Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by manneca
About Iceland not being attractive. Iceland is becoming a huge destination. (Maybe not for Clevelanders.) It doesn't have a large enough tourist infrastructure to support the tourists it's getting. I was booked on the first Iceland Air flight (had to cancel because my son broke his ankle and I had to be chief caregiver) but I was looking for hotels for May in fall of last year and there were some that were already booked up. But I think it's a end of the list item for lots of people. I'm disappointed that Iceland air is not scheduling flights until May. I was hoping to catch a flight for aurora watching in March.
Some perspective is worthwhile. Number of tourists in 2017 (sampling):

France 89M
Italy 52M (2016)
UK 36M
Ireland 9M
Iceland 2M
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Better than announcing they're not coming back at all. And May is when FI started last year. Why does any of this suck?
Agreed that they're coming back, but disappointed that their return is delayed by two months. I would think that the demise of WOW's competition would encourage FI to increase their CLE service.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:59 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by manneca
I was hoping to catch a flight for aurora watching in March.
FI's not the only airline that flies to KEF.

Originally Posted by guy44134
Agreed that they're coming back, but disappointed that their return is delayed by two months. I would think that the demise of WOW's competition would encourage FI to increase their CLE service.
FI doesn't think there's demand, but maybe that's because they don't know how to create it.

RNE, suspecting the results of a survey of NEO'ers asking them, "Where does Icelandair fly?" Probably 90% would say "Iceland."
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:26 pm

Cleveland City Council approved $3 million in "enhancements" to the Ground Transportation Center: https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/i...n_improve.html
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:52 pm

Cleveland City Council approved $3 million in "enhancements" to the Ground Transportation Center: https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/i...n_improve.html
Though not mentioned, I'm sure more awful speed bumps will be part of the design package.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
I was going to post this, but I wasn't sure how to summarize the article. I think it's "longer walk, bigger tarp."
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
I was going to post this, but I wasn't sure how to summarize the article. I think it's "longer walk, bigger tarp."
I love how every "improvement" the airport brings us just makes the experience suck more.

We're going to improve parking by tearing down the long term garage = parking becomes scarce enough that I don't even try to park at the airport anymore

We're going to improve the offsite shuttle experience by putting you under a tarp after you walk 1/2 way to Akron [I'm sure its only a matter of time before they install a moving sidewalk between the airport and Snow Road parking to call that an improvement...]

We're going to improve security by making TSA PRE only available at the least convenient checkpoint for 2/3rds of the passengers (and having flown AA recently because UA couldn't get me CLE-BDA-CLE on a sane schedule, let alone with a stomachable fare.... ... is up with having AA's counter at the opposite end of the airport from their gates? It's not like there's a scarcity of vacant ticket counter space...]
RNE and FreqFlyerCLE like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The entire airport needs rebuilt. The roadways by the terminal are cramped. Same pattern basically as in the
1960’s. Use FLL as an example airports were similar back then FLL has spent billions new terminals and expanded traffic pattern. The city needs to get out of airport management.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M

Which has better odds: me winning the next billion dollar powerball or the CLE escalator going back in service? Hello jackpot!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway

Which has better odds: me winning the next billion dollar powerball or the CLE escalator going back in service? Hello jackpot!
For as freaking long as it has taken a glimmer of hope -- when I stopped by the airport Wednesday to pick up my bag that took a different flight than I did Tuesday I saw a pallet of new esclator treads and a dude actually doing work, so it seems like it may be back in service before ethe close of the decade.

Now if only we could mute .....ing Betty with the "please watch your step..." Recordings. Wouldn't mind one bit of those went permanently out of service.

(Incidentally I was amused that the baggage service office was practically insisting on delivering my bag... But I live in CleHts and was driving to a project in Michigan, so was just easier to pick it up on my way to the turnpike)
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by OhioExile
WOW is out. Last flight is next week and they will not be returning next year. Let's hope that improves the viability of the Icelandair flight when it (hopefully) returns.
Icelandair delays return to CLE from March to May! That sucks.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:30 pm

September passenger figures for CLE have been released. Still showing growth, although it is slowing down some.

Facts & Figures | Cleveland Hopkins Airport
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:52 am

Looks like the broken escalator will be back in service by Monday!

https://fox8.com/2018/11/16/hopkins-...led-by-i-team/
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
UA is bringing back CLE-TPA for March
JimInOhio and FreqFlyerCLE like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
UA is bringing back CLE-TPA for March
It looks like one flight per WEEK (Saturdays) on an E175.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.