Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:41 am
RNE

CLE's problems are not the failings of its management, the government, or the airlines. It's the people's fault. They don't see the need for a world-class airport. Air travel is an elitist pursuit.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:21 pm

Here are some pictures of the new ground transportation system in place. Note the number of new signs/banners located throughout the terminal, some of which are rather confusing or misleading.

New passenger drop off area (former taxi stand). Happily, there are personnel there to assist with directions and wheelchair assistance.

Poor signage directing dropped off passengers to central elevators rather than to the left to the elevator or escalator for check-in for UA, AC and WN.

Directions to new taxi stand.

Signage right inside door from rental car shuttle near carousel #6 directing passengers to elevator for check-in for listed airlines.

Sign near carousel #5 directing passengers to elevator for check-in for listed airlines.

New Taxi stand.

Poorly-placed sign in the center of baggage claim that's supposed to direct passengers to the escalator between carousels 2 & 3 for check-in. There is an identical banner near the said escalator (in left corner of pic).

Last edited by guy44134; Jan 6, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guy44134
Here are some pictures of the new ground transportation system in place. Note the number of new signs/banners located throughout the terminal, some of which are rather confusing or misleading.
In typical CLE fashion it's a cluster...thing.

I got home from my first trip of the year just before Midnight Friday (sitting in the ORD UC on trip #2 as I type this but I digress...) and the first Park Place shuttle departed 100% full with "another shuttle right behind me" -- appeared 15-20ish minutes later, by which time more than another shuttle full of passengers arrived (leaving 3 behind). The driver -- one of my regulars -- said all of the Uber traffic at the checkpoint was to blame and that it was a "horrendous mess".

Since I'm out of town for 11 days on this trip my wife dropped me off curbside this afternoon and it certainly hasn't seemed to make a noticeable change in traffic on the upper roadway, at least. (As my wife noted... if they really wanted to do something they'd fix the terrible traffic flow that requires a last second jog to the only through lane to avoid winding up in valet land.

Yet again the airport has found a way to make traveling through it more miserable without any apparent tangible benefit. I wonder what idiotic idea will be next. Any votes? I feel like moving TSA PRE to the A end of the terminal would be a logical* move.

*In the CLE sense of logical, not the "normal person using the airport" sense
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
In typical CLE fashion it's a cluster...thing.

I got home from my first trip of the year just before Midnight Friday (sitting in the ORD UC on trip #2 as I type this but I digress...) and the first Park Place shuttle departed 100% full with "another shuttle right behind me" -- appeared 15-20ish minutes later, by which time more than another shuttle full of passengers arrived (leaving 3 behind). The driver -- one of my regulars -- said all of the Uber traffic at the checkpoint was to blame and that it was a "horrendous mess".

Since I'm out of town for 11 days on this trip my wife dropped me off curbside this afternoon and it certainly hasn't seemed to make a noticeable change in traffic on the upper roadway, at least. (As my wife noted... if they really wanted to do something they'd fix the terrible traffic flow that requires a last second jog to the only through lane to avoid winding up in valet land.
Not sure what the Uber/Lyft pickup area, which hasn't changed in almost 3 years, has to do with parking shuttles. It could have been a particularly busy evening? This seems to be a capacity/staffing problem of Park Place, not an issue with CLE. But I do agree that the location of the valet parking is less-than-ideal. But where should they move it to? Seriously-any ideas?

Remember we're stuck with essentially a 60+ year-old overall airport layout and a 40 year-old terminal and roadway system (the upper roadway is essentially an aging bridge that forms the roof of the baggage claim level-another reason CLE has wanted to move large vehicle traffic off of the terminal roadways). I sure hope the new airport master plan will address these issues and come up with a BIG FIX option (as Kennedy intimated in an interview last year), i.e. a brand new terminal and roadway complex.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Not sure what the Uber/Lyft pickup area, which hasn't changed in almost 3 years, has to do with parking shuttles. It could have been a particularly busy evening? This seems to be a capacity/staffing problem of Park Place, not an issue with CLE. But I do agree that the location of the valet parking is less-than-ideal. But where should they move it to? Seriously-any ideas?

Remember we're stuck with essentially a 60+ year-old overall airport layout and a 40 year-old terminal and roadway system (the upper roadway is essentially an aging bridge that forms the roof of the baggage claim level-another reason CLE has wanted to move large vehicle traffic off of the terminal roadways). I sure hope the new airport master plan will address these issues and come up with a BIG FIX option (as Kennedy intimated in an interview last year), i.e. a brand new terminal and roadway complex.
A new terminal and relocated roadways should have been done years ago. The city running the airport has been a big issue. Over the years so many inexperienced and unqualified people running the airport.
guy44134 and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I recall CO did say why they discontinued CLE-LHR service. They had limited slots available at LHR and they were able to make more money by dedicating all the slots they had to EWR and IAH.

Delta can make CVG-CDG viable because CDG is a huge hub for SkyTeam and they are still the largest carrier at CVG by a decent margin. Far different for UA at CLE since there are no *A connection opp

ortunities at LHR to take advantage of.
With the additional DL flights adding BOS not far behind UA in departures why can’t they add a direct Paris flight. Pittsburgh flights ended not sure why it did not work. DL from CLE will serve ATL, LGA, BDL, RDU, DTW, MSP, JFK, SLC, and BOS.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
CLE escalator operations back to NORMAL status

Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer

With the additional DL flights adding BOS not far behind UA in departures why can’t they add a direct Paris flight. Pittsburgh flights ended not sure why it did not work. DL from CLE will serve ATL, LGA, BDL, RDU, DTW, MSP, JFK, SLC, and BOS.
Realistically, Delta cares about Boston, not Cleveland. For all practical purposes, they're adding Cleveland as a destination from their focus city Boston and not the other way around.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:25 am
RNE

Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
CLE escalator operations back to NORMAL status.
Abby Normal

RNE, sharing...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
CLE escalator operations back to NORMAL status
LOL, unbelievable. You should send that pic over to the Fox 8 I-team so they can ask the airport director how this is impacting customers using the new taxi stand at the ground transportation center.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:55 pm

Lots of CLE news this week:

Passenger traffic up 5.5% in 2018, highest in 10 years:

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...-10-years.html

Frontier adding CHS and SFO, dropping PDX:

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...-portland.html

Allegiant also adding CHS, plus ORF (first time served since 2008 by CO):

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...leston-sc.html

Air traffic controllers talk to passengers at CLE in an effort to end the shutdown:

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...-shutdown.html
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Just announced BOS flight ending 3/7. Delta will pick this route up.
Which airline, Jet Blue? Would be nice to be able to fly DL direct into both CLE and CMH, since my mom lives exactly 1/2 way between
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by navi_jen
Which airline, Jet Blue? Would be nice to be able to fly DL direct into both CLE and CMH, since my mom lives exactly 1/2 way between
United is dropping BOS, Delta is adding it, and JetBlue remains on the route.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:58 am

Official year-end traffic figures were released for CLE, with 9,642,729 passengers served in 2018, a 5.5% increase over 2017, and more than any year since 2009.

https://www.clevelandairport.com/cle...-continue-soar
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Kudos to the shuttle driver at Fast Park who gave me a jump at midnight in the subzero temperature. Excellent service! ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.