FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   Milwaukee airport or lake hotel suggestions needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1783969-milwaukee-airport-lake-hotel-suggestions-needed.html)

mstraveler Aug 10, 2016 2:21 pm

Milwaukee airport or lake hotel suggestions needed

Could use some suggestions for two overnights around Milwaukee. Am rearranging a vacation in Canada to attend a memorial in Green Bay and would like to find a good airport or lake hotel. Would like to be downtown, but don't think it is worth the hassles (parking and internet fees, higher prices etc) given that I get in later on a Friday and leave early on Sunday and will spend all day Saturday in Green Bay.

Suggestions for the best of the bunch of airport hotels (doesn't need to be rock bottom budget)? Or someplace not too far away on the lake? Any place interesting around there for dinners? I don't expect miracles around an airport but thought I would do the best I could!

Thanks all :D.

maybel Aug 10, 2016 3:15 pm

Hotels in North East Milwaukee Near I-43

I would recommend that you stay in one of the hotels off I-43 in Glendale (one of Milwaukee north suburbs. There are a few reasonably good ones close to Bayshore Town Center, which has many good restaurants and shopping places to stretch your legs. Parking should all be free around there. You are also about 30 minutes closer to Green Bay

Some of them are:
Radisson Milwaukee Northshore
La Quinta Milwaukee Glendale or Bayshore area
Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront.

mstraveler Aug 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by maybel (Post 27045741)
I would recommend that you stay in one of the hotels off I-43 in Glendale (one of Milwaukee north suburbs. There are a few reasonably good ones close to Bayshore Town Center, which has many good restaurants and shopping places to stretch your legs. Parking should all be free around there. You are also about 30 minutes closer to Green Bay

Some of them are:
Radisson Milwaukee Northshore
La Quinta Milwaukee Glendale or Bayshore area
Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront.

Sounds like a good idea maybel. I know Sunday to the MKE will be no problem, but am I likely to find a lot of traffic getting from MKE north at about 6:30 on Friday evening? That was my only thought about staying right at the airport, which I generally find to be a dismal choice and avoid it if possible!

mke9499 Aug 10, 2016 9:39 pm

You have a few good suggestions, already. The North Shore/Glendale area will locate you five minutes away from one of the popular local malls. There will be the usual assortment of restaurants and shopping there, and you will be right next to I-43. You will also be very near or next to Kopp's, which is a Milwaukee landmark for burgers, etc., but mostly for its frozen custard.

Another option is to stay about four or five miles north of that area in the Milwaukee suburb of Mequon. The area is a bit more upscale and very safe. There are several restaurants there within walking distance of accommodations, which would give you a choice of cuisine, including one with a full menu and Milwaukee fish fry, one with a full burger menu, as well as a Chinese restaurant - all popular neighborhood spots. There are other good choices for dining that are about a five minute drive away. This area is less than five minutes off of the interstate and probably a bit quieter than the Glendale/Bayshore area, which is very commercial.

There are two choices for accommodations in Mequon. The Chalet Motel and Baymont Inn and Suites are across from each other. There is a gas station at that intersection and a small area mall about a half mile up the road, on the way back to the interstate.

During the summer, the traffic heading north on 43 on Fridays can be heavy, due to weekend vacationers heading "up north." I believe, however, that after you get past the suburbs, the traffic may start to thin out.

Mequon is about a 40 minute drive on a Friday late afternoon/evening, north of the airport, straight up I-43, on the way to Green Bay.