ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA MM
It looks like someone is doing something to get Star Alliance passengers on their way to T5. Today I came off a UA flight at ORD mid-afternoon and on the Jetway, next to the aircraft door, was an agent holding a large Austrian Airlines sign. I didn't stop to ask who was behind this but I imagine the person was there to help get someone to their Vienna flight with an airside transfer of some type.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster

A quick update on this.

UA has finally taken interest and progress is being made to get the busses running from T1. For October, the T3>T5 bus served 10,000 connecting passengers.
cheltzel and AceReport like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:07 am

Today I am flying out of terminal 3 to LAX, but I want to get to the airport early and use the priority pass lounges (either Air France or Swiss).

Can I check in at T5 and then go to T3?

Originally Posted by ords
A quick update on this.

UA has finally taken interest and progress is being made to get the busses running from T1. For October, the T3>T5 bus served 10,000 connecting passengers.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by drfunk
Today I am flying out of terminal 3 to LAX, but I want to get to the airport early and use the priority pass lounges (either Air France or Swiss).

Welcome to the board. In short, airlines with departures from T5 will have check-in facilities in T5. No airline operating from T5 would have a departure to LAX, though. I suppose you could check in with your airline at T1 or T3 and then try to get into T5 but I don't think you can. Maybe someone else has been successful tying to do this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drfunk

At ORD T5 security checkpoint, they check boarding passes and the signs to the TSA TDC say to show your passport. I don’t show my passport there, but they do check the boarding pass. If they check it closely enough, the TSA TDC can figure out if you’re supposed to be at T5 or not.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
A quick update on this.

How soon? I have a flight for Nov 29
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:02 am

Probably not going to happen but, it would be handy if the bus also worked in the opposite direction T5-T3.

The EI flights are precleared and we arrive into the gate area of T5, so could go to the drop off point for the bus. As it is, there are signs to follow through the gate area and they open a door that leads to the baggage hall, or you can bypass that and go directly to the arrivals hall. But, for so few flights that can avail of it, I doubt they would do it.

Best solution for me would be for EI to move out of T5 altogether.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shamrock125
Probably not going to happen but, it would be handy if the bus also worked in the opposite direction T5-T3.

The EI flights are precleared and we arrive into the gate area of T5, so could go to the drop off point for the bus. As it is, there are signs to follow through the gate area and they open a door that leads to the baggage hall, or you can bypass that and go directly to the arrivals hall. But, for so few flights that can avail of it, I doubt they would do it.

Best solution for me would be for EI to move out of T5 altogether.
EY did it for a while and the only reason it was done were most passengers coming off of EY was connecting on AA. EI connections are all over the place so sending them to T3 currently wouldn't make the most sense.

As for moving EI out of T5, not until 2025 or so once the new T2 with FIS is built. Widebody gates at T1 or T3 are just not there and AA and UA have their own plans to use them. Rumors abound both IB and and LH might head back to T5 just so both AA and UA can gain their gates back. This could be why UA has taken interest in the busing operation.

Last edited by ords; Nov 21, 2017 at 4:57 am Reason: contect
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
EY did it for a while and the only reason it was done were most passengers coming off of EY was connecting on AA. EI connections are all over the place so sending them to T3 currently wouldn't make the most sense.

As for moving EI out of T5, not until 2025 or so once the new T2 with FIS is built. Widebody gates at T1 or T3 are just not there and AA and UA have their own plans to use them. Rumors abound both IB and and LH might head back to T5 just so both AA and UA can gain their gates back. This could be why UA has taken interest in the busing operation.
A bit off topic ... If LH (and maybe NH?) move back to T5 maybe we will see a serious T5 upgrade as far as *A lounges go. I would love to see new upgraded LH/LX Business and Senator lounges in T5.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
A bit off topic ... If LH (and maybe NH?) move back to T5 maybe we will see a serious T5 upgrade as far as *A lounges go. I would love to see new upgraded LH/LX Business and Senator lounges in T5.

