Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Eater - Where to Eat at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:33 am
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
Looks like the broken escalator will be back in service by Monday!
That gutted escalator was a First World punch in the gut to me after struggling to get to CLE on the icy morning of Nov. 10 (Turnpike traffic was going only 50 mph!). The elevator is glacially slow and can't handle the passenger load at peak times.

RNE, asking Why does that choke point exist at all? What century is this?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by RNE
That gutted escalator was a First World punch in the gut to me after struggling to get to CLE on the icy morning of Nov. 10 (Turnpike traffic was going only 50 mph!). The elevator is glacially slow and can't handle the passenger load at peak times.

RNE, asking Why does that choke point exist at all? What century is this?
The escalator is finally fixed: https://fox8.com/2018/11/19/i-team-h...finally-fixed/

It exists because it is a design from the early 1970's over the bones of a mid-1950's terminal in a 93 year old airport. The only solution is a brand new terminal. I can't imagine any other interim solution to the escalators and the two elevators due to space constraints.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA MM
The escalator is finally fixed: https://fox8.com/2018/11/19/i-team-h...finally-fixed/

It exists because it is a design from the early 1970's over the bones of a mid-1950's terminal in a 93 year old airport. The only solution is a brand new terminal. I can't imagine any other interim solution to the escalators and the two elevators due to space constraints.
And it could be done. Build a new and larger terminal on the footprint of the existing parking garage plus the existing terminal. Build a new garage in the place where they tore down the old long-term garage. The bonus: moving the terminal closer to route 237 would help in being able to connect it to dormant D concourse. If nothing else, use of concourse D would help the logistics of rebuilding concourses A, B, and C (maybe into one continuous concourse).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:26 am
RNE

It exists because it is a design from the early 1970's BC, built over the bones of Pharaoh Senusret I.
I fixed that for you.

RNE, not pulling that name out of thin air. Senusret I ruled about then.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:29 am
RNE

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
And it could be done. Build a new and larger terminal...
I wish. But I think the hope of a new-build left when United took its hub and went home.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
I wish. But I think the hope of a new-build left when United took its hub and went home.
Given that passenger numbers are up and the fact that these days outstation/competitive cities seem to have nicer facilities and more aggressive development/renovation plans than hubs (IAD, ORD, and a healthy portion of both BWI and SFO, I'm looking at you) I'm not sure that one is tied to the other and perhaps UA no longer being the prime MII tenant may bode better.

That said, given the massive amount of money CLE invested in the boondoggle that was the renovation/customer experience downgrade I think it's probably at least another 10 years before we stand a chance of any kind of significant redevelopment.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Given that passenger numbers are up and the fact that these days outstation/competitive cities seem to have nicer facilities and more aggressive development/renovation plans than hubs (IAD, ORD, and a healthy portion of both BWI and SFO, I'm looking at you) I'm not sure that one is tied to the other and perhaps UA no longer being the prime MII tenant may bode better.

That said, given the massive amount of money CLE invested in the boondoggle that was the renovation/customer experience downgrade I think it's probably at least another 10 years before we stand a chance of any kind of significant redevelopment.
Fully agree. What major tenant airline facilitated the rebuild of AUS, RDU, MSY (opening next year), just to name three with passenger volumes in the same league as CLE? The obvious answer in each case is "none". I also agree we likely won't see a new CLE airport in the next two decades as the city is ridiculously dysfunctional.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:52 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I think it's decades away and won't happen even then without the financial help of an airline who hubs CLE. Continental was on that long course... but, oh well.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA US
Such pessimism.

At the rate CLE is paying down its debt, they will be able to "afford" a major construction project (a billion or so?) in the 2023-4 timeframe - which is just about the right timing to implement whatever their new master plan will come up with, due for release in 2021-2. So new terminal ribbon cutting in 2026-7? Maybe; I'll become more optimistic if the end of 2018 shows an area population gain, however small.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:29 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by RobS
...a major construction project...
That'll be the day!

RNE, not daring to hope for even an enclosed facility for off-site parking shuttle drop-off/pick-up by '26-27.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Maybe they'll just increase landing fees even more exorbitantly than they already are to fund a airport and drive out all the LCC growth they've seen
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
On a different note-- some solid thinking on UA's part today. My flight to ORD got cancelled, went to rebook for tomorrow and saw a 753 running CLE-ORD 15 min after a 738. Turns out the 753 was the browns charter in tonight and instead of ferrying it back out empty, they opened it up as a rev (rescue) flight tomorrow morning. Should be interesting to see what gate they use. Don't think any in the banjo can accommodate a 757??
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by rolltribe
On a different note-- some solid thinking on UA's part today. My flight to ORD got cancelled, went to rebook for tomorrow and saw a 753 running CLE-ORD 15 min after a 738. Turns out the 753 was the browns charter in tonight and instead of ferrying it back out empty, they opened it up as a rev (rescue) flight tomorrow morning. Should be interesting to see what gate they use. Don't think any in the banjo can accommodate a 757??
UA2827 will be using C27.
RNE likes this.

Last edited by guy44134; Nov 26, 2018 at 5:38 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rolltribe
... Should be interesting to see what gate they use. Don't think any in the banjo can accommodate a 757??
A few years ago, the SFO-->CLE flight was on a 757, and we landed at the end of the banjo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.