ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 5:18 pm

ORD T5 to T3

I know there's now an airside connection T3 (UA domestic) to T5. What's the latest story on the reverse direction, international arrival at T5 to United domestic departure at T3? Is there anything airside available, or is it still exit customs, take bus to T3, and go through new security? If the latter, would $20 to a cab driver beat the bus on busy days?
Old May 26, 2019, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starman
I know there's now an airside connection T3 (UA domestic) to T5. What's the latest story on the reverse direction, international arrival at T5 to United domestic departure at T3? Is there anything airside available, or is it still exit customs, take bus to T3, and go through new security? If the latter, would $20 to a cab driver beat the bus on busy days?
For now it's still the flow you laid out. Personally, I'd pay the 20 but wouldn't make it a habit. There are changes coming to the upper-level departures roadway that should help improve vehicle flow. There's also changes moving the TNP folks too.

So the plan is to start reverse busing once the 2nd checkpoint is officially open. I haven't asked for some of the finer details about the checkpoint hours of operation, who will it be used for, where's the drop-off point at T1 and T3.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
Great news!

Will Checkpoint 11 have TSA Precheck?
So there is in place a plan to expand the current checkpoint by 4 lanes as part of the T5 expansion. I'm also hearing at this point there will be a dedicated Precheck lane(s) since the configuration is being set up for Delta's move over. It's coming, but right now from what I've been told, the numbers are just not there yet to warrant a specific lane and set up.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by ords
So the plan is to start reverse busing once the 2nd checkpoint is officially open. I haven't asked for some of the finer details about the checkpoint hours of operation, who will it be used for, where's the drop-off point at T1 and T3.
Thanks. I'm not familiar enough with ORD T5 to visualize how the newly planned "reverse busing" that you mention will help the congestion and cut down on connection time? Isn't the T5 bag claim area already a non-sterile, landside area, and must always remain so, as pax from different international arriving flights can mingle there? So once you're through immigration, you're landside, and there can never be an airside T5 to T3 connection, right?
Old May 26, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Starman
So once you're through immigration, you're landside, and there can never be an airside T5 to T3 connection, right?
Customs always dumps you landside because you've seen your checked baggage.

However, the idea is that once things are up and running you could re-clear TSA in T5 and take an airside bus to T1/2/3 (which wouldn't get caught in landside traffic), and if you landed on a domestic flight or pre-cleared int'l flight in T5 you will be able to go straight to be bus.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Well best laid plans sometimes fail. Was suppose to start today but due to a last minute safety audit will now start on May 29th.

This is located down by M1 and M2 from the terminal side.

The hours will be shifting too, the service will run from 1100-2100 daily. Signs are being updated. The T1 spot will be located at B1.

Last edited by ords; May 29, 2019 at 9:19 am Reason: Added content
Old May 30, 2019, 4:27 am
Original Poster

First transfer passengers using the new drop
Old May 30, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Effective Wednesday 05 June security Check Point 11 will officially open at T5.

Please note the following Check Point 11 details:

· Located on the east side of the terminal (by check in positions 5F)

· Will consist of 2 TSA security clearance lanes

· Hours of operation 1230 – 2030 (subject to change based on peak demand, but will operate 8 hours)

· Will be used to screen

o Carrier Crew Members

o Express Connect Passengers (T5 to T1/T3 Transfers via airside busing operation)

§ Reverse transfer busing will be from M1

§ The Avi Ramp has been installed for the startup of reverse transfers

o Check point 10 overflow/traffic management

§ Prime Flight queue management personnel will be issued radios to coordinate overflow/traffic management
Old May 30, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
· Will be used to screen
o Express Connect Passengers (T5 to T1/T3 Transfers via airside busing operation)
No bueno unless you have an Express Connection card?
Old May 31, 2019, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by legalalien
No bueno unless you have an Express Connection card?
Correct, which I'm dumbfounded considering we have both EI and EY with precleared flights which literally could walk from the gate to the bus without going land side again. So those folks won't be able to use it either.

Give it a week or two.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Correct, which I'm dumbfounded considering we have both EI and EY with precleared flights which literally could walk from the gate to the bus without going land side again. So those folks won't be able to use it either.

Give it a week or two.
Quoting myself...

A change already's been made. Both EY and EI connecting passengers will be able to use the bus as long as they have a connecting boarding pass issued to them. I'm not sure how luggage will be handled.

The 5th is a soft opening as UA is still not prepared yet over by B1. I'm hearing close to the end of the month for it to be fully operational.
legalalien likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

So the checkpoint is now officially open. However the reverse busing has been placed on hold for reasons that have not be disseminated and have upset the carriers.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
OK, to catch up:

I have a UA flight from TYS to ORD next week, which connects to a SAS flight to CPH. I have a little over three hours from 6:45pm arrival in T2 to 10:05pm departure from T5. If all goes well, I figure I have time to check out the Polaris Lounge in T1 for about an hour and then around 8:30 or earlier (the route closes at 9pm), head to one of the T3 Pickup Locations; G17, K20 or L24 where I will catch the airside TTB to T5, arriving at gate M1. From there I will need to hoof it to Gate M15 or so to eventually board the SAS flight.

timings sound about right?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by renault4
OK, to catch up:

I have a UA flight from TYS to ORD next week, which connects to a SAS flight to CPH. I have a little over three hours from 6:45pm arrival in T2 to 10:05pm departure from T5. If all goes well, I figure I have time to check out the Polaris Lounge in T1 for about an hour and then around 8:30 or earlier (the route closes at 9pm), head to one of the T3 Pickup Locations; G17, K20 or L24 where I will catch the airside TTB to T5, arriving at gate M1. From there I will need to hoof it to Gate M15 or so to eventually board the SAS flight.

timings sound about right?
The published times for the service are incorrect. The last bus leaves G17 before 8:00 PM (or at least it did that last time I tried to catch the airside bus to T5). I would plan on being at G15 by about 7:45PM.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cheltzel
The published times for the service are incorrect. The last bus leaves G17 before 8:00 PM (or at least it did that last time I tried to catch the airside bus to T5). I would plan on being at G15 by about 7:45PM.
Wait, wow, to paraphrase the words of a former Vice President, that’s a big flipping deal; thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.