Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
O'Hare's remodeled international terminal racking up record sales

Glad to hear it's been so successful:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...415-story.html
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm probably one of the only people that is annoyed that McDonald's is not airside with the rest of the restaurants. There are basically zero allergy-friendly/kid-friendly menu options.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Typical Tribune reporting. It gives the worst first impression to INTL travelers...you couldn't even get a cup of coffee after passing security. Um, that would be the LAST impression as they leave.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:20 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
I'm not sure what the buzz is about... If there was no place to get coffee post-security before redevelopment - not much of an exaggeration - shouldn't adding 24 new upscale retail shops and restaurants and nearly doubling retail and dining space at the terminal to nearly 30,000 square feet increase sales by *more than 69%*?

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by legalalien; May 16, 2015 at 3:26 am
Old May 16, 2015, 6:54 am

Remember, the terminal was built prior to 9/11. The mindset of the city and yes back then was concessions were to be built pre-security. The airlines were hesitant to build post security and the concessionaires even more since departing passenger counts weren't that great.

1. Lou Mitchell's
2. Hot Dog joint
3. Pizza Uno
4. McDonalds
5. Parades

This is what the city had to offer up until 2 years ago when the lights came on that something needed to be done with the influx of new carriers into T5 and the outcome from the investment by Westfield is showing.

While there hasn't been much talk recently, there's another 3000 sqft. of concession/ lounge space that's being build out. With WS, AY and soon FI operating within T5, Westfield realizes there's additional demands for services/concessions. The hold rooms will be getting refreshed with new seating and total carpet replacement is currently taking place on the arrivals side.

There's a shift now in removing the static signs behind the checkin counters and replacing with monitors as the final phase of replacing the FIDS system starts.

There's ongoing discussions about adding domestic claims as more preclearance cities are added.

The once White Elephant of ORD is finally shedding that image.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
I'm glad to see T5 moving towards becoming a modern terminal. It was a disgrace before this renovation started, no doubt about it.

The article, however, makes it look like a runaway commercial success...and I'm not sure it is. It appears the gains in sales aren't anything out of the ordinary: if you add real retail and food outlets where none (of note) existed, you should expect a hefty bump in sales. I sure hope it will be a commercial success, but the jury is still out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.