Reload this Page >

Arriving at ORD T5 and departing straight away

Old Sep 9, 16, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Hi,

I will be flying for miles, arriving at T5 with SAS from Europe. I will then have 2hrs 10m before my return back to Europe, same aircraft.

Am I able to just roam from the concourse? or will I be forced to clear border, and re-clear security?

If so, will it be enough time? Hand luggage only of course.. and I will be checked in for both flights.

Thanks
Old Sep 9, 16, 9:14 pm
glg

Originally Posted by SwiftFoX View Post
Hi,

I will be flying for miles, arriving at T5 with SAS from Europe. I will then have 2hrs 10m before my return back to Europe, same aircraft.

Am I able to just roam from the concourse? or will I be forced to clear border, and re-clear security?

If so, will it be enough time? Hand luggage only of course.. and I will be checked in for both flights.

Thanks
You will have to clear immigration/customs and re-clear security. ORD doesn't have the concept of "in transit". (do any US airports?)
Old Sep 10, 16, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Since it is the same aircraft being late won't matter and it takes awhile to turn it around. As long as you have no checked baggage you should be fine. Out through customs, escalators up a floor and back through security. Pretty easy.
Old Sep 13, 16, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Be prepared for strange looks and unusual questions from the customs agent, unless you happen to get one who knows a thing or two about mileage runs.
Old Sep 13, 16, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SwiftFoX View Post
Hi,

Thanks
The US requires anyone who lands at a US airport to clear immigration and customs even in transit. ORD has a bypass for people with hand luggage only called "One Stop" which does both with one agent and skips the baggage claim. You will need ESTA or a visa to enter the US.
Old Sep 14, 16, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
The US requires anyone who lands at a US airport to clear immigration and customs even in transit. ORD has a bypass for people with hand luggage only called "One Stop" which does both with one agent and skips the baggage claim. You will need ESTA or a visa to enter the US.
Which if CBP has their way will scale back 1Stop staffing on Oct 1st. Right now there's a small airline working group building a case on why it should be left open during the winter season.

Search this Thread