Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Conference in Chicago - Which hotel would you choose?

Conference in Chicago - Which hotel would you choose?

Old May 29, 16, 5:00 pm

IMHO - I'd stay at the Hyatt and Uber to a nice dinner each evening. It's August - it will be unbearable walking from any other hotel to your conferences each day (unless you want to arrive all sweated). There are amazing restaurants within a 10 minute Uber ride, so like another poster stated, don't have dinner in the hotel.
Old May 29, 16, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most US city centers are disaster zones with respect to high quality dining options.

I am actually staying at the Palmer House right now, and although it is a nice property a better location would be closer to the magnificent mile.

Last edited by Dieuwer; May 29, 16 at 9:43 pm
Old May 29, 16, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
CE

Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Most US city centers are disaster zones with respect to high quality dining options.
Maybe others, but Chicago? With 2 Michelin 3 star (Alinea and Grace) and many two and one star (Topolobampo, Tru, Acadia, Blackbird and on) plus manay others of similar quality, I don't think your theory applies in DC Chicago.
Old May 29, 16, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
Maybe others, but Chicago? With 2 Michelin 3 star (Alinea and Grace) and many two and one star (Topolobampo, Tru, Acadia, Blackbird and on) plus manay others of similar quality, I don't think your theory applies in DC Chicago.
Most of the restaurants you mention are NOT downtown (center). And with "downtown" (center) I am referring to the Loop area.
Old May 29, 16, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Most of the restaurants you mention are NOT downtown (center). And with "downtown" (center) I am referring to the Loop area.

This is like saying that Manhattan is devoid of fine dining because Le Bernadin, 11 Madison Park, Jean Georges and Per Se are not in the Wall Street/Financial District area.

If our hypothetical guest takes an Uber, that car only needs to go a couple of blocks to get from the Loop to River North or the Magnificent Mile areas.

Still, I respect your viewpoint. Thanks.
Old May 30, 16, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish Americans would take a cue from Europeans and create nice city squares with fountains, art, and loads of restaurants surrounding it.
Not sure why US city centers need to look like no-go zones in the evening.
Old Jun 3, 16, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

This is like saying that Manhattan is devoid of fine dining because Le Bernadin, 11 Madison Park, Jean Georges and Per Se are not in the Wall Street/Financial District area.

If our hypothetical guest takes an Uber, that car only needs to go a couple of blocks to get from the Loop to River North or the Magnificent Mile areas.

Still, I respect your viewpoint. Thanks.
River North and Mag Mile have nice dining options, but visitors really want to venture out to west Randolph. Fantastic dining options there.
Old Jun 3, 16, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
River North and Mag Mile have nice dining options, but visitors really want to venture out to west Randolph. Fantastic dining options there.
Is that the West Loop, or a different area?
Old Jun 3, 16, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that the West Loop, or a different area?
The Randolph Street restaurant row is part of West Loop.
http://www.opentable.com/chicago/west-loop-restaurants

Search this Thread
Search Engine: