FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   Conference in Chicago - Which hotel would you choose? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1761853-conference-chicago-hotel-would-you-choose.html)

Huntress May 29, 16 5:00 pm

IMHO - I'd stay at the Hyatt and Uber to a nice dinner each evening. It's August - it will be unbearable walking from any other hotel to your conferences each day (unless you want to arrive all sweated). There are amazing restaurants within a 10 minute Uber ride, so like another poster stated, don't have dinner in the hotel.

Dieuwer May 29, 16 9:20 pm

Most US city centers are disaster zones with respect to high quality dining options.

I am actually staying at the Palmer House right now, and although it is a nice property a better location would be closer to the magnificent mile.

Non-NonRev May 29, 16 9:47 pm

CE
 

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 26699260)
Most US city centers are disaster zones with respect to high quality dining options.

Maybe others, but Chicago? With 2 Michelin 3 star (Alinea and Grace) and many two and one star (Topolobampo, Tru, Acadia, Blackbird and on) plus manay others of similar quality, I don't think your theory applies in DC Chicago.

Dieuwer May 29, 16 10:18 pm


Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 26699316)
Maybe others, but Chicago? With 2 Michelin 3 star (Alinea and Grace) and many two and one star (Topolobampo, Tru, Acadia, Blackbird and on) plus manay others of similar quality, I don't think your theory applies in DC Chicago.

Most of the restaurants you mention are NOT downtown (center). And with "downtown" (center) I am referring to the Loop area.

Non-NonRev May 29, 16 10:51 pm


Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 26699408)
Most of the restaurants you mention are NOT downtown (center). And with "downtown" (center) I am referring to the Loop area.

:)

This is like saying that Manhattan is devoid of fine dining because Le Bernadin, 11 Madison Park, Jean Georges and Per Se are not in the Wall Street/Financial District area.

If our hypothetical guest takes an Uber, that car only needs to go a couple of blocks to get from the Loop to River North or the Magnificent Mile areas.

Still, I respect your viewpoint. Thanks.

Dieuwer May 30, 16 10:36 am

I wish Americans would take a cue from Europeans and create nice city squares with fountains, art, and loads of restaurants surrounding it.
Not sure why US city centers need to look like no-go zones in the evening.

gobluetwo Jun 3, 16 4:58 pm


Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 26699495)
:)

This is like saying that Manhattan is devoid of fine dining because Le Bernadin, 11 Madison Park, Jean Georges and Per Se are not in the Wall Street/Financial District area.

If our hypothetical guest takes an Uber, that car only needs to go a couple of blocks to get from the Loop to River North or the Magnificent Mile areas.

Still, I respect your viewpoint. Thanks.

River North and Mag Mile have nice dining options, but visitors really want to venture out to west Randolph. Fantastic dining options there.

Non-NonRev Jun 3, 16 4:59 pm


Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 26724846)
River North and Mag Mile have nice dining options, but visitors really want to venture out to west Randolph. Fantastic dining options there.

Is that the West Loop, or a different area?

jerry a. laska Jun 3, 16 5:39 pm


Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 26724852)
Is that the West Loop, or a different area?

The Randolph Street restaurant row is part of West Loop.
http://www.opentable.com/chicago/west-loop-restaurants


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:14 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.