Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stampchez
What is a realistic amount of time from the Polaris Lounge to T5 if using the G17 bus? I figure about a 20 minute walk from the lounge to the end of G.

We arrive at Terminal 1 at 4:43pm and depart on LX at 7:10pm. Maybe 30-45 minutes in the Polaris Lounge?

We are flying on a Saturday so there is the ATS option but would rather not leave security unless it is substantially faster.

Yes, 20 min walk is about right

When they let you off the bus, you are in the gate area, but T5 is a LOT longer and skinnier than it seems from the outside. You may have another 20 min walk to your gate - I have no idea where LX normally gates or if they even have assigned gates.

Good news - at that time of day, there is probably 15 people in PL and the burgers I had the past few days (3 trips total) the burgers came out very quickly.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by YEG780

If I get delayed and miss that bus, does the other shuttle still skip terminal 5 TSA? If not, any idea how long it might take to clear TSA at that time of night?
The issue at that time may not be just the timing of the last shuttle; for even if you show up before that last scheduled shuttle; there is a chance it is full before you can even show your boarding pass and passport to get listed for it.

TSA at T5 at that time has taken me anywhere from a 1-minute wait time to a 30-minute wait time + the screening time. So 2 minutes to 45 minutes is about the range I’ve experienced there between 8 and 10 pm.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The issue at that time may not be just the timing of the last shuttle; for even if you show up before that last scheduled shuttle; there is a chance it is full before you can even show your boarding pass and passport to get listed for it.

TSA at T5 at that time has taken me anywhere from a 1-minute wait time to a 30-minute wait time + the screening time. So 2 minutes to 45 minutes is about the range I’ve experienced there between 8 and 10 pm.
+1

My last two flights out of T5 have been in the evening "rush hour" and security has been a total mess. You are a bit earlier than what I have seen but I would plan on 30 minutes for security just ot be safe.

A question for @GUWonder ... doesn't the bus start at G17 and then go on the the K and L gates from there?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cheltzel
+1

My last two flights out of T5 have been in the evening "rush hour" and security has been a total mess. You are a bit earlier than what I have seen but I would plan on 30 minutes for security just ot be safe.

A question for @GUWonder ... doesn't the bus start at G17 and then go on the the K and L gates from there?
There are two airside shuttle bus routes for passengers to get to T5: one route leaving the K Gate near the AA Flagschlepp lounge with a stop at a another gate; and the other route covering just the G gate route IIRC.

My last time this year using the K gate route involved a 36 minute wait for the shuttle plus a stop plus the drive time to the additional gate and to T5. I could have done the trip faster landside, but I didn’t want to deal with the TSA screening again that day.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
When they let you off the bus, you are in the gate area, but T5 is a LOT longer and skinnier than it seems from the outside.
Is there only one stop at T5?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are two airside shuttle bus routes for passengers to get to T5: one route leaving the K Gate near the AA Flagschlepp lounge with a stop at a another gate; and the other route covering just the G gate route IIRC.
Are there clear announcements or other indicators as to what the stops are?
I'm advising someone unfamiliar with ORD, non native English speaker, connecting between T3/T5 and wouldn't want them to get on and off at two different gates in T3 !
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by davie355

I have only taken the G gate bus and yes, one stop in T5. It is kind of a pain as they basically have to let you in thru a secure door like the ground crew would have to open to get into the building. You are still entering a secure area of the airport, and the bus attendant talks to someone via radio who enters a code and opens a door on the tarmac, then you go up a long ramp to get to the T5 departure level.

I have heard the K gate bus makes 2 stops in the K gate area, then goes to T5, but I have zero idea and have never taken or seen that bus,
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:37 am

I'm advising someone unfamiliar with ORD, non native English speaker, connecting between T3/T5 and wouldn't want them to get on and off at two different gates in T3 !

iirc, they make you get off the bus, it is one way travel only, so once you get there, they make sure the bus is clear.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:09 am
Suspended

Passengers are only allowed to get off at T5 (after the shuttle vehicle leaves the gate where boarded in T3).

And it’s a one-way shuttle for passengers, so they will make sure to empty the shuttle at T5.

The above two items apply to the passenger shuttle routes from T3 to T5 — whether it’s the vehicle with no stops, no stops left, or one stop (to just pickup passengers).
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

There's 5.
M3
M4
M14
M15
M21

We can't cross arriving passengers with bus passengers as CBP isn't happy when that happens.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:28 pm

Thanks all for the info.

To anyone else planning to take this bus: I have learned there's a gap in service (lunch break) during the early to mid afternoon hours. I'm not sure exactly when those hours are; it simply underscores the need for a long connection time.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I just discovered this service, have thankfully avoided ORD domestic->international connections for a long while. But I've got one coming up in December most likely:

- any chance this service will go beyond seasonal? Especially during peak holiday travel periods?
- any chance Star will pick it up in the next 6 months?
- any chance the service will run longer than 8PM in the future?

(I'm asking because I know there is some chance all of these items are under discussion internally, and I'm an optimistic sort)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I just discovered this service, have thankfully avoided ORD domestic->international connections for a long while. But I've got one coming up in December most likely:

- any chance this service will go beyond seasonal? Especially during peak holiday travel periods?
- any chance Star will pick it up in the next 6 months?
- any chance the service will run longer than 8PM in the future?

(I'm asking because I know there is some chance all of these items are under discussion internally, and I'm an optimistic sort)
The T3-->T5 Terminal Transfer Bus runs year-round
User "ords" has commented that UA are looking at a T1-->T5 bus
The Terminal Transfer Bus runs until 8:30 PM, not 8:00.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The T3-->T5 Terminal Transfer Bus runs year-round
User "ords" has commented that UA are looking at a T1-->T5 bus
The Terminal Transfer Bus runs until 8:30 PM, not 8:00.
No it does not. I found this out from personal experience a few weeks ago.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cheltzel
No it does not. I found this out from personal experience a few weeks ago.
Then the official website must be wrong.

snip:
"The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 10:00 am - 8:30 pm."

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myf...s/default.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.