, and so Chicago can consider itself in the same company.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Dumb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.