Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moops380
I think DUBlin will suffice. The only next logical places would be a321 to lhr or ams, or maybe cdg/ fra. Thats it. I agree with iceland not having any real business o/d. The model seemed to work because of low landing/connect taxes and being geographically well-located for fuel and smaller plane usage. That didn't work. I only took one $142 ams-cle wow flight and wish i could have taken more because it was actually a good option (was also last minute). Those prices were not sustainable and we will now suffer again from the lack of competitive pricing Tatl from CLE. I fly ~last minute on a monthly basis to europe from cle and v/v anything is welcome, but especially aer lingus due to the avios option. Also the pre clearance really puts it over the top. Dublin is a destination, not just a stopover.
And Cleveland will fit Aer Lingus's model. They fly to a lot of under served US markets and have been expanding their base in the recent years. And they partner with United for connecting flights. They also operate a hub in Dublin, so it can be used to connect to many popular European destinations.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
June 30 marks 20 year anniversary of the inaugural of CO service CLE-LGW. I was on the flight along with the mayor, other city officials, and press. CO 66. Got gifts when landing in London. The route operated year round initially. Route was a victim of 9-11 cuts but then restarted following May. They even did another inaugural. Route would then only opeeate seasonal for several years. Then was changed to CLE-LHR. I was on that inaugural too.
Funny story I was only going to London for 1 day got a good fare had to return next day. Had hotel booked at LHR then would take train into the city for a day. But customs officials initially would not let me clear to enter as they deemed me as coming into the country for a day as suspicious. I was not happy, they made me sit in a roped off area but eventually let me in.
CLE-LHR only lasted one summer then discontinued even when we were still a hub and that reason has been discussed on this site.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by trmbn65
. And they partner with United for connecting flights.
How much longer? Aren't they shifting to One World?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RobS
How much longer? Aren't they shifting to One World?
I know that's been speculated quite a bit but wasn't there an FT article where Aer Lingus stated they weren't going to leave *A?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I know that's been speculated quite a bit but wasn't there an FT article where Aer Lingus stated they weren't going to leave *A?
I don't think Aer Lingus is actually in *A so they can't leave

Based on them being owned by IAG I personally suspect its only a matter of time before they join OW, although they appear to enjoy their codeshares among members of all of the major alliances so maybe being alliance-less works for their business model. As it is, though the MP earning/burning with EI is already weird enough -- I mean I booked a UA award that included EI on EDI-DUB (part of CLE-ORD-EDI/EDI-DUB-EWR-CLE, all other segments operated by UA) but that same flight wouldn't be eligible to earn MP miles had it been a revenue ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Based on them being owned by IAG I personally suspect its only a matter of time before they join OW, although they appear to enjoy their codeshares among members of all of the major alliances so maybe being alliance-less works for their business model. As it is, though the MP earning/burning with EI is already weird enough -- I mean I booked a UA award that included EI on EDI-DUB (part of CLE-ORD-EDI/EDI-DUB-EWR-CLE, all other segments operated by UA) but that same flight wouldn't be eligible to earn MP miles had it been a revenue ticket.
While it would make sense to join OW, they seem to really try and keep costs down to have a shot at competing with Ryanair. It would cost them a fair sum of money to join OW, like any alliance.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA
It appears that along with the latest PR from UA regarding IAD and new Florida routes, CLE was also mentioned, including a new route: TPA. I know that they have Saturday only TPA in March/April...but the PR from UA indicates from October 2019... Link: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300830123.html
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by trmbn65
And Cleveland will fit Aer Lingus's model. They fly to a lot of under served US markets and have been expanding their base in the recent years. And they partner with United for connecting flights. They also operate a hub in Dublin, so it can be used to connect to many popular European destinations.
From your mouth to Stephen Kavanagh's ears.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:13 pm

British Aiways operating PIT-LHR. Why cant we get this service. Has anyone from the city been talking to them. Very similar market size.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
British Aiways operating PIT-LHR. Why can’t we get this service. Has anyone from the city been talking to them. Very similar market size.
There are a couple of factors in play:
  • PIT has a large base of OneWold members as an ex-USAirways hub.
  • The state of Pennsylvania provides a lot of financial support to incentivize new international service.
  • PIT has demonstrated the ability to support several international flights for a longer period than CLE.
  • PIT has much better FIS facilities and is investing in a new terminal.
  • Pittsburgh has a better overall regional economy and better governance than Cleveland.
SFO777 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by guy44134

There are a couple of factors in play:
  • PIT has a large base of OneWold members as an ex-USAirways hub.
  • The state of Pennsylvania provides a lot of financial support to incentivize new international service.
  • PIT has demonstrated the ability to support several international flights for a longer period than CLE.
  • PIT has much better FIS facilities and is investing in a new terminal.
  • Pittsburgh has a better overall regional economy and better governance than Cleveland.
Good points. The airport should not be run by the city it is a regional facility. The customs area was reset into a concourse originally built in the 1950s. The airport does to many remodels while its newest
concourse sits empty.
Tracking flights out of DTW,PHL,BOS, ATL, MIA many international flights not just by the hub airline many others. Direct service to London especially March thru October traffic factors.

World Class hearh facilitys people come world wide from London could also connect at LHR. Cleveland Clinic building a facility in London.
Several headquarter based companies in NE Ohio
Several college and universities draw international students. During summer months many from here travel to Europe for vacations could also connect at LHR. Market NE Ohio for tourism in the summer lots to do Cedar Point, workd class museums, great restaurants, MLB baseball.
How do we remove the city from operating a airport
to regional management. Other cities have done it. Should have been done 50 years ago.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:02 am
RNE

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
British Aiways operating PIT-LHR. Why cant we get this service. Has anyone from the city been talking to them. Very similar market size.
Because we're Cleveland. We can't have nice things.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:58 pm

Flight information displays and airport email is down. Strange story:

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019...l-airport.html
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Fox 8/WJW's coverage of the story is just about as strange -- including trying to link a passenger with a print-at-home UA boarding pass showing the gate as "Not Yet Assigned" (maybe 90% of my web check-in BPs) to the issue.

Though my wife was asking me if I hacked the airport so... (for the record: no)
RobS likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MM

Still down as of this afternoon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.