Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:34 am

Thanks for helping me out with this issue.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Both CLE and PIT has 9.6 MM passengers last year so it's probably as good a comparison as one can find. As for CLE being so landlocked, I suppose there's the possibility of using some of the now-vacant land east of 237 for parking or whatever. What if they built a new terminal on the site of the existing parking garage and, perhaps, outdoor lot?
When they deceided to build a new convention center downtown should have planned to then buy the IX Center as the site for a new terminal. Pittsburgh already rebuilt most of airport on the same site in the 1970’s. The congestion at the terminal will never be solved till the terminal is moved.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:46 pm

Apparently there are several billboards around town with Aer Lingus and Failte Cleveland (Welcome Cleveland) on them. Could this be a tease for new CLE-DUB service? The signs look kind of amateurish and don't have the EI logo or typeface. However, I see on other boards rumors that CLE will offer waived landing fees and advertising support for the route. I thought it was kind of late to announce new transatlantic service for this summer. Let's see what happens. By the way, gate A12 is now the 4th international swing gate--maybe a sign that another international carrier is on its way?
RNE and dergon darkhelm like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
​​​​There adding Minneapolis this summer. Lots of Irish in NE Ohio.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by guy44134
Apparently there are several billboards around town with Aer Lingus and Failte Cleveland (Welcome Cleveland) on them. Could this be a tease for new CLE-DUB service? The signs look kind of amateurish and don't have the EI logo or typeface. However, I see on other boards rumors that CLE will offer waived landing fees and advertising support for the route. I thought it was kind of late to announce new transatlantic service for this summer. Let's see what happens. By the way, gate A12 is now the 4th international swing gate--maybe a sign that another international carrier is on its way?
There are rumors Aer Lingus is looking for major eastern US expansions, most likely tied to deliveries of new A321LR aircraft. It's unclear if those new A321LRs will be ready this year, though.

Separately, the woeful INTL arrivals arrangement at CLE wouldn't matter for flights from DUB as they have US pre-clearance.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer

When they deceided to build a new convention center downtown should have planned to then buy the IX Center as the site for a new terminal.
The IX Center is MUCH bigger than the downtown convention center; it's profitable; it draws lots of out-of-town attendance; and nothing could replace it for the large industrial and consumer shows. I'm not sure that even a new air terminal could justify tearing it down.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobS
The IX Center is MUCH bigger than the downtown convention center; it's profitable; it draws lots of out-of-town attendance; and nothing could replace it for the large industrial and consumer shows. I'm not sure that even a new air terminal could justify tearing it down.
I also think that that lot may have logistical concerns like proximity to the runway safety area and difficult to orient all of the required services without encroaching (e.g. gates, parking, terminal infrastructure, etc.) -- best bet would likely be to reconfigure D to a more usable floorplan (it always felt awkward / not enough seating/circulation even when it was only used for express -- and of course the turboprop fingers would need to be demolished and rebuilt anyway), build ticket counter space on the end of it then rebuild C (and possibly B depending on gate counts) pushing the ticket counter and baggage claim further into the current terminal area to allow more space for landside circulation -- and then likely demolish A.

This would allow some of the existing infrastructure to be repurposed and have minimal impact on supporting infrastructure (e.g. RTA red line, parking garage, approach roads, etc.) and likely substantially lower cost than a greenfield solution. Is the IX center even in the corporate limits of Cleveland or is it in Berea?

Alternatively "flipping" the airport and putting terminals where NASA/UPS is currently would make some sense -- but would probably irritate both NASA and UPS
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:17 am

I guess someone jumped the gun. Maybe CLE-DUB in 2020?

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...icle7-readmore
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:07 am
RNE

I guess someone jumped the gun. Maybe CLE-DUB in 2020?
If it happens, I'd prefer EI to FI, even though it's only one letter different. Of course, I'll have to act fast. Clevelanders will undoubtedly squander this opportunity to avoid the likes of ORD and EWR when Europe bound. Watch.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:49 pm

CLEAR is coming to CLE: https://www.clearme.com/. Here are the three kiosks at the Central Checkpoint. There are also machines near the South Checkpoint.

Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
CLEAR is coming to CLE: https://www.clearme.com/. Here are the three kiosks at the Central Checkpoint. There are also machines near the South Checkpoint.
This may not (probably isn't) the thread for this but I've often wondered about the value proposition of CLEAR... and now that its coming to 'my airport' I guess the question is can someone sell me on why I'd want to pay $15 a month for it? So far as I can tell from observing it in action at DCA the only advantage over TSA PRE is that you use biometrics instead of showing an ID -- but for $15 a month I can take the 3 seconds it requires pull my drivers license out x 4 trips a month, TYVM, especially when it's at so few airports [excepting CLE and LAX, none of the airports I regularly begin or end a trip at appear to be hosting CLEAR]...

I feel like I have to be missing something, but looking at CLEAR's website I still can't figure out the value proposition...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
This may not (probably isn't) the thread for this but I've often wondered about the value proposition of CLEAR...
This is the thread for discussing CLEAR:
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I feel like I have to be missing something, but looking at CLEAR's website I still can't figure out the value proposition...
After checking in at the Clear kiosk, the Clear agent walks you directly up to the TSA agent's podium, so you don't have to wait in the Precheck line.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Just received an email from CLEAR that they are now open at CLE's Center and South checkpoints. I'm curious how that's going to work at the South checkpoint which I don't believe has full-time TSA Pre -- unless this means TSA Pre will be open whenever Clear is open or vice versa...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by paule123
Just received an email from CLEAR that they are now open at CLE's Center and South checkpoints. I'm curious how that's going to work at the South checkpoint which I don't believe has full-time TSA Pre -- unless this means TSA Pre will be open whenever Clear is open or vice versa...
Ah. So, it is clear that CLEAR is unclear at CLE...

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.