Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Getting from ORD Airport to Downtown/Hilton

Getting from ORD Airport to Downtown/Hilton

Old Sep 17, 16, 4:27 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MEL
Programs: QF WP, VA
Posts: 52
Getting from ORD Airport to Downtown/Hilton

Investigating ways of travelling to the hotel.
Google maps states going by road may take more than 60mins, so same time as taking the train?
Are there airport shuttles available? (Need to prebook?)

Thanks
Texter is online now  
Old Sep 17, 16, 12:38 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,262
What day of the week and time of the day are you arriving? The El is probably a better option if it's during rush hour, but otherwise driving might be a little bit faster.

There are shuttles -- Go Airport Express -- and you do not need to pre-book. Look for them on the ground floor of the terminal near baggage claim. Uber also does airport pick ups.
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Sep 18, 16, 1:06 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MEL
Programs: QF WP, VA
Posts: 52
Thanks.

My flight from YYZ arrives on a Sat at 1PM.
I am likely to have a bit of baggage so wasn't too keen on taking the train unless it was quicker. Also I would need to lug my bags for about a half mile to the hotel.
Texter is online now  
Old Sep 18, 16, 11:19 am
  #4  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,262
Originally Posted by Texter View Post
Thanks.

My flight from YYZ arrives on a Sat at 1PM.
I am likely to have a bit of baggage so wasn't too keen on taking the train unless it was quicker. Also I would need to lug my bags for about a half mile to the hotel.
Yeah, just take a cab, Uber or a shuttle. You won't save any time on the blue line, and it might actually take longer because they seem to be doing a lot of work on that route on weekends.
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Sep 18, 16, 1:40 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,663
You can take the Blue Line and transfer to the Red Line at Jackson and then walk 3 blocks from Harrison or take uber from there. Or take the Blue Line to Jackson and uber from there. If staying at the Chicago Hilton I take the Blue Line to the Red Line and walk from Harrison but I usually just have a roller bag.
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Sep 18, 16, 2:17 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,915
Uber. Uber. Uber.

Nothing beats price & convenience.
Often1 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 16, 2:18 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Posts: 3,378
Originally Posted by Texter View Post
Investigating ways of travelling to the hotel.
Google maps states going by road may take more than 60mins, so same time as taking the train?
The cab drivers are pretty good at bypassing the worst traffic jams so they are likely to do better than Google suggests. You should also check Google maps for the day and time you will be travelling.
MADPhil is offline  
Old Sep 18, 16, 7:04 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,860
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
You can take the Blue Line and transfer to the Red Line at Jackson and then walk 3 blocks from Harrison or take uber from there. Or take the Blue Line to Jackson and uber from there. If staying at the Chicago Hilton I take the Blue Line to the Red Line and walk from Harrison but I usually just have a roller bag.
Or just walk from Jackson. Probably 5 minutes more than transferring to the red line, before the transfer time waiting to go 2 blocks.
milepig is online now  
Old Sep 18, 16, 7:10 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,773
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
You can take the Blue Line and transfer to the Red Line at Jackson and then walk 3 blocks from Harrison or take uber from there. Or take the Blue Line to Jackson and uber from there. If staying at the Chicago Hilton I take the Blue Line to the Red Line and walk from Harrison but I usually just have a roller bag.
Most EL stations in the loop require that you walk up and down stairs, which can be bad with luggage. Plan your route around transfers and stations that are marked as accessible on the map.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 18, 16, 7:12 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,663
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Or just walk from Jackson. Probably 5 minutes more than transferring to the red line, before the transfer time waiting to go 2 blocks.
When I stay at the Hilton, the weather is usually cold and nasty. Otherwise, I agree.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Most EL stations in the loop require that you walk up and down stairs, which can be bad with luggage. Plan your route around transfers and stations that are marked as accessible on the map.
Jackson fits the bill.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 18, 16 at 10:28 pm Reason: merge
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Sep 19, 16, 4:14 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MEL
Programs: QF WP, VA
Posts: 52
Thanks everyone.
Going by road seems the go.
Everyone in US seems to use Uber - Will have to give a try back home before attempting overseas... Not having a local SIM or data might pose an issue using the App?
Texter is online now  
Old Sep 19, 16, 8:16 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Posts: 3,378
Originally Posted by Texter View Post
Thanks everyone.
Going by road seems the go.
Everyone in US seems to use Uber - Will have to give a try back home before attempting overseas... Not having a local SIM or data might pose an issue using the App?
You are going to need data to use the app. If you have roaming then it will work at a price.
MADPhil is offline  
Old Sep 19, 16, 1:29 pm
  #13  
glg
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, US
Posts: 2,182
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
The cab drivers are pretty good at bypassing the worst traffic jams so they are likely to do better than Google suggests. You should also check Google maps for the day and time you will be travelling.
I would agree with this and go a step further, check the traffic when you arrive. Traffic jams inbound on Saturday afternoons are pretty common with people coming into the city from the suburbs for the evening. OP will probably be ahead of that at 1pm (seems more like 3-4pm it gets bad).
glg is offline  
Old Sep 30, 16, 12:58 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2
Uber will cost you about $25-$35 depending on traffic. Taking the El will cost you $5 from the airport. If there's traffic, taking Uber into the city will take just as long as taking the El.
guenter15 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread