Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

JAL arrival in ORD - time to MDW

JAL arrival in ORD - time to MDW

Old Oct 16, 16, 6:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 139
Question JAL arrival in ORD - time to MDW

Not sure where to post this, but hoping someone here will be able to help.

We are arriving in ORD on a JAL flight at 7:55am on 1/3. We would like to get from ORD to MDW for a flight back to BWI that departs at 1:30pm. We have Global Entry which will hopefully speed things up a bit.

Is it realistic to make the flight at MDW? What time could we reasonably expect to get there?

Thanks!

Last edited by AnthonyGT; Oct 19, 16 at 11:54 am
AnthonyGT is offline  
Old Oct 16, 16, 7:07 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: TYO
Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 341
As long as there's no snowstorm, which Chicago is famous for this time of the year, you should have plenty of time to go to MDW airport to catch your flight. When family was still living in Chicago, I would visit them 2-3x a year and one time, there was a snowstorm in the area so my flight got delayed for 7hrs and then we got stuck at the runway after landing for almost an hour waiting for an available gate for the plane to dock.

Cheers and best of luck on this day.
musashino22 is online now  
Old Oct 16, 16, 6:04 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 435
I would think you realistically should arrive at by 11am and probably before that (as long as there aren't any crazy storms or delays).

As the other poster noted above you should make it without issue.
AlwaysSunnyInORD is offline  
Old Oct 17, 16, 11:21 am
  #4  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,257
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD View Post
I would think you realistically should arrive at by 11am and probably before that (as long as there aren't any crazy storms or delays).

As the other poster noted above you should make it without issue.
Agreed. Allow an hour for immigration and customs, and you should be en route to Midway by 9 am.
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Oct 18, 16, 8:35 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PWM - the way life should be
Posts: 11,696
With Global Entry, allow 30 mins max for immigration (probably more like 5 minutes). Then it's 45 mins on the Blue Line to downtown, and about 25 minutes on the Orange Line to Midway.

At ~9am you'll still experience the end of rush hour, so the train will likely be faster. You'll also have plenty of time to get breakfast downtown if you'd like.
gfunkdave is offline  
Old Oct 19, 16, 9:24 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 139
Thank you for the feedback, everyone! It was very helpful!!
AnthonyGT is offline  
Old Oct 19, 16, 10:06 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 4,436
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post

At ~9am you'll still experience the end of rush hour, so the train will likely be faster. You'll also have plenty of time to get breakfast downtown if you'd like.
Yes, this is both faster and much cheaper than taking a car.

OP - just be aware it can be a little uncomfortable if have a lot of large bags. You'll be holding them on your lap, next to you in the narrow aisle, etc. And then the transfer to the orange line. Still the best way to go, but plan as well as you can for lugging the bags around.
JBord is offline  
Old Oct 19, 16, 10:17 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Yes, this is both faster and much cheaper than taking a car.

OP - just be aware it can be a little uncomfortable if have a lot of large bags. You'll be holding them on your lap, next to you in the narrow aisle, etc. And then the transfer to the orange line. Still the best way to go, but plan as well as you can for lugging the bags around.
Hmm. It's going to be 4 of us, with at least a suitcase and a carry-on. I was thinking we would just Uber or Taxi over. But we'll need a large vehicle.
AnthonyGT is offline  
Old Oct 19, 16, 2:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 4,436
Originally Posted by AnthonyGT View Post
Hmm. It's going to be 4 of us, with at least a suitcase and a carry-on. I was thinking we would just Uber or Taxi over. But we'll need a large vehicle.
I'm not an Uber expert, but 4 in a regular taxi with that luggage would be very tight at best. You could wait for a minivan, there are usually some at ORD, but you may have to pass up quite a few until you get one where you all fit.
JBord is offline  
Old Oct 23, 16, 3:48 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,538
Each CTA train car has 8 pairs of side facing seats next to each sliding door. There's room for the bag in front of your feet in these seats. Also a large open space for wheelchairs/suitcases/standees at one end of each car.

ORD is at the beginning of the Blue Line so you'll board empty trains there.

A transfer to the Orange Line is required at Clark/Lake Sts. Station. You'll switch from sub-basement level to elevated level. There are lifts if you look carefully. Several lifts would be required. This transit is done WITHIN the system (no exit/re-entry from/to the paid system). Do NOT exit the barriers there!

The Orange Line should be fairly empty at Clark/Lake since it is the farthest North on the route and it begins its trip South to MDW there.

Don't be afraid of the CTA option. It's part of Chicago. Plus the Orange Line is cool riding above the streets next to the downtown buildings.

I rode the Blue Line to our office for years.

I think the fare from ORD is now US$5 each. The CTA extorts extra money from ORD departing pax.
roberto99 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 7:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ORD
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 2,700
Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
I think the fare from ORD is now US$5 each. The CTA extorts extra money from ORD departing pax.
It is. You can use Apple or Android Pay instead of buying a Ventra transit card to board the train.
linglingfool is offline  
Old Nov 14, 16, 2:12 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Sentinel Island
Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Posts: 676
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
I'm not an Uber expert, but 4 in a regular taxi with that luggage would be very tight at best. You could wait for a minivan, there are usually some at ORD, but you may have to pass up quite a few until you get one where you all fit.
You can order an Uber XL and be guaranteed a van or SUV.
rdurlabhji is offline  
Old Nov 17, 16, 6:23 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago, USA
Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Posts: 717
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
I'm not an Uber expert, but 4 in a regular taxi with that luggage would be very tight at best. You could wait for a minivan, there are usually some at ORD, but you may have to pass up quite a few until you get one where you all fit.
I recently took a minivan taxi with 4 people, 9 suitcases and 4 carryons.A bit tight but it did fit. Get into the taxi queue and let the queue manager know you need a minivan. Waited for 10-15 minutes.
In your case, I'd probably choose the CTA option.
Ghentleman is offline  
Old Nov 18, 16, 8:36 pm
  #14  
glg
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, US
Posts: 2,182
Traffic shouldn't be that big a deal, you don't go via Kennedy/Stevenson, you take Tri-State south to Stevenson north. Tri-State south in the morning is generally pretty good. Stevenson will have some traffic, but won't be getting there until 9:30ish, so missing the worst of it. If there's no storm/big accident/etc, should be easily under an hour.
glg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread