Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Wolfgang Puck closes at ORD T3 [replaced by Publican]

Old Jun 1, 16, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Suddenly, the Wolfgang Puck closed with little/no notice. There is now a new restaurant going up in its place.

I am disappointed. The WP had good food and great service.

I did some searches and it seems that Wolfgang Puck is actually closing up quite a few of his locations. Have we fallen out of love with the Puck?
Old Jun 1, 16, 12:58 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by factory81 View Post
Suddenly, the Wolfgang Puck closed with little/no notice. There is now a new restaurant going up in its place.

I am disappointed. The WP had good food and great service.

I did some searches and it seems that Wolfgang Puck is actually closing up quite a few of his locations. Have we fallen out of love with the Puck?
I fell out about 15 years ago. I won't miss this one.
Old Jun 1, 16, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Apparently Puck's corporate group is engaging in hardball with regard to lease increases and other financial aspects. They feel that, in the face of onerous terms, they will simply walk away, with no advance warning in some cases.

This doesn't affect the flagship properties such as Spago or especially Cut, the very successful steakhouses. Cut is adding new locations, including one in New York.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jun 2, 16 at 9:31 am
Old Jun 1, 16, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by GB View Post
Same here, didn't like the ones I tried in DEN and SEA. In ORD I usually go for Rick Bayless's Frontera.
Old Jun 2, 16, 8:42 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Same. I feel all of the WP chain places - especially the airport ones - are not only hit or miss but just too much to mentally digest when making a connection.
Old Jun 2, 16, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
The replacement will be much better. The Publican is one of my favorite Chicago restaurants:

http://chicago.eater.com/2016/1/14/1...uck-terminal-3
Old Jun 2, 16, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji View Post
The replacement will be much better. The Publican is one of my favorite Chicago restaurants:

This is really good news. Local places ar always great to show travelers a city's food heritage.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jun 2, 16 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 5, 16, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum

Publican may be my favorite Chicago restaurant. But I can't imagine it in airport form. Anything is better than WP though.
Old Jun 6, 16, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The server jobs are now posted on the HMS Host website.

And the Publican Instagram page is showing some food pix and named the chef who will lead the food team. No dates mentioned.
Old Jun 6, 16, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Wonder if anything will happen to the WP in Terminal 1? I noticed this weekend it was still operating.

Can't say I have ever been tempted to visit WP.
Old Jun 6, 16, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Wonder if anything will happen to the WP in Terminal 1? I noticed this weekend it was still operating.
As far as I know the other ORD Puck locations (including T1) are unaffected because their leases are not up (yet).
Old Jun 10, 16, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Publican may be my favorite Chicago restaurant. But I can't imagine it in airport form. Anything is better than WP though.
Personal sources say they are supposed to have a really good beer program at the airport location (as far as selections at the airport go).

I'd expect a food program similar to Publican Quality Meats.

Last edited by rdurlabhji; Jun 10, 16 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 10, 16, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Personal sources say they are supposed to have a really good beer program at the airport location (as far as selections at the airport go).

I'd expect a food program similar to Publican Quality Meats.
That would be pretty cool, even though I'm usually in T1. Here's hoping it does well and replaces the Pucks in T1 eventually too!
Old Jun 10, 16, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Here's hoping it does well and replaces the Pucks in T1 eventually too!
Depends on the leases. The Pucks are profitable under the outgoing leases, but the airport wanted more than Puck was willing to pay to renew.

I have nothing against WP and company, but will always be in favor of locally-based food outlets at any airport.
Old Jul 14, 16, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In an announcement concerning promotion of two chefs to positions where they are responsible for all restaurants in the Publican group, it was confirmed that the airport location was set to open before the end of the year, but nothing more specific than that.

Search this Thread