Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

NY Times - 36 Hours in Chicago

Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick

Ethnic eateries and neighborhood bars are included in the recommendations:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=headline&te=1
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
A few of the areas in the article are not neighborhoods where I'd send people who weren't familiar and comfortable with them already, or weren't used to urban areas. Fairly safe during the day, but I'd be more cautious at night.

Maybe I'm more cautious than most people though...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JBord
A few of the areas in the article are not neighborhoods where I'd send people who weren't familiar and comfortable with them already, or weren't used to urban areas. Fairly safe during the day, but I'd be more cautious at night.

Maybe I'm more cautious than most people though...
Agree -- anywhere west of Humboldt Park is questionable at night unless you're taking an Uber door-to-door.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Agree -- anywhere west of Humboldt Park is questionable at night unless you're taking an Uber door-to-door.
Maybe the area around La Palma might be questionable at night, but everywhere else listed is fine.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by XLR26
Maybe the area around La Palma might be questionable at night, but everywhere else listed is fine.
If you're familiar with the city, I don't disagree. But some of these areas if you walk a couple blocks from the L, get lost, have to park a few blocks away, etc. can be questionable at night, IMO.

Published in the NY Times, I think it's responsible to warn visitors to the city to be cautious if going at night.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
I find that hard to agree with maybe 3 years ago. There are some pretty nice condos coming up around there. Just don't go too far west at night. During the day it's pretty safe. Children walk around there.

Also thankfully the NYT didn't go and publish a typical loop guide that is for amateur tourists. They went into the city proper avoiding all the tourist traps.

Some character there, exactly what I expect from a nyc publication.

Last edited by sxr71; Aug 11, 2016 at 10:39 am
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by sxr71
Just don't go too far west at night.
That was my point. My sister lives around the corner, and doesn't have a problem walking the neighborhood during the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.