Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CTA using Paywave/NFC/contactless foreign credit card?

Old Jun 6, 16, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

I'll be visiting Chicago for two days and probably need to take the L "subway" a couple of times. Does anyone know whether European-issued Paywave-enabled Visa credit cards are accepted by the system as PAYG tickets?
Do you just touch in and get charged $2.25 for the ride?

If that does not work what's the next best option? Buy a Ventra card for $5 from a vending machine and load it with a few bucks? How long does it take after online registration for the upfront price to be available as spendable deposit?
Do vending machines at L stations accept credit cards (MC or Visa)?
Old Jun 6, 16, 6:12 pm

Can't answer the rest of your questions as I only visit Chicago. But yes the vending machines accept credit cards.
Old Jun 8, 16, 11:54 pm

While I don't have any experience with foreign cards, the CTA accepts all cards that conform to the contactless protocol, so a European issued Visa should work fine. It's worth noting, however, that you do not get transfers when using your own device; each ride will be charged separately; whether or not this is an issue obviously depends on whether you have to transfer from bus to rail or vice-versa. As far as I know, Ventra account crediting should be nearly instant.

Search this Thread