Would probably relieve a GINORMOUS buttload of pressure from Polaris as well
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:18 pm

OK, just went thru there a few days ago

Polaris lounge had NFC about the bus other than there "Might" be one, but the train is the best way to get to T5
Person checking BP and Passport at the bus access point said she sees quite a few *A people boarding

BR is not prepared for people to take the bus, as we get to the terminal about 4 hours before the flight (we got there right as the arriving plane got there)
We got lounge access by letting them scan our BP (we couldn't get the access cards as we didn't go tthru the BR "Check in counter"
We were summoned immediately upon the gate desk opening to provide passport, and documents, plus our luggage tags to make sure our luggage got on the plane (was nice to get verbal confirmation they found our luggage and put it on the plane)

Bus driver and host person on bus both said they have been told expansion of service is coming, expect longer hours and expansion to T1 soon
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
OK, just went thru there a few days ago

Polaris lounge had NFC about the bus other than there "Might" be one, but the train is the best way to get to T5
Person checking BP and Passport at the bus access point said she sees quite a few *A people boarding

BR is not prepared for people to take the bus, as we get to the terminal about 4 hours before the flight (we got there right as the arriving plane got there)
We got lounge access by letting them scan our BP (we couldn't get the access cards as we didn't go tthru the BR "Check in counter"
We were summoned immediately upon the gate desk opening to provide passport, and documents, plus our luggage tags to make sure our luggage got on the plane (was nice to get verbal confirmation they found our luggage and put it on the plane)

Bus driver and host person on bus both said they have been told expansion of service is coming, expect longer hours and expansion to T1 soon
Thank you for the follow up. One item that's going to help will be the newer FIDS screens being installed. Right now there's no way of knowing what gate you're assigned to for the departure since a lot of monitors were taken down. OW folks have it nailed down when it comes to helping passengers connect. Star is pretty much clueless and they know it.

While this is intended to operate year around, there will be times when snow events are taking place it will be shut down. Those decision will be made usually day of.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:06 am

I suspect that will be the typical case though; it seems like usually that check in staff close the desks and move to the gate when there's only one flight a day, which would be when they catch anyone whose documents they haven't checked yet. Is there something different that you'd expect?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by bver100
I suspect that will be the typical case though; it seems like usually that check in staff close the desks and move to the gate when there's only one flight a day, which would be when they catch anyone whose documents they haven't checked yet. Is there something different that you'd expect?
Hmm, maybe it came out differently, than what I intended. It happened exactly as I described and more or less as I expected. I did NOT expect the desk to be manned at 8pm for a 1am flight. When I said we were immediately summoned to the gate desk - that was a few hours after we got there about 90 minutes before boarding, when they manned the gate desk. They knew we had 2 bags checked as well, and asked for both bag tags. They knew one was checked to me and one was checked to my wife, but they didn't seem to know the bag tag numbers - or maybe wanted to double check. I am not sure if they knew I was there due to the computer picking up my earlier flight or what. Maybe the lounge called to make sure we were allowed access (AF/KLM) is the contract lounge for EVA.

What I wasn't really expecting was the frantic nature of the EVA employees trying to track me down in the lounge literally wondering how the hell I could get passed the check in counter to the secure area without them knowing. When I explained to them I took the bus, 2 of the 3 EVA agents working the desk had no idea what "Bus" I was referring, the 3rd thought it was only for BA. All 3 gate agents seemed confused at how I got there WITH boarding passes by not going thru T5 check in counter or security. They probably are still wondering how my wife and I performed that Houdini trick and I told them exactly how I did it.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:31 am
Original Poster

What I wasn't really expecting was the frantic nature of the EVA employees trying to track me down in the lounge literally wondering how the hell I could get passed the check in counter to the secure area without them knowing. When I explained to them I took the bus, 2 of the 3 EVA agents working the desk had no idea what "Bus" I was referring, the 3rd thought it was only for BA. All 3 gate agents seemed confused at how I got there WITH boarding passes by not going thru T5 check in counter or security. They probably are still wondering how my wife and I performed that Houdini trick and I told them exactly how I did it.
With this, I've sent your feedback to the EVA station manager. He was aware of the busing operation and fully admitted they haven't put a plan in place to handle connecting passengers coming off the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.