Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

ORD Ground crews vote to strike

Old Nov 17, 16, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Looks like this could affect UA - among other carriers - over the coming Thanksgivingtravel days.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/u...rport-43615492
Old Nov 17, 16, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
$15 plus tips to push a wheelchair.

Union baby! Typical Chicago.
Old Nov 18, 16, 4:18 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
$15 plus tips to push a wheelchair.

Union baby! Typical Chicago.
I agree that $15/hr plus tips to do wheelchair pushing is pretty darn good money in this economy.

However, it's also baggage handlers fighting for $15/hr at ORD.

At some airports-- not sure about ORD--- some baggage handlers for some airlines are actually employed by outsourced 3rd party companies like PrimeFlight and Eulen America. Said handlers, including baggage office employees still don lapel pins and baggage handler uniforms belonging to the airline, despite being outsourced to a 3rd party.

Prior to such outsourcing, many baggage handlers that were true airline employees, made in excess of $15/hr (including benefits factored in). Baggage handling is hard work, and in Chicago, $15/hr for doing such strenuous work is fair, IMHO--especially with the volume of bags that flow through ORD.

If these outsourced employees win their fight and get $15/hr, it's probable that many won't get any benefits due to most only working part-time.
Old Nov 18, 16, 5:45 am

Programs: UA & AA
This is a good point and key differentiation. I used to be ground crew at MSP. At the airline I was working at, mainline planes were all employed by the airline while the regional jets were outsourced to Swissport I believe as they were operated by Skywest, Endeavor, etc.

For the work and toll that it takes on your body, $15 is not too much to ask particularly in an expensive city like Chicago.

Originally Posted by Max M View Post
I agree that $15/hr plus tips to do wheelchair pushing is pretty darn good money in this economy.

However, it's also baggage handlers fighting for $15/hr at ORD.

At some airports-- not sure about ORD--- some baggage handlers for some airlines are actually employed by outsourced 3rd party companies like PrimeFlight and Eulen America. Said handlers, including baggage office employees still don lapel pins and baggage handler uniforms belonging to the airline, despite being outsourced to a 3rd party.

Prior to such outsourcing, many baggage handlers that were true airline employees, made in excess of $15/hr (including benefits factored in). Baggage handling is hard work, and in Chicago, $15/hr for doing such strenuous work is fair, IMHO--especially with the volume of bags that flow through ORD.

If these outsourced employees win their fight and get $15/hr, it's probable that many won't get any benefits due to most only working part-time.
Old Nov 18, 16, 8:04 am

I am all for fair pay, I just don't think strikes are the answer.

I guess it is the only tool workers have but imho there has got to be a better way.

It is not the customers fault and while the airlines do pay a penalty, it is really the customer who suffers the most.
Old Nov 18, 16, 8:59 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Oh please let this not impact ORD tomorrow.
Old Nov 18, 16, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by doomxpatrol View Post
For the work and toll that it takes on your body, $15 is not too much to ask particularly in an expensive city like Chicago.
Not to mention the weather in Chicago is hostile to that sort of work about eight months out of the year.
Old Nov 18, 16, 9:52 am

They probably can't get any $10/hour employees because... background check.
Old Nov 18, 16, 10:02 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Where this affects ORD as a whole as opposed to just United, I'll move this thread over to the Chicago Forum

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Nov 21, 16, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

O'Hare ground workers strike will not occur until after the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. They are currently planning to begin their strike on 29NOV16. See:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/oha...liday-weekend/
Old Dec 1, 16, 7:52 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
so how are things at ORD? Not much in the way of news about any strikes.
Old Dec 2, 16, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
so how are things at ORD? Not much in the way of news about any strikes.
Sunny and 72. Progress on 27C moving along. The consolidated car rental is on time. Americans new L concourse progressing with steel to be hung starting in January. Oh AA's new lounge is open by the L concourse (by checkpoint 9)

Most importantly; no snow yet.

Search this Thread