Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:22 am

Looks like City Hall actually listened to the traveling public and transportation providers for a change. Cubside drop-offs and pickups resume 2/18/19.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...-vehicles.html
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:13 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
Looks like City Hall actually listened to the traveling public...[
Customers are so pesky.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Seattle

Alaska is starting CMH-SEA next month. Wounder is we have talked with them. Frontier operates the route seasonal but not daily. Continental/United ooerated the route for years.
RNE likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA MM
If we could only have some forward thinking like they had/have in Edmonton:

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colu...tional-airport
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If we could only have some forward thinking like they had/have in Edmonton:

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colu...tional-airport
Great article. Thanks for sharing. It would be nice for something similar to happen here, but it seems that looking more than a few months into the future when investment is concerned around here is exceptionally rare.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
UA 4970 today

So I am reading on the Hopkins Facebook page runway closed for10 minuntes for snow removal. US 4970 EWR-CLE diverted to CAK. So it did not have fuel to hold for 10 minuntes. Sat in CAK for over an hour.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Feb 18, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
So I am reading on the Hopkins Facebook page runway closed for10 minuntes for snow removal. US 4970 EWR-CAK diverted to CAK. So it did not have fuel to hold for 10 minuntes. Sat in CAK for over an hour.
Ah, just figured it out - UA4970 was originally EWR-CLE. With runway closure, diverted to CAK, refueled and then arrived in CLE over 3 hours late.

David
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
So I am reading on the Hopkins Facebook page runway closed for10 minuntes for snow removal. US 4970 EWR-CAK diverted to CAK. So it did not have fuel to hold for 10 minuntes. Sat in CAK for over an hour.
I'll make a guess....

If the airport is closed to arrivals, en route flights don't simply assume when it will be reopened. The runway probably was still closed at the time they had to decide on a diversion to CAK with enough reserve fuel.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Cleveland.com: Ambitious Pittsburgh airport plan offers lessons for Cleveland Hopkins – Steven Litt

The article is okay and talks about the upcoming PIT master plan and renovations. The author could have referred to IND as a comparison to CLE in terms of number of passengers annually, but since IND is a huge FedEx air cargo hub, CLE is likely a no-go for financing a mostly passenger terminal in a region with declining population.

A public-private partnership would be interesting for managing the airport assets, but who's going to swoop in and try to turn it around?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ianmanka
Cleveland.com: Ambitious Pittsburgh airport plan offers lessons for Cleveland Hopkins – Steven Litt

The article is okay and talks about the upcoming PIT master plan and renovations. The author could have referred to IND as a comparison to CLE in terms of number of passengers annually, but since IND is a huge FedEx air cargo hub, CLE is likely a no-go for financing a mostly passenger terminal in a region with declining population.

A public-private partnership would be interesting for managing the airport assets, but who's going to swoop in and try to turn it around?
Both CLE and PIT has 9.6 MM passengers last year so it's probably as good a comparison as one can find. As for CLE being so landlocked, I suppose there's the possibility of using some of the now-vacant land east of 237 for parking or whatever. What if they built a new terminal on the site of the existing parking garage and, perhaps, outdoor lot?
guy44134 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:42 pm

I’m picking my elderly mother up March 8th, flying in on Fronteir. She will be in a wheelchair with a large suitcase. Pretty sure she will have a porter help her. I have a handicap hang tag for my car. Flight arrives at 6:41pm. What’s the easiest way to collect her?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I’m picking my elderly mother up March 8th, flying in on Fronteir. She will be in a wheelchair with a large suitcase. Pretty sure she will have a porter help her. I have a handicap hang tag for my car. Flight arrives at 6:41pm. What’s the easiest way to collect her?
I'd plan on arriving at least 15 mins prior to landing, park in the short term parking structure attached to the terminal, in a handicapped spot on the same level as the skybridge (Level 3?). Walk over and meet her at baggage claim. There's elevators up to the skybridge and over to the parking lot. I wouldn't count on a porter willing to wait with her curbside.

This is what I do when I have to meet my mother (non handicapped) at the airport. Sure it costs a few bucks for an hour of parking but it's a sure thing and no stress dealing with curbside traffic, possible flight delays, and airport cops.
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:16 am

Thanks paule123. I will check on what level the sky bridge is.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Thanks paule123. I will check on what level the sky bridge is.
It's Level 3 of the garage.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It's Level 3 of the garage.

^ 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.