Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago lumped into Midwest?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I gotta agree, Chicago should have it's own titled forum, as should the other "consolidated" cities, unless there is difficulty getting a willing moderator.

Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:37 pm

What an ignorant action to merge Chicago into "Midwest."

It reminds me of the unenlightened decisions of board members in condo associations.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA
^ Chicago is in the Midwest as far as I'm aware, is it not? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwes...tes#Definition)

Is it that you think Chicago should continue to have a separate forum? Or that Chicago's not actually in the Midwest?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by backprop
^ Chicago is in the Midwest as far as I'm aware, is it not? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwes...tes#Definition)

Is it that you think Chicago should continue to have a separate forum? Or that Chicago's not actually in the Midwest?
Just as LA, SF and LV are in the west. Your point being?

East coast and west coast get the snowflake treatment.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ords

Exactly, we're proud to be a Midwest city. The point is that Chicago is a big enough destination to not mix in with hundreds of other cities, just like the ones mentioned above. If the reason was to increase participation in Chicago-related posts, it's likely to have the opposite effect.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JBord
If the reason was to increase participation in Chicago-related posts, it's likely to have the opposite effect.
I think the reason was the opposite, from what was posted up thread - that it was to increase traffic to the Midwest forum. Now those who want to post about MSP, DTW, CLE, etc, will have to wade through a lot of Chicago threads.

I guess I don't understand why the various forums had to be merged. It's not like IB is going to run out of bandwidth.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:03 pm
glg
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I guess I don't understand why the various forums had to be merged. It's not like IB is going to run out of bandwidth.
Exactly, I just don't see why the Midwest forum not being super busy was a problem.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:17 pm

I'll be voicing my opinion as well in the above linked thread too. When I need info about Chicago I don't want to sort through other smaller city threads and vice versa.

Originally Posted by milepig
So both the Midwest and Chicago folk are unhappy. Great move all around.

I swear when it comes to making changes on FT the powers that be make their choices based on the max number of people they can piss off at once.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:12 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Pain in the rear
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:59 pm

I wasn't making a point; I was asking a question, hence the second sentence of my post ending with a question mark.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by backprop
I wasn't making a point; I was asking a question, hence the second sentence of my post ending with a question mark.
Then the question was either intentionally obtuse or based on not having read any of the other comments in this thread.

I, for one, am also displeased with this particular decision.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Then the question was either intentionally obtuse or based on not having read any of the other comments in this thread.

I, for one, am also displeased with this particular decision.
I was referring to the post directly before mine. I tried to use the caret character rather than quote it, but it changed to a "thumbs up" which is obviously misleading.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Me too

I just voiced my concern as well.
Using Midwest Nice, of course
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I don't recall ever reading a thread in this forum until today, and I've been here a while.

I'm Chicago bound next month, and opened the Midwest forum; then 'searched' Chicago. That move got me to this thread.

Since I'm a New Yorker, I have an opinion. But since this isn't my neighborhood, I'll say this one thing... dumb move by IB.

dh
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by glg
According to the other thread, the "problem" is that the Midwest forum had "too few" posts, so they decided the solution was to put Chicago into it to "perk it up". I would encourage anyone else who thinks this is backward reasoning to join in the thread linked above.
If they felt there were too few posts to justify a standalone Midwest forum, would have made more sense to combine it with the West forum, than with Chicago.

For that matter, if post count is how we're judging, would make sense to combine West and Texas, or combine Pac NW and Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.