Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

O'Hare TSA lines--questions to make the flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

T5 TSA Lines

I have a flight coming up out of T5 (i.e. no PreCheck) and I was wondering if the TSA woes in T1-3 are impacting the international terminal too.

Should I plan on being there three hours early? It's an early evening flight if that makes a difference.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Anecdote rather than data: I've been flying out of there once a month on BA for a year and it's been getting steadily worse, but last Wednesday was dramatically worse than it has been up til now. At 6pm the fast track line (which is only fast track to the first agent, but still) was taking an hour, and the general line was far longer. Our 2035 flight ended up being held for several passengers, and people around me were complaining of spending 2+ hours in the line. I don't think anyone actually missed the flight, though.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How is tsa at ord for the other terminals, specifically UAL? Not precheck.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
How is tsa at ord for the other terminals, specifically UAL? Not precheck.
It's been terrible lately with waits over 2 hours some days.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsg20
people around me were complaining of spending 2+ hours in the line.
Ooof. Well I suppose I'll get there very early then. Better safe than sorry and at least there are some real places to get food now.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How is tsa for ual if flying in domestic F?
Old May 19, 2016, 12:02 pm

If anyone has any insight into this, please comment.

I'm sure you all have seen the news on O'Hare and the TSA lines there lately--O'Hare is recommending travelers get there 3 hours prior to their flight, and wait times in the TSA lines over 3 hours are not uncommon. My wife is going on a trip this weekend without me, and has to check a bag (already purchased)--she is on the first flight out on Frontier for the day. I called Frontier, and checked their website, and from what I can understand the ticket counters, and hence where she checks her bag, are only open 2 hours prior to the flight. How does that work if she has to wait 2.5 hours in line to even get to the gate? Especially since the security points only open 3 hours prior to the flight.

I'm telling her to just gate check the bag and we can deal with getting the refund later, but was wondering if anyone has run into something similar?
Old May 19, 2016, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk mtn1
Please follow this thread in the FT Chicago Forum.
Thanks.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 19, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It would be best for her to simply not bother checking a bag and to be more efficient. But, if that really won't work, make sure that the extra bag is not particularly large as she won't be permitted to take a large bag through the checkpoint (although TSA doesn't really enforce bag sizes).

I do hate to say it, but 3 hours really is necessary for the moment and there is no way that I would cut this shorter until the problem is dealt with.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:02 pm

Unfortunately checking a bag on the way there is necessary--fortunately it is a carry-on sized bag.

It is a really frustrating situation to be in. The ticket lines supposedly don't open until 3:55. The TSA lines until 3:30. There are rumors that the lines for the baggage alone are over 45 minutes.

Maybe I'll park and then check her bag for her while she stands in the TSA line. Not sure if that is allowed or not.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA, HA
FT gurus, is this ripe for a DOT complaint? I could see TSA fixing the problem, but that seems a longer stretch. Could DOT force airlines to open counters >3h early if TSA delays are expected >2h?
Old May 19, 2016, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mtn1
Unfortunately checking a bag on the way there is necessary--fortunately it is a carry-on sized bag.

It is a really frustrating situation to be in. The ticket lines supposedly don't open until 3:55. The TSA lines until 3:30. There are rumors that the lines for the baggage alone are over 45 minutes.

Maybe I'll park and then check her bag for her while she stands in the TSA line. Not sure if that is allowed or not.
I don't understand: Wife absolutely must check the bag but it's carry on sized? If it contains stuff that can't be taken on board, you won't be able to get it past TSA to check it at the gate. Also, AFAIK the passenger must show photo ID too check a bag, so I would assume that you cannot check it for her.

If your airline offers curbside check in for bags, that might help, assuming that they open early.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Not all the lines at ORD have been long, it's mainly been the checkpoints in the AA and UA terminals. In fact, on the AA board they recommend going over and using the checkpoints near the Delta gates if the lines are long near the AA gates. So if your wife encounters extremely long lines then tell her to go over to Term 2 and use the lines there and then walk back to her gate.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't understand: Wife absolutely must check the bag but it's carry on sized? If it contains stuff that can't be taken on board, you won't be able to get it past TSA to check it at the gate. Also, AFAIK the passenger must show photo ID too check a bag, so I would assume that you cannot check it for her.

If your airline offers curbside check in for bags, that might help, assuming that they open early.
She has enough stuff to fill 2 carry ons. So she has 2 carry ons, one must be checked.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure they'll let her take this through the checkpoint, especially if she has an additional personal item such as a purse or computer bag, backpack, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.