Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Is the 3->5 shuttle available to any pax with a T5 BP? Or is it run by airlines than only take their pax?

Second question, somebody on the "train is down" thread posted that it is useless. Is there any basis to this? I would always prefer to avoid going groundiside if at all possible. [I do realize the reverse direction is a different story]

EDIT: Cancel the first question. I now see the airside bus (TTB) is an airport operated bus and not some creation of AA/UA.
Info on the Terminal Transfer Bus can be found here:

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/ATS.aspx

I suppose if your flight leaves from T5 at midnight then I understand it could be considered useless but otherwise, many people use it every day.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Some news that might be helpful...With the addition of the 2nd security checkpoint, plans are being made to have it used as a "express connection" checkpoint. Select passengers would be rerouted from those clearing CBP and Immigration back upstairs then taking an airside bus back over to T1,T2 or T3.

For those who know the T5 departures hall, the checkpoint will be located down on the far east end. The departing bus stop will be located near M3.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ords
Some news that might be helpful...With the addition of the 2nd security checkpoint, plans are being made to have it used as a "express connection" checkpoint. Select passengers would be rerouted from those clearing CBP and Immigration back upstairs then taking an airside bus back over to T1,T2 or T3.

For those who know the T5 departures hall, the checkpoint will be located down on the far east end. The departing bus stop will be located near M3.
This is great news! Who will be doing the selecting of the "select passengers"? The airlines? CBP? Or is that to be worked out?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
This is great news! Who will be doing the selecting of the "select passengers"? The airlines? CBP? Or is that to be worked out?
Airlines from what I am being told.

With the cost for the airside busing now being shared by all carriers, we'll be seeing T1 come online before summer around the time the checkpoint becomes operational.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Any idea if it’ll have PreCheck?
cheltzel likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Any idea if it’ll have PreCheck?
I'm not saying there isn't one but I can't easily think of an airport where they have PreCheck on dedicated Intl --> Domestic security screening. So that likely means "no".
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I'm not saying there isn't one but I can't easily think of an airport where they have PreCheck on dedicated Intl --> Domestic security screening. So that likely means "no".
I do not believe it is dedicated for I-D connecting passengers. If I read @ords post correctly this will be a second checkpoint on the Departures level and the connecting passengers will have to exit the Arrivals level and go upstairs to re-clear security. And the second checkpoint will be available for other passengers as well.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:55 pm

I do not believe it is dedicated for I-D connecting passengers. If I read @ords post correctly this will be a second checkpoint on the Departures level and the connecting passengers will have to exit the Arrivals level and go upstairs to re-clear security. And the second checkpoint will be available for other passengers as well.
You might be right and I guess we'll have to wait for @ords to weigh in with what else he knows. What caused me to think it's dedicated for I-->D passengers is the "selected by airlines" mention. That tipped me off that it's somehow dedicated, perhaps as a separate stream at the new checkpoint.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:03 pm

You might be right and I guess we'll have to wait for @ords to weigh in with what else he knows. What caused me to think it's dedicated for I-->D passengers is the "selected by airlines" mention. That tipped me off that it's somehow dedicated, perhaps as a separate stream at the new checkpoint.
What tipped me off was in the last sentence of his post ... see below. This is a new security checkpoint in the opposite direction of the current one (in the west end of the building) I believe.

Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:58 pm

What tipped me off was in the last sentence of his post ... see below. This is a new security checkpoint in the opposite direction of the current one (in the west end of the building) I believe.
The current checkpoint is right in the center of T5. What's not obvious is why this routing to a new East checkpoint is by airline selection if it's really for anyone anyway. Maybe it's just a "go the front of the line" card they hand people at customs exit?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

The current checkpoint is right in the center of T5. What's not obvious is why this routing to a new East checkpoint is by airline selection if it's really for anyone anyway. Maybe it's just a "go the front of the line" card they hand people at customs exit?
Because it's still being decided who gets to use this checkpoint lane during it's operations outside express connection folks. First/Business is being looked at, wheel chairs....The space itself isn't all that large and I believe there's only around 1200 sq. ft of queuing space for passengers. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:55 pm

Or on board if done by the airlines.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro

Would the bus be open only to those select passengers who clear this special checkpoint, or to anyone already on the airside of T5?
Never mind; if this was the case, there would be no need for a special checkpoint. I was thinking if the shuttle would make it possible to use T5 PP lounges before domestic flights.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:32 am

Currently there's no PreCheck screening point at T5 at all, despite the presence of several international carriers that offer PreCheck, not to mention Frontier. I think the question on a lot of minds (including mine, as I'll be flying out of T5 on BA in early May and have Pre) is "when is a PreCheck security checkpoint going to be added to T5?"
threeoh likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Currently there's no PreCheck screening point at T5 at all, despite the presence of several international carriers that offer PreCheck, not to mention Frontier. I think the question on a lot of minds (including mine, as I'll be flying out of T5 on BA in early May and have Pre) is "when is a PreCheck security checkpoint going to be added to T5?"
And hopefully a priority checkpoint for business and first passengers along with the PreCheck. I can dream, can't I?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.