Remaining vestiges of YX/Midwest Airlines/Midwest Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

Will be going to MKE/Milwaukee for the very first time in a few weeks (despite living in STL for more than a decade). Can anyone point me to any aviation/airline related sights in the area? I'm not thinking on the scale of American Airlines C.R. Smith museum near DFW or Museum of Flight at Everett WA but more along the lines of the Boeing Prologue Room near STL or the small Air France gallery that is (was) located in Central Paris.

For anyone who may be wondering: I never actually flew YX/Midwest/Midwest Express but was always fascinated by the airline. I know all about the labor, strategic, macroeconomic reasons they ultimately transitioned to third party operated flying, subsequent sale to Frontier, and ultimate dissolution but just wondering if any locals knoe of a spot in town or at the airport if there is anything to see.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:59 pm

A few things of potential interest (though your level of interest may vary...)

Mitchell Gallery of Flight is the small museum in the main terminal between the entrances to the C and D concourses. The displays rotate somewhat but at minimum there's some YX memorabilia in there. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but always something.

555 Air Cargo Way was the Midwest Airlines hanger, later used by Frontier and Republic. Thg bid Midwest signs were replaced by Frontier and Republic Airways signage. Those came down when they pulled out. There's still a smallish YX DC9 on the building front near the roof, and some small signage on the street which still says Midwest. The adjacent Air Cargo building has a few rather obsolete signs on it -- I think there's still a United tulip, there may still be a TWA sign but not sure.

Just west of the Midwest Airlines hangar is the Amtrak station, and a bit to the south as 6th St curves around the runway the 6th St observation area is located. This one is rather new and lightly used, but depending on air traffic that day it may be a spotting place.

The Skyway Airlines the Midwest Express Connection hangar at 401 E Layton Ave still has building signage. Just to the east of that is the main observation area on Layton Ave. At this observation lot you can listen to ATC over your FM radio.

That's about it -- the original YX headquarters in Milwaukee (after moving from ATW in about 1987) was the nondescript 5-story building at 4915 S Howell. In 1996 or so they moved into a new HQ at 6744 S Howell, sold to Bucyrus (later Caterpillar) in 2010ish. I don't think there's any trace YX at either. Back at the airport YX has quite a few offices and operational teams under the hammerhead of D (where Delta is now). Dispatch, crew scheduling, pilot's lounge, inflight, etc. were all down there but of course none of that is public access. And I've no idea if that was gutted or modified in any way, or if instead they removed anything of value and turned off the lights.

If you're looking for any tips or suggestions (food, drink, hotel, sights, etc.) while in MKE feel free to send a PM and I'd be happy to offer thoughts.

Last edited by knope2001; Mar 28, 2016 at 5:23 am
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
This brings back good memories of MKE-SFO round trips with a champagne breakfast out and a real lunch back. Also a trip to DCA which was delayed some hours by a hurricane in DC. It was a beautiful day in Milwaukee and they just said go off and enjoy yourselves. Give us a call every hour or so and we'll let you know when to come back. Those were the days!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Thank you both for your suggestions and information. I will report back.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
If you are flying in on AA, you'll be arriving on Concourse D, which was the home to YX for most of its heyday. There are many old YX tv commercials and corporate promo videos on YouTube where you can see that -- especially on the D hammerhead & rotunda -- things don't look a whole lot different now than they did 20-25 years ago.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:03 pm

I know this is an old thread I heard the skyway hanger has been sold so a Cessna will probably have to move out and Skywest Maybe buying the old Midwest hanger. I have a few pictures of what the two hangers look like inside now I will try to post them if anyone is still interested.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Gosh

Thanks for the reminder---I loved that airline!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:32 am

flymidwestexpress.com
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
Oh, wow, hopefully this is more than a pipe dream...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/...nes/552399001/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.