Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Old Feb 7, 19, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ords View Post
Because it's still being decided who gets to use this checkpoint lane during it's operations outside express connection folks. First/Business is being looked at, wheel chairs....The space itself isn't all that large and I believe there's only around 1200 sq. ft of queuing space for passengers. I'm open to any suggestions.
I would vote for (in the following order):

(1) Connecting pax who have a flight departing in less than 60 minutes especially on days when the ATS replacement bus is not running smoothly. This would ensure those folks get to their flights and also reduce the line for the ATS replacement bus.

(2) Wheelchair pax until ATS is up and running. I don't use a wheelchair but I imagine it's easier to navigate indoors via ATS than outdoors loading onto and off of buses in inclement weather. But easier to take TTB than the landside bus for sure.

(3) Pax who are Premier / F / J, if there is enough capacity.

Since there is currently no Pre in T5, I'd probably opt to take ATS to my domestic terminal to pass through a Pre checkpoint unless one or more of the following:

(a) ATS is not running
(b) I have a long connection, and access to lounges in T5 followed by TTB would be possible (using either new or existing checkpoint), and I would not have lounge access in domestic terminal
(c) TTB stops at a gate near my flight e.g. perhaps it goes direct to concourse C, whereas ATS would be T5->T3->T2->T1 and my gate is a long walk from the T1 Pre checkpoint

Of course I'm a pretty advanced user, most pax are just going to see a sign that says "express connect" and get in line unless they don't qualify or the line is super long. But I don't necessarily think the experience of re-clearing in T5 and taking TTB will be superior to taking ATS unless one of a-c above is true.
Old Feb 7, 19, 8:39 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I'm not saying there isn't one but I can't easily think of an airport where they have PreCheck on dedicated Intl --> Domestic security screening. So that likely means "no".
OT, but ATL had a PreCheck lane at I-D screening when I re-entered the US there in September.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Since there is currently no Pre in T5, I'd probably opt to take ATS to my domestic terminal to pass through a Pre checkpoint unless one or more of the following:

(a) ATS is not running
That's the case for the next ~8 months or so, and even assuming it's running, for my upcoming trip to LHR in May, that would require (a) checking my bags at the BA counter at T5, (b) riding the ATS one stop to T3, (c) clearing security at T3, (c1) praying the TSA doesn't direct me back to T5 to clear security, and (d) riding the airside shuttle bus back to T5. All with a 10-month old baby. At that point, I'd rather just take my damn shoes off at the regular T5 checkpoint and spend the time I would've spend doing the aforementioned eating delicious buns from Wow Bao.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
That's the case for the next ~8 months or so, and even assuming it's running, for my upcoming trip to LHR in May, that would require (a) checking my bags at the BA counter at T5, (b) riding the ATS one stop to T3, (c) clearing security at T3, (c1) praying the TSA doesn't direct me back to T5 to clear security, and (d) riding the airside shuttle bus back to T5. All with a 10-month old baby. At that point, I'd rather just take my damn shoes off at the regular T5 checkpoint and spend the time I would've spend doing the aforementioned eating delicious buns from Wow Bao.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant I would take ATS to domestic terminal in the case that I was arriving on an int'l flight in T5 and connecting to a domestic flight out of T1/2/3. The discussion was about a new express connect checkpoint that would allow arriving T5 pax to clear customs and then immediately clear security and take the airside bus over to the domestic terminals. I was saying I'd likely skip that checkpoint and just take ATS unless the enumerated list of factors came into play.

I was not talking about originating in ORD. If originating in ORD and flying out of T5, I might clear in T1/2/3 through Pre and take TTB if I was stepping off the blue line and didn't have checked bags, since it would involve getting on a bus/ATS either way. If arriving by taxi I'd just head straight to T5 and suck up Pre lite.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant I would take ATS to domestic terminal in the case that I was arriving on an int'l flight in T5 and connecting to a domestic flight out of T1/2/3. The discussion was about a new express connect checkpoint that would allow arriving T5 pax to clear customs and then immediately clear security and take the airside bus over to the domestic terminals. I was saying I'd likely skip that checkpoint and just take ATS unless the enumerated list of factors came into play.

I was not talking about originating in ORD. If originating in ORD and flying out of T5, I might clear in T1/2/3 through Pre and take TTB if I was stepping off the blue line and didn't have checked bags, since it would involve getting on a bus/ATS either way. If arriving by taxi I'd just head straight to T5 and suck up Pre lite.
I understand your point. It might come down to where you connecting gate is. If it's way out on Concourse C, for example, and the reverse TTB happens to stop close by then that would seem to be a quick means of getting there from T5.
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:09 am

I'm considering a domestic to international connection (arrives in T3 and departs in T5). The layover time is 1 hour and 40 minutes about mid-day on a Thursday, and I was wondering if that's enough time for the airside shuttle. I've seen several posts about the international to domestic times, but not as many on the other way. I'm hoping they'll have the shuttle running fairly smoothly by the end of March, when I'm expecting to travel. My other option is to go through Seattle, but that means a 4-hour layover. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts!
Old Feb 26, 19, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Beebo99 View Post
I'm considering a domestic to international connection (arrives in T3 and departs in T5). The layover time is 1 hour and 40 minutes about mid-day on a Thursday, and I was wondering if that's enough time for the airside shuttle. I've seen several posts about the international to domestic times, but not as many on the other way. I'm hoping they'll have the shuttle running fairly smoothly by the end of March, when I'm expecting to travel. My other option is to go through Seattle, but that means a 4-hour layover. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts!
The temporary shuttle that has been in the news for some glitches is a landside shuttle. The T3 --> T5 airside shuttle which you'll take is completely different. If you're on a single ticket (i.e. making an official connection), I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Feb 27, 19, 6:30 am
Original Poster

By May, we should have a dedicated TTB (terminal transfer bus) stop by M3. This is planned to be used as the stop for the reverse, although there's some initial talk of looking at M14 which would be significantly closer to the additional checkpoint. The stop for T1 is being addressed, so yes it going to happen before peak summer starts.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Feb 27, 19, 8:25 am

Thanks very much, JimInOhio and ords!! Glad to know that I won't have to stress about getting over to Terminal 5.
Old Feb 27, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
By May, we should have a dedicated TTB (terminal transfer bus) stop by M3. This is planned to be used as the stop for the reverse, although there's some initial talk of looking at M14 which would be significantly closer to the additional checkpoint. The stop for T1 is being addressed, so yes it going to happen before peak summer starts.
That is great news!! Looking forward to it next June/July.
Old May 13, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
How is the dedicated TTB stop at M3 going? Thank you for the regular updates, ords.
Old May 14, 19, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
How is the dedicated TTB stop at M3 going? Thank you for the regular updates, ords.
It's moving along. Both the 2nd 2 lane checkpoint on the east side of the checkin hall and the TTB are a work in progress. The goal is to get the bus stop finished before the checkpoint. Those traveling in/out of the airport can see the large passenger ramp and wall cut out by M1 where the buses will eventually go. I'll try to snap a photo or two and post them back up here.

I'll also need to find out where the stops at T3 and T1 will be, I've been focused on other issues. The TSA and CDA haven't fully decided how to use the 2nd checkpoint outside of the reverse connecting passengers.
Old May 16, 19, 6:40 am

They can't get this ATS back in operation fast enough. On Tuesday afternoon, there was an overturned dump truck on Mannheim which totally gridlocked traffic all around the airport. There must have been hundreds of people waiting at the rental car center for buses to arrive and even after that, it was a painfully long time to get to the terminals. Who knows how many people missed flights? Fortunately, I made mine.