Reload this Page >

"When planes land at O'Hare, trip just getting started"

Old Nov 4, 15, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

I'm surprised no one else shared this article from the Chicago Tribune, highlighting two of my pet peeves: The long trip between terminal and runway, and the padding of travel times.

(It's behind a paywall but you should be able to access it for free if you've read fewer than 5 articles this month.)

Excerpts:
The 760-mile flight lasted 1 hour and 48 minutes from wheels up in Philadelphia to wheels down at O'Hare, according to a flight-tracking service. But the final 5 to 7 miles taxiing on the ground from 10 Right to the gate ate up an additional 30 minutes, according to monitoring by flightaware.com. And that's without stop-and-go, gridlock-level congestion on the airfield that would occur if flight volumes grow at O'Hare in the years ahead.
Officials at United Airlines said the taxi times during the less than three weeks since 10 Right opened are about what the airline expected. The taxi-in times to United gates have averaged 16 to 18 minutes, United spokesman Luke Punzenberger said. The taxi distance to United gates is shorter than the distance to American's gates, and the Lima Lima construction is not as much of a factor.
Flight 1333 finally arrived at the gate 2 hours and 18 minutes after taking off from Philly at 7:11 p.m., which, thanks to all the extra "block time'' airlines build into their schedules to compensate for delays, congestion and inefficiencies, was only two minutes after its scheduled gate arrival time. Flights arriving within 15 minutes of the scheduled arrival time are considered on time by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Old Nov 4, 15, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I saw this article. ORD has to have about the longest taxi in the US, even before the new runway. It only bothers me when the flight has already been delayed though. For comparison, one of my favorites is BUR, which is probably less than minute taxi.

I don't mind the padded schedule, to the extent it's to accurately cover ATC and other things that are out of the airlines' control. I think those things should be considered in the block time.

What I don't like is when the airlines add extra time because they know they're always late boarding a plane or to compensate for their own operational issues.
Old Nov 4, 15, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
Taxi time = fuel but looks like with low oil prices, airlines can deal???
Old Nov 5, 15, 6:38 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Be thankful you are not in Geneva Switzerland ... You actually Land in France
Old Nov 5, 15, 11:21 am

Location: New Jersey most of the time, also Germany, California and Florida for family and other places for business.
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold. Global Entry since 2014
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Be thankful you are not in Geneva Switzerland ... You actually Land in France
An excellent point! I was also thinking about AMS, where when landing on the Polderbaan runway (36L / 18R), your taxi to the main terminal can seem like forever.

Michael
Old Nov 5, 15, 11:24 am

Programs: AA
There's one runway at ORD that feels like you are taxiing all the way from Wisconsin. Of course, I only end up on that runway when my incoming flight is late and I have a short connection.
Old Nov 5, 15, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
DFW seems no better - I swear it feels like we're driving from West Fort Worth to the airport...

J
Old Nov 5, 15, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, Hertz PC, National EC Executive, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold
DFW and DEN come to mind as airports with long taxi times. 10R/28L is quite extreme at expected 20 min taxi time to terminal, but it's only supposed to be used at peak times. Much more frequently used 9L/27R ("Wisconsin") and 10C/28C ("Almost Indiana") runways aren't much better, at approx. 10-15 min. taxi times.

On the flip side, departures from [email protected] or even 22 are pretty painless.
Old Nov 6, 15, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Still not as bad as 18R/36L at AMS...
Old Nov 7, 15, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
There's one runway at ORD that feels like you are taxiing all the way from Wisconsin. Of course, I only end up on that runway when my incoming flight is late and I have a short connection.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 9, 15, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, Hertz PC, National EC Executive, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold
Got my first taste of 10R...touched down at 3:52pm, arrived K1 at 4:18pm. Insane.
Old Nov 10, 15, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA LTP; SPG Gold
I open up Waze on my iPhone to track progress to the gate. It helps me decide whether to keep reading or to pack up my stuff.
Old Nov 12, 15, 6:17 am
glg

Originally Posted by donnde View Post
I open up Waze on my iPhone to track progress to the gate. It helps me decide whether to keep reading or to pack up my stuff.
did waze tell you about the traffic jam crossing 10L?
Old Nov 12, 15, 11:18 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by donnde View Post
Originally Posted by glg View Post
did waze tell you about the traffic jam crossing 10L?
I'm envisioning a pilot saying to ATC (or would that be ground traffic control?): "Waze reports heavy traffic on that route. Can I get clearance to follow their re-route?"
Old Nov 12, 15, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
I'm envisioning a pilot saying to ATC (or would that be ground traffic control?): "Waze reports heavy traffic on that route. Can I get clearance to follow their re-route?"
Too funny

Cheers. Sharon

Search this Thread