Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RNE
You and me both. But I'm still dubious that NEO'ers will embrace any such opportunity.
"Embrace an opportunity"? People are going to pick where they want to go and how they want to get there. They owe nothing to others in the process.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Icelander is canceling service from Cleveland for this summer. Not just because of the 737 Max issue but threw in passenger loads despite the face we had better loads then Kansas City where they will continue to service. They seem to being doing a lot of back pedellng on Cleveland service. Route was to be year round.
If I were the city I would move on from them and continue to talk with multiple airlines about trying to get service to Europe.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:23 am
RNE

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
"Embrace an opportunity"? People are going to pick where they want to go and yet still complain about having no non-stop TATL service from CLE.
Fixed that for you.
BearX220 and MIDWESTERNFLYER like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Fixed that for you.
I'll fix it for you as well. No one is complaining about no longer being able to fly non-stop only two thirds of the way across the Atlantic Ocean.

Edit for addition: Losing service to KEF is meaningless to NE Ohio and, frankly, I have a hard time seeing why any local government would want to subsidize it. The whole point of subsidizing service to Europe (or elsewhere) is to make the area more attractive as a business location. That's where the return on investment can at least be hoped for. No business is going to establish or add to a footprint in the Cleveland area because of an obscure flight to Iceland. Those are for tourists. Flights to LHR, LGW, CDG, AMS, FRA... those are of genuine interest to businesses. And simply being able to change planes at KEF for a flight to one of those cities adds nothing as well. It can just as easily be done at ORD, YYZ, EWR, JFK, IAD, and on and on.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Mar 28, 2019 at 9:40 am Reason: added content
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
And of tangential relevance but for anyone who hasn't noticed: WOW has now completely ceased operations

I'll fix it for you as well. No one is complaining about no longer being able to fly non-stop only two thirds of the way across the Atlantic Ocean.

Edit for addition: Losing service to KEF is meaningless to NE Ohio and, frankly, I have a hard time seeing why any local government would want to subsidize it. The whole point of subsidizing service to Europe (or elsewhere) is to make the area more attractive as a business location. That's where the return on investment can at least be hoped for. No business is going to establish or add to a footprint in the Cleveland area because of an obscure flight to Iceland. Those are for tourists. Flights to LHR, LGW, CDG, AMS, FRA... those are of genuine interest to businesses. And simply being able to change planes at KEF for a flight to one of those cities adds nothing as well. It can just as easily be done at ORD, YYZ, EWR, JFK, IAD, and on and on.

Not to mention that (unless I'm mistaken) it's a single flight -- which leaves precious little room to recover if things go sideways -- vs ORD/YYZ/EWR/JFK/IAD each with multiple frequencies and operated by significant network carriers so if ORD gets FUBARed there's likely a similar option via EWR or IAD for example.

I really don't understand the obsession with marginal TATL service.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I really don't understand the obsession with marginal TATL service.
A CLE-centric world view?

David
RNE likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:41 am

Article on the upcoming, long-overdue, much-anticipated new Master Plan for Hopkins: https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2...ster-plan.html
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by guy44134
Article on the upcoming, long-overdue, much-anticipated new Master Plan for Hopkins: https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2...ster-plan.html
This all reads like Nero fiddling while Rome burns. Sure, O'Hare is almost an order of magnitude larger than Hopkins but they just broke ground on an $8.5 billion terminal replacement/renovation plan (on top of the several billions spent on new runways and taxiways). All the while our officials in Cleveland fiddle around with where to load shuttle buses and how to find less than 1% of what Chicago is spending.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:43 am

This all reads like Nero fiddling while Rome burns. Sure, O'Hare is almost an order of magnitude larger than Hopkins but they just broke ground on an $8.5 billion terminal replacement/renovation plan (on top of the several billions spent on new runways and taxiways). All the while our officials in Cleveland fiddle around with where to load shuttle buses and how to find less than 1% of what Chicago is spending.
Ummm...that's exactly what the new Master Plan is supposed to address. Director Kennedy has mentioned spending up to a Billion dollars on redoing CLE.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by guy44134
Ummm...that's exactly what the new Master Plan is supposed to address. Director Kennedy has mentioned spending up to a Billion dollars on redoing CLE.
That would certainly help but where in the article on the Master Plan does it make any mention of it?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:33 am

That would certainly help but where in the article on the Master Plan does it make any mention of it?
In this article he mentioned, "We may be talking about $600, $700, $800, $900 million of financing with the air carriers," Kennedy told council members. "That's me guessing." I heard the billion number mentioned elsewhere. That's still a big chunk of change.

https://expo.cleveland.com/news/erry...ernationa.html
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:23 pm

I think DUBlin will suffice. The only next logical places would be a321 to lhr or ams, or maybe cdg/ fra. Thats it. I agree with iceland not having any real business o/d. The model seemed to work because of low landing/connect taxes and being geographically well-located for fuel and smaller plane usage. That didn't work. I only took one $142 ams-cle wow flight and wish i could have taken more because it was actually a good option (was also last minute). Those prices were not sustainable and we will now suffer again from the lack of competitive pricing Tatl from CLE. I fly ~last minute on a monthly basis to europe from cle and v/v anything is welcome, but especially aer lingus due to the avios option. Also the pre clearance really puts it over the top. Dublin is a destination, not just a stopover.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:07 am
RNE

All the while our officials in Cleveland fiddle around with where to load shuttle buses...
Just experienced the shuttle debacle this week.

ARRIVING: Passengers were disoriented when, after following "Terminal" signs, they were instead dumped into Baggage Claim. Yes, I realize that's part of the terminal per se, but departing passengers typically expect to see the ticketing area. Crazy fools. Meanwhile, several nearby officials sat around chatting with each other and offered no help. Nothing! Nothing! Nothing!

DEPARTING: It was a fire hazard trying to exit Door 1. People walked out and stop dead in their tracks expecting to see shuttle vans that weren't there. Seriously, the doorway was completely blocked with people. No one moved. There was no way out. Eventually, they figured out they had to turn left and begin a 50-yard, icy wind-swept trek to a cattle chute which offered little more protection from the elements. Even that chute, however, was useless because everybody stopped in its narrow confines in stupefaction.

Originally Posted by moops380
I think DUBlin will suffice. Dublin is a destination, not just a stopover.
Do you really think any EU airline is going to give CLE a go after Icelandair and WOW gave up? Yes, DUB is more of an O/D than KEF, but not enough more, IMHO.

RNE, explaining that I will support EI if it comes, but that's a long way off and very iffy given FI's retreat.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 5, 2019 at 6:29 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Do you really think any EU airline is going to give CLE a go after Icelandair and WOW gave up? Yes, DUB is more of an O/D than KEF, but not enough more, IMHO.

RNE, explaining that I will support EI if it comes, but that's a long way off and very iffy given FI's retreat.
Good points though it's worth noting the MAX 8/9 is 14% of IcelandAir's entire fleet. Having them grounded had to force some retrenchment in N. America and it's logical it would impact markets where they are least established.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:29 pm

Looks like Wow spent only $38,000 and Icelandair $200,000 of their incentive money at CLE last year. This leaves $1.8 million left to lure another carrier to CLE. Not that I'm terribly hopeful, but I would venture EI, DL, or AA as possible candidates.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...hts-to-iceland

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